Author Topic: iThread (AKA Apple Thread) (2010)  (Read 37470 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)
« Reply #50: October 25, 2010, 09:50:27 PM »
All valid points.

The dock was one of the things I liked about OS X.  Much better, IMO, than the taskbar in windows.  Then windows 7 sort of copied the idea of the dock in OS X.  And made it better.  I now prefer it to the mac's dock.

I'd probably have more to say if I did anything of consequence on my laptops but if all you do is surf the web and instant message, almost any OS can handle that pretty competently.  Even most of the stuff I posted above is minor or a matter of adjusting.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #51: October 26, 2010, 08:57:23 AM »
the new mac mouse with the touch top easily keeps me a happy mac user (I'm easily pleased and amused)

Offline The Chief

« Reply #52: October 26, 2010, 09:15:33 AM »
the new mac mouse with the touch top easily keeps me a happy mac user (I'm easily pleased and amused)

Hey, whatever floats your boat!  I could never use a mouse that small for the same reason I don't use "notebook" mice - way too small for comfortable use with my monkey paws.  It's a neat concept though.  I actually really like Macbook trackpads.  The newer ones with no physically discrete button threw me for a while until I realized you can treat them exactly like the old ones with discrete buttons.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #53: October 26, 2010, 07:46:30 PM »
Can anyone verify that the iPhone is coming out with Verizon in January?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #54: October 26, 2010, 07:54:43 PM »
The iPhone has been coming out on Verizon in X month since 2007 :lol:

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #55: October 26, 2010, 07:59:19 PM »
true, but i saw it on the WSJ

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #56: October 27, 2010, 08:10:55 AM »
Apparently they are manufacturing a CDMA version, but verizon isn't the only company that uses that standard. In the US sprint uses it, but internationally it could mean china telecom or south america

Offline The Chief

« Reply #57: November 15, 2010, 01:23:58 AM »
Hey Nathan, quick question for you - how the hell do you maximize a window in Mac OS?  The green + button only seems to max vert, but I want to fill all available screen space.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #58: November 15, 2010, 01:31:49 AM »
Hey Nathan, quick question for you - how the hell do you maximize a window in Mac OS?  The green + button only seems to max vert, but I want to fill all available screen space.
A bane of many Mac users.  That button maximizes in the sense that it makes the window wide enough to fit the content, but not fullscreen.  Typical Mac usage you kinda just have windows all jumbled on top of one another and use expose to quickly switch.  Windows usage always seems to be working in one window at a time, taking up all space.  Different ui philosophies I guess :shrug:

What app is it?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #59: November 15, 2010, 01:36:28 AM »
Firefox and Chrome.  Not that big of a deal, just resized them to fill up the screen.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #60: November 15, 2010, 01:42:39 AM »
To be honest, it used to bug me when I got my first mac, but I learned to appreciate it and now prefer it on big screens.  But yeah, for a laptop with a 13" or 15" screen, I can see why you'd prefer it full screen.

I don't know if this still works, but you could create a bookmark on the bookmarks bar set to

Code: [Select]
javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight);
That'll resize to full screen.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #61: November 15, 2010, 01:43:39 AM »
lol I remember that trick.  Used to use it to fit all my windows on one screen before I found a decent edge-snapping util.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #62: November 22, 2010, 08:41:14 PM »
I just bought my wife an iPad (32 GB / WiFi ) for an early Christmas present.  Still not sure I did the right thing given cheaper alternatives and the fact that a 13" Macbook is now $999 at BestBuy and they give you a $100 gift card (the iPad was $599).  But, she's going through a rough time now and I figured she'll enjoy watching Glee on the iPad for a while (I'm getting her the Hulu Plus subscription for $7.99 a month).

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #63: November 22, 2010, 08:44:18 PM »
It's much easier to lounge around reading or watching tv on an ipad than a laptop

Offline Nathan

« Reply #64: November 22, 2010, 08:51:56 PM »
I just bought my wife an iPad (32 GB / WiFi ) for an early Christmas present.  Still not sure I did the right thing given cheaper alternatives and the fact that a 13" Macbook is now $999 at BestBuy and they give you a $100 gift card (the iPad was $599).  But, she's going through a rough time now and I figured she'll enjoy watching Glee on the iPad for a while (I'm getting her the Hulu Plus subscription for $7.99 a month).

If you have a Netflix subscription, there is also a Netflix application.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #65: November 22, 2010, 08:57:49 PM »
not yet, but thanks!

Offline The Chief

« Reply #66: November 22, 2010, 09:21:22 PM »
It's much easier to lounge around reading or watching tv on an ipad than a laptop

I'm going to have to disagree, at least for 13"-sized computers like the base macbook or smallest macbook pro.  The only situation where I see it potentially being "easier" is perhaps if you're lying on your back, and even then the ipad demands a lot more arm movement that you generally wouldn't need to do with a touchpad-based device.

Matter of opinion of course, but I just can't see dropping the money on an ipad when you can get a drastically more capable device for not that much more money.  I like the ipad from a purely gadgetlust perspective, but I just can't relate to the niches it supposedly fills.  I also feel like using a 10" touchscreen requires a lot more physical effort than a 3-4" touchscreen.  Just not my cup of tea.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #67: November 22, 2010, 09:22:44 PM »
What's with all the Chief / Macbook love lately :shock:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #68: November 22, 2010, 09:31:49 PM »
I've had the macbook loaner from work for almost 2 years now and I like it a lot.  I'm a hardware snob and it's very hard to find a notebook that isn't full of compromises.  Unless price is your foremost concern, it's hard to objectively deny that macbooks are some of the nicest notebooks out there.  I use my self-built desktop for heavy lifting anyway, so all I really require from a notebook is long battery life, a decent screen & touchpad, and that it not feel like a cheap piece of crap.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #69: November 22, 2010, 09:36:52 PM »
I'm going to have to disagree, at least for 13"-sized computers like the base macbook or smallest macbook pro.  The only situation where I see it potentially being "easier" is perhaps if you're lying on your back, and even then the ipad demands a lot more arm movement that you generally wouldn't need to do with a touchpad-based device.

Matter of opinion of course, but I just can't see dropping the money on an ipad when you can get a drastically more capable device for not that much more money.  I like the ipad from a purely gadgetlust perspective, but I just can't relate to the niches it supposedly fills.  I also feel like using a 10" touchscreen requires a lot more physical effort than a 3-4" touchscreen.  Just not my cup of tea.

When I had my back problems, I worked in bed with my netbook for months. Sorry, I'm a Samsung fanboy.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #70: November 22, 2010, 09:42:39 PM »
Whatever works for you, but I'm not sure what that has to do with me saying an ipad is less than ideal for bed use :confused:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #71: November 22, 2010, 10:07:23 PM »
Whatever works for you, but I'm not sure what that has to do with me saying an ipad is less than ideal for bed use :confused:

It's agreement, sir.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #72: November 22, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
Oh right, I had almost forgotten that happens here from time to time :mg:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #73: November 22, 2010, 10:11:58 PM »
Oh right, I had almost forgotten that happens here from time to time :mg:

Every time I do it you seem totally amazed.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #74: November 22, 2010, 10:14:57 PM »
I didn't mean you specifically, just joking about the occasionally tumultuous mood around here.