Author Topic: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)  (Read 18658 times)

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • I'm feeling a tear coming on.
Re: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)
« Reply #925: December 12, 2012, 08:44:53 PM »
is the iphone 4 still a decent phone?
It's not brilliant on iOS6, but if you keep it simple, not a buttload of apps or anything it's great. I prefer it's battery life to the 4s, but the 4s is much much faster and has a more features. Any updates to iOS are going to further leave it behind. If they don't exclude it from the updates entirely it will lack more features.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
« Reply #926: December 12, 2012, 08:46:17 PM »
Also, Google Maps may be coming (back) to iOS tonight.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/12/3760876/google-maps-ios-release

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #927: December 13, 2012, 11:46:11 AM »
OK so...I ended up getting an iPhone 4. No S.

Ntelos wanted me to pay a 300 dollar deposit for a 4S.  I said eff that, went to Verizon, and got a 4, with no deposit, and I paid like 1 buck for the phone itself.

Guess I'll be trying to upgrade to the iPhone 5S whenever that comes out next year. Until then, no Siri for me. no big deal, all I'm gonna do on the phone besides talking and texting is basic web browsing, skype and spotify. Not gonna be going overboard on games or anything like that.

so, since this is my first ever Apple Product...school me on the intricacies of being an iDude. You guys got cake and punch in the clubhouse, right?

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
« Reply #928: December 13, 2012, 11:59:09 AM »
OK so...I ended up getting an iPhone 4. No S.

That's a good choice for what you're going to do. Make sure and get a case to protect it. Something that's thicker than the phone on all sides so that you can drop it.

Also, Google Maps did indeed drop for iOS last night, so anyone with an iPhone should download it. It seems very good.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #929: December 13, 2012, 01:11:32 PM »
so i am pretty sure i don't want to use Safari.

suggestions?

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #930: December 13, 2012, 01:30:41 PM »

suggestions?

dolphin, chrome, opera?

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
« Reply #931: December 13, 2012, 01:43:14 PM »

suggestions?
I use Chrome on my 4.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #932: December 14, 2012, 05:14:46 PM »
Question for anyone who knows:

Ms1995hoo is giving me an iPad for Christmas. I have an iPhone 4. Is there a simple way to have the iPad download all the apps I already have on the phone (to the extent I may want to use them on the iPad)? Or do I have to go download them all separately (paying for a second copy of the ones that weren't free)?

Online Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #933: December 14, 2012, 05:17:46 PM »
Question for anyone who knows:

Ms1995hoo is giving me an iPad for Christmas. I have an iPhone 4. Is there a simple way to have the iPad download all the apps I already have on the phone (to the extent I may want to use them on the iPad)? Or do I have to go download them all separately (paying for a second copy of the ones that weren't free)?

You should be able to have iTunes automatically sync all the apps over, no buying them again.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #934: December 14, 2012, 05:19:08 PM »
You should be able to have iTunes automatically sync all the apps over, no buying them again.

Thanks. I figured with the way Apple integrates their stuff that ought to be the case. Any tips on how to do it? Or would I be better off just looking at the iTunes help file?

Online Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #935: December 14, 2012, 05:24:10 PM »
Thanks. I figured with the way Apple integrates their stuff that ought to be the case. Any tips on how to do it? Or would I be better off just looking at the iTunes help file?

I haven't done it iPhone to iPad, but I'm fairly certain it did it whenever I upgraded iPhones.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #936: December 14, 2012, 05:25:15 PM »

when you sync with itunes (i don't have an iphone anymore, but this was always the case), it will be automatic

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
« Reply #937: December 14, 2012, 05:27:33 PM »

You wouldn't want to do that exactly. I know you can if you're iPhone is synced with iTunes specifically your apps, but some apps have different iPhone and iPad versions, especially games. The apps will work but if you're using iPhone apps on an iPad it's not really a good experience. If you plug your phone into the computer you can transfer your purchases over to the computer which will transfer the apps then you'll be set to go. Be careful though, it's pretty easy to erase everything on your phone if you plug it into a computer that it's not synced with.

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #938: December 14, 2012, 05:42:31 PM »
when you connect your new iPad to your computer and sync it with iTunes, you will have the option to copy over any application that you want to install on the new device.   It's pretty intuitive.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #939: December 14, 2012, 06:00:40 PM »
when you connect your new iPad to your computer and sync it with iTunes, you will have the option to copy over any application that you want to install on the new device.   It's pretty intuitive.

Great, thanks for the info. Sounds reasonably straightforward but, based on Squab's point, it might be worth taking a little while to go through the listing to confirm which ones have different versions. Seems easy enough to do that.

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #940: December 14, 2012, 06:03:41 PM »
Great, thanks for the info. Sounds reasonably straightforward but, based on Squab's point, it might be worth taking a little while to go through the listing to confirm which ones have different versions. Seems easy enough to do that.

you can run iphone apps on an ipad, but they look like SD stretched to a 16x9 TV.  You'll have to buy iPad versions though.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #941: December 14, 2012, 06:07:53 PM »
you can run iphone apps on an ipad, but they look like SD stretched to a 16x9 TV.  You'll have to buy iPad versions though.

Yeah, I knew about the stretched aspect. Thankfully I don't have all that many apps I had to pay to get.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #942: December 18, 2012, 02:33:25 AM »
liking the app management between iTunes and my iPhone. very easy, elegant as well.

wish I didn't have to have the iPhone plugged into the computer for it though.

but whats the point of having both an iTunes app and an App Store app?  why are they not combined?

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #943: December 18, 2012, 02:39:35 AM »
hey, explain to me what the problem was/is with Apple's Maps app?

I hear they are making moves to try and strike a deal with Foursquare to integrate Foursquare data into their maps app.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
« Reply #944: December 18, 2012, 02:47:10 AM »
but whats the point of having both an iTunes app and an App Store app?  why are they not combined?

You actually can wireless sync.
http://osxdaily.com/2011/10/13/wi-fi-sync-for-iphone-ipad-ios-5/
It's easier to buy music and one place and Apps in the other on the device. That way you can open one "App" and search for Apps, and another for Music. It's more organized I suppose.
hey, explain to me what the problem was/is with Apple's Maps app?
I hear they are making moves to try and strike a deal with Foursquare to integrate Foursquare data into their maps app.

The turn-by-turn directions were really spotty, some places weren't included or were incorrect, just overall not the best effort. If you search for "Google Maps" (or look at the top free apps) you can download the new Google Maps App, which is quite good.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #945: December 18, 2012, 09:22:50 AM »
.... The turn-by-turn directions were really spotty, some places weren't included or were incorrect, just overall not the best effort. If you search for "Google Maps" (or look at the top free apps) you can download the new Google Maps App, which is quite good.

I searched for "Williamsburg, VA." Apple Maps dropped a pin on Williamsburg Boulevard in Arlington, Virginia, around the corner from Nicklas Backstrom's house. Google Maps correctly dropped a pin near the College of William and Mary.

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #946: December 18, 2012, 01:59:17 PM »
liking the app management between iTunes and my iPhone. very easy, elegant as well.

yeah it would be nice if they were combined, but the app store is more broad than just music.  Yesterday I bought a song through my Mac, and within a few seconds I had a pop-up on my phone asking me if I'd like to download it there as well.  That was pretty cool.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #947: December 19, 2012, 07:54:33 PM »
Anyone updated to iTunes 11 yet? I haven't bothered, and they make it sound really different.  Is it worth it? 

Online Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #948: December 19, 2012, 07:55:53 PM »
Revolutionary new something and incredibly something and something something almost magical.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #949: December 19, 2012, 07:58:13 PM »
Anyone updated to iTunes 11 yet? I haven't bothered, and they make it sound really different.  Is it worth it? 

if you listen to podcasts, it's horrendous