Author Topic: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)  (Read 21597 times)

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
Re: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)
« Reply #900: December 01, 2012, 04:30:25 PM »
keychain information is stored in your home directory I believe, so you couldn't just re-install the OS, it still wouldn't let you into your user account (and thus your data).

A couple of questions:
- have you tried turning it off and on again (yes, I know it's IT Crowd cliche, but you should at least give it a shot)
- did you try waiting a while and then trying your password again?  There's probably a 3-strikes lockout mechanism followed by a time-out before you can try again
- do you have another Mac that you can use to access your locked one?  If you do, try connecting to it over your network and seeing if you can at least access your files

I did a bit of googling and there are a few reports that this was a bug in 10.8.2, but if you reboot the machine you can get in.  It is fixed with the latest update.

Before you do anything drastic, I'd recommend visiting the genius bar at your nearest Apple store.

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #901: December 01, 2012, 04:32:19 PM »
Oh wait, after you reset the log-in password using the install utility, did you log in as admin?  If you can log in as admin, you can reset your primary user account password.

see: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1274

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #902: December 01, 2012, 07:44:34 PM »
Thanks imref for all of the excellent advice, much appreciated.  Pain in the butt, but I might actually learn something from this.

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #903: December 04, 2012, 11:16:12 PM »
any luck ali?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #904: December 05, 2012, 10:24:07 AM »
Just broke through now...thanks again, I owe you a bevvie of your choice at the ballpark!

any luck ali?

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #905: December 05, 2012, 10:26:41 AM »
Just broke through now...thanks again, I owe you a bevvie of your choice at the ballpark!

happy to hear it!

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #906: December 06, 2012, 08:40:05 PM »
Never used an Apple Product before. considering an Iphone for the first time ever.

is Siri the only difference between a Iphone 4 and a Iphone 4S?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #907: December 06, 2012, 08:45:44 PM »
Processor is much faster on the 4s

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #908: December 06, 2012, 10:11:43 PM »
Processor is much faster on the 4s

that's the big one.  A4 vs. A5 (dual core) processors.  The 4s also has a better camera, support for 1080p video, and Bluetooth 4.0 support.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #909: December 09, 2012, 12:11:04 PM »
Ok, just signed into iTunes on our new laptop. I got a message stating that I owed them just under $20 due to a purchase not being covered by my credit card or some crap like that. Now they've had my phone numer and adress on file since I moved here in 2007. This purchase they say is dilinquent or whatever? October 19, 2009. WTF? They just now figuring that out? I've never received a single message from them regarding a payment issue. Of all things, it was on 2 Outlaws downloads :lol:

For crying out loud... Any suggestions for a remedy?

So I email iTunes and tell them my issue. They essentially told me that until I "pay" for the two albums that were unauthorized by my credit card or whatever, I'll be unable to access the music I bought and paid for via iTunes as well. I'm really starting to get pissed off at this point.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #910: December 10, 2012, 04:28:44 PM »
Police in Victoria, Australia, issued a warning Monday discouraging iPhone users from relying on Apple's map app after rescuing several people who became stranded in recent weeks in the wilderness following the app's directions -- some who were stranded 24 hours without adequate food and water.
Police said they rescued six motorists who were stranded following Apple's directions to reach an inland city were instead being directed to a national park -- some 43 miles from their desired destination.
"Tests on the mapping system by police confirm the mapping systems lists Mildura in the middle of the Murray Sunset National Park, approximately 70km away from the actual location of Mildura," police said in a statement. "Police are extremely concerned as there is no water supply within the Park and temperatures can reach as high as 46 degrees [Celsius, roughly 115 degrees Fahrenheit], making this a potentially life threatening issue.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57558151-37/australia-police-discourage-use-of-apple-maps-app-after-rescues/

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #911: December 12, 2012, 12:55:01 AM »
So...two attempts to get a near-free Windows Phone 8 device on Verizon fell through. I dunno whats going on with Amazon.

So, looks like it might be an iPhone on Ntelos for me. depends on where I can get one the cheapest. an iPhone 4 (no S) is free from Ntelos i think.  i haven't checked Verizon yet.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #912: December 12, 2012, 01:20:46 AM »
Hey, regardless of whether I get an iPhone or not, should I use iTunes as my main music player on my computer?

iTunes, or Spotify?

Online Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #913: December 12, 2012, 01:44:28 AM »
Do you have a Mac?

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #914: December 12, 2012, 02:03:04 AM »
Do you have a Mac?

no, windows 7.

using Spotify as my main player right now. does iTunes have any kind of Streaming Radio option?

Online Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #915: December 12, 2012, 02:13:17 AM »
ITunes sucks on pc imo.  It does have a streaming radio thing on a computer but it's crappy and I don't think they have it on iPhone.  I'm assuming you mean something like Pandora.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #916: December 12, 2012, 02:17:15 AM »
ITunes sucks on pc imo.  It does have a streaming radio thing on a computer but it's crappy and I don't think they have it on iPhone.  I'm assuming you mean something like Pandora.

right.

Spotify's radio feature works pretty well, once you tell it not to play a song or two. It adjusts pretty well.

eh, guess I'll stick with Spotify for now.

Online Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #917: December 12, 2012, 12:16:51 PM »
So yeah, the thing on iTunes is more like radio stations that have set up to stream their broadcast on the internet, not like Pandora.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #918: December 12, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »
Itunes wants you to purchase music- they aren't about to offer anything like pandora through itunes itself

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #919: December 12, 2012, 04:35:57 PM »
Itunes wants you to purchase music- they aren't about to offer anything like pandora through itunes itself

Microsoft's new music service does. Apple may need to get with the times on this one.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #920: December 12, 2012, 04:49:17 PM »
Microsoft's new music service does. Apple may need to get with the times on this one.

I'm not so sure about that- pandora and the like don't really make money, why would apple give up something profitable in order to loose money? besides, you can download third party streaming services to ios devices

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #921: December 12, 2012, 05:42:34 PM »
I'm not so sure about that- pandora and the like don't really make money, why would apple give up something profitable in order to loose money? besides, you can download third party streaming services to ios devices

no, what I mean is that Xbox Music is both a streaming service and a full store.

It's basically Spotify + iTunes.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #922: December 12, 2012, 08:19:12 PM »
is the iphone 4 still a decent phone?

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #923: December 12, 2012, 08:19:57 PM »

Better off with the 4s IMHO.   

Online Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #924: December 12, 2012, 08:40:19 PM »

What carrier are you going with?  I have an iPhone 4 from AT&T sitting in a drawer.