Author Topic: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)  (Read 21828 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Re: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)
« Reply #850: September 12, 2012, 08:46:58 PM »
lte is great, I sometimes switch off wifi at home because lte can be faster at times

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #851: September 12, 2012, 09:24:43 PM »
Verizon's LTE is faster than my Comcast cable internet.  If it weren't for the 4GB data limit, I'd always leave wifi off on my phone.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #852: September 13, 2012, 02:43:30 PM »
I'm not even hating here, but I just wasn't impressed by anything I saw yesterday.  Seems like they played it safe and did the bare minimum on all fronts.  LTE, bigger screen, faster.  Sounds like every phone launch ever.  It's mostly about the software these days anyway.  I'm still pretty happy with my 2-year old Galaxy S classic owing to the fact that I've been able to update it to 2.3, then 4.0, and now 4.1.  I'll probably upgrade when the next Google phone drops, but I don't expect it's going to dramatically change anything for me.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #853: September 13, 2012, 03:35:43 PM »
Apple has airplay and easily sync media to a computer- to me that's the summer total of their advantages

Online imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #854: September 13, 2012, 05:15:54 PM »
I'm not even hating here, but I just wasn't impressed by anything I saw yesterday.  Seems like they played it safe and did the bare minimum on all fronts.  LTE, bigger screen, faster.  Sounds like every phone launch ever.  It's mostly about the software these days anyway.  I'm still pretty happy with my 2-year old Galaxy S classic owing to the fact that I've been able to update it to 2.3, then 4.0, and now 4.1.  I'll probably upgrade when the next Google phone drops, but I don't expect it's going to dramatically change anything for me.

I have a 3 month-old AT&T iPhone 4s.  I'm jealous of the larger screen size, thinner body, and most especially LTE.   However, my 4s will run iOS 6.0 so I'll get a lot of the new bells and whistles.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #855: September 14, 2012, 07:46:52 AM »
No widgets!!!  hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha  Stupid looking dated interface.

Online imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #856: September 14, 2012, 08:41:30 AM »
No widgets!!!  hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha  Stupid looking dated interface.

I got my wife an iphone a few weeks ago after getting tired of listening to her complain about her LG Cosmos feature phone.  So far, no complaints, and she's figured out how to do everything she wants with the iPhone.   And, she is decidedly "non techie."  I think that's the thing people miss when they attack Apple, the devices aren't met for geeks who want to dig into tech specs, they are meant for people who actually want to "use" the devices.

Another case in point - my company just switched to "pick your own smartphone" for our business cell phones.  Most of the techies went with Android, most of the non-techies went with iPhone.  The few non-techies that picked Android phones are struggling, complaining, and wishing they had iPhones.  I asked our tech guys how many trouble tickets they have gotten from iPhone users, the answer  was 'zero.'  Meanwhile, the techies love the fact they can customize every bell and whistle on the android phone and aren't limited by the Apple App Store.   Two different worlds, two different classes of devices.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #857: September 14, 2012, 08:49:33 AM »
I think apple copying the notification bar helped offset the widgets,  I really only use a knock off of the HTC clock,  a to do list,  a calendar,  two players (beyond pod and amazon mp3), and a bunch of toggles- not having these wouldn't be a deal breaker to me

Offline Kevrock

• Troll So Hard University
« Reply #858: September 14, 2012, 08:55:25 AM »
I got my wife an iphone a few weeks ago after getting tired of listening to her complain about her LG Cosmos feature phone.  So far, no complaints, and she's figured out how to do everything she wants with the iPhone.   And, she is decidedly "non techie."  I think that's the thing people miss when they attack Apple, the devices aren't met for geeks who want to dig into tech specs, they are meant for people who actually want to "use" the devices.

This update is basically tech specs, though, right? It sounds fine to me, just like the iPad 3 sounded good to me when most people were underwhelmed.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #859: September 14, 2012, 08:57:46 AM »
I thought they basically put their version of widgets in the knockoff dropdown bar?

Another case in point - my company just switched to "pick your own smartphone" for our business cell phones.  Most of the techies went with Android, most of the non-techies went with iPhone.  The few non-techies that picked Android phones are struggling, complaining, and wishing they had iPhones.  I asked our tech guys how many trouble tickets they have gotten from iPhone users, the answer  was 'zero.'  Meanwhile, the techies love the fact they can customize every bell and whistle on the android phone and aren't limited by the Apple App Store.   Two different worlds, two different classes of devices.

This is the biggest load of bull that is constantly trotted out by Apple users.  Android *can* be a techie phone but it is by no means difficult to "just use".  Cognitive biases play into most of your anecdotes.  Also "I bought my wife a Mercedes after listening to her complain about her Toyota Tercel."

Offline Kevrock

• Troll So Hard University
« Reply #860: September 14, 2012, 10:34:44 AM »
Every Droid phone is different. My Droid Charge came with so much bloatware it was basically werthless off the shelf. My original Droid, the slide out keyboard one, was a beast. I loved that phone.

If I'm recommending a smart phone to my Mom, it's an iPhone. Non-techies just love Apple products, whether it's for ease of use out of the box or the coolness factor or aesthetics or whatever.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #861: September 14, 2012, 11:44:05 AM »
Every Droid phone is different. My Droid Charge came with so much bloatware it was basically werthless off the shelf. My original Droid, the slide out keyboard one, was a beast. I loved that phone.

If I'm recommending a smart phone to my Mom, it's an iPhone. Non-techies just love Apple products, whether it's for ease of use out of the box or the coolness factor or aesthetics or whatever.

Both true, but the problem is with the user, not the OS.  When people are pre-programmed to believe that something is more difficult, their patience and willingness to utilize common sense will reflect that.  Robbing them of choice by spreading this idea that you have to be a nerd or a techie to use or enjoy Android is doing everyone a disservice.

Online blue911

« Reply #862: September 14, 2012, 11:55:32 AM »
I have an iPhone and think a rhesus monkey could set it up. It may have been easier than my coffee maker but you won't convince me that the android phones are so hard to set up that you need to be a techie type. If you can't set up your phone maybe you just too freaking stupid to own one.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #863: September 14, 2012, 01:21:49 PM »
Both true, but the problem is with the user, not the OS.  When people are pre-programmed to believe that something is more difficult, their patience and willingness to utilize common sense will reflect that.  Robbing them of choice by spreading this idea that you have to be a nerd or a techie to use or enjoy Android is doing everyone a disservice.

At the same time,  low end androids so crammed with bloatware that the memory comes full or phones that are so under speced that they are non functional give android a bad name.  I think if you have to root for a usable phone, it's a bad phone and not a lazy user.  High end androids phones,  on the other hand are as smooth fast and easy as any iphone

Online imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #864: September 14, 2012, 04:21:12 PM »
I thought they basically put their version of widgets in the knockoff dropdown bar?

This is the biggest load of bull that is constantly trotted out by Apple users.  Android *can* be a techie phone but it is by no means difficult to "just use".  Cognitive biases play into most of your anecdotes.  Also "I bought my wife a Mercedes after listening to her complain about her Toyota Tercel."

i asked our support guys for the # of tickets for iphone problems vs. # of tickets related to android problems, so far not a single iPhone ticket (user population is about 20, evenly split), while they've had 5-6 android issues (mostly related to tethering and battery life).

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #865: September 14, 2012, 05:29:53 PM »
I have an iPhone and think a rhesus monkey could set it up. It may have been easier than my coffee maker but you won't convince me that the android phones are so hard to set up that you need to be a techie type. If you can't set up your phone maybe you just too freaking stupid to own one.

:clap:

Offline PC

« Reply #866: September 15, 2012, 02:35:20 PM »
Millions of People Will Buy the Apple iPhone 5 for No Apparent Reason

If anyone but Apple released a major new product whose most unique selling point was a new accessory plug, consumers would jump ship faster than rats on the Titanic.

But not for the iPhone 5. Analysts predict it could be the greatest selling gadget of all time, right behind the nearly identical iPhone 4S, which was nearly identical to the iPhone 4. That's three three major releases over two-and-a-half years and the most Apple lovers have to show is an inch of screen and a talking assistant that basically has no idea what you're saying. Worse, Apple didn't even build that. They bought it.

At any other company, heads would roll, at Apple they'll be rolling in money - as much as $36 billion in new sales, according to a Bloomberg analysis. But can the party really last, and at this point who's really copying whom?

Samsung already has much of what the iPhone 5 is selling. Bigger screen. Check. Lighter body. Check. Works with high-speed cellular networks. Check. As for that special new accessory plug, well that one is exclusive to Apple, who is kind enough to sell you a $29 converter for all the gadgets you bought for the old plug.

The company also proudly touted major new software innovations like turn-by-turn directions and better photo sharing with Facebook, except you can do both on other phones already.

Still Apple sounded impressed with itself at Wednesday's marketing bachanal. The one-inch the company added to the iPhone's screen? "We've worked on that for a few years," said Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president for marketing, "to come to what we think is the optimal size to give you more screen, but something that is super comfortable, easy to use and is thin and light and fits in your pocket."

Give them a few more years and one can barely imagination the innovation that's possible: an alarm clock with multiple snooze buttons; a better space bar; another accessory plug?

"Apple has never been stronger," said Apple CEO Tim Cook. Certainly true for the balance sheet, but can the same be said about the product line?

If all of this sounds like I'm an Apple hater, you've got the wrong guy. I'm just disappointed with the company I've loved since I was child. I've bought just about everything Apple's made since the Apple II Plus came out in 1979. I own two iPads, two Airbooks and a 20" iMac. I have a closet full of old iPods. And come Sept 21, I'll probably be standing on line with millions of other Americans buying an iPhone 5. Only this time, I won't really know why.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/neil-katz/iphone5-apple-best-selling-gadget_b_1884724.html

Online imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #867: September 20, 2012, 03:40:15 PM »
anyone try iOS 6 yet?  I'm waiting to see if we can upgrade our company phone without screwing up the MDM app.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #868: September 20, 2012, 03:44:27 PM »
anyone try iOS 6 yet?  I'm waiting to see if we can upgrade our company phone without screwing up the MDM app.

Downloaded it yesterday. Don't really have much reaction other than that the process was handled much better than the iOS 5 rollout was. You might recall that the iOS 5 rollout deleted all third-party apps from your phone. That didn't happen this time around.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #869: September 20, 2012, 04:01:25 PM »
Maps is getting a lot of criticism

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #870: September 20, 2012, 07:07:18 PM »
hahahahahahahahahahahahha

Offline The Chief

« Reply #871: September 20, 2012, 10:42:54 PM »
i asked our support guys for the # of tickets for iphone problems vs. # of tickets related to android problems, so far not a single iPhone ticket (user population is about 20, evenly split), while they've had 5-6 android issues (mostly related to tethering and battery life).

Anecdotes from tech guys mean nothing, and what I said still applies.  Also if iPhones have such a reputation for being idiot-proof, who would want to be the idiot to report a problem with theirs?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #872: September 20, 2012, 10:43:57 PM »

My gf says it seems slower and worse on battery.  Anecdote ;)

Online imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #873: September 20, 2012, 10:47:24 PM »
My gf says it seems slower and worse on battery.  Anecdote ;)

Touche'

I've heard from a few that their contacts got wiped out. 

Online imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #874: September 20, 2012, 10:48:02 PM »
Downloaded it yesterday. Don't really have much reaction other than that the process was handled much better than the iOS 5 rollout was. You might recall that the iOS 5 rollout deleted all third-party apps from your phone. That didn't happen this time around.

YouTube app is reportedly gone now, but Apple wasn't updating it and Google has a newer one in the App store.