Author Topic: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)  (Read 17670 times)

Online imref

• In Matt We Trust!
Re: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)
« Reply #775: May 22, 2012, 12:45:53 PM »
qq for everyone, i'm finally getting ready to pull the trigger on an iPhone 4s - is the 32 GB model worth the extra $100 versus the 16GB?  I don't plan on using it for much other than work (e-mail/calendar/address book) and a handful of games/apps.  I don't imagine I'll be downloading many movies or storing more than about 1GB of music.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• The Truth.
« Reply #776: May 22, 2012, 12:55:30 PM »
No.  I have a 16GB iPhone and a 16GB iPad and haven't had any issues with space.  If you're downloading tons of movies you'll have issues but for what you described you'll be fine.

Online imref

• In Matt We Trust!
« Reply #777: May 22, 2012, 12:57:17 PM »
thx

Offline MarquisDeSade

• The Truth.
« Reply #778: May 22, 2012, 01:06:12 PM »
What email client do you use at work?

Online imref

• In Matt We Trust!
« Reply #779: May 22, 2012, 01:08:22 PM »
What email client do you use at work?

We're still a Lotus Notes shop.  Before you laugh, we're on the latest release and I really have no complaints.   It allowed us to easily transition everyone from Windows to Mac because it's the same exact client on all machines (including Linux), so no "Mac as a 2nd class citizen" issues we had with Entourage.  Lotus Notes Traveler supports sync with Mac.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• The Truth.
« Reply #780: May 22, 2012, 01:18:16 PM »
I had no idea Lotus Notes was still used.  I use gmail for pretty much everything (work included) but now that I'm moving into a new arena of employment it looks like it's back to something much werse than Lotus - BBS.

Online imref

• In Matt We Trust!
« Reply #781: May 22, 2012, 01:32:33 PM »
I had no idea Lotus Notes was still used.  I use gmail for pretty much everything (work included) but now that I'm moving into a new arena of employment it looks like it's back to something much werse than Lotus - BBS.

we'll probably switch to Gmail or Zoho this year.  Notes actually works fine. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #782: May 22, 2012, 02:09:09 PM »

vestiges of the past have a way of surviving in niches- you'd be surprised how many law firms use word perfect

Online imref

• In Matt We Trust!
« Reply #783: May 22, 2012, 02:41:26 PM »
vestiges of the past have a way of surviving in niches- you'd be surprised how many law firms use word perfect

there's still a lot of Notes out there in large companies, and it's very common in Europe.

Offline PC

« Reply #784: June 08, 2012, 01:35:56 AM »
Virgin Mobile To Sell iPhone For $549, Plus $30 Per Month

NEW YORK -- Virgin Mobile USA, one of Sprint's brands for prepaid, no-contract phone service, said Thursday it will start selling the iPhone on June 29, charging $549 for a basic model.

The high price of the phone comes with an upside: service will start at $30 per month.

That means the phone, plus two years of service, will cost $1,269, excluding taxes. That's nearly $800 less than a subscriber would pay for the same phone, an iPhone 4 with 8 gigabytes of memory, if buying it under the Sprint Nextel Corp. brand. Sprint charges $100 for the phone and $80 per month for service, excluding taxes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/07/virgin-iphone_n_1578595.html?ref=technology

Things like this just further my belief that the smartphone is the biggest scam ever perpetrated on the consumer.  Looking at spending $1269, $549 upfront, for two years use of an underpowered computer with a tiny screen and crappy operating system as a good deal is insane.  And you knew Apple had to be leading the scam...just based on how much they charge for everything they've ever sold.

Online Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #785: June 08, 2012, 05:14:29 AM »
Don't be mad Apple made a consumer focused smartphone before MS.

Online imref

• In Matt We Trust!
« Reply #786: June 08, 2012, 09:53:25 AM »
has anyone out there switched from a blackberry (with keyboard) to an iPhone?  How was the transition from typing on a keyboard to a touch screen?  I've got a Bold now but am switching to a 4s in a couple of weeks, my only real concern is being able to type as quickly on the iPhone as I can on the BB.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #787: June 08, 2012, 11:14:24 AM »
has anyone out there switched from a blackberry (with keyboard) to an iPhone?  How was the transition from typing on a keyboard to a touch screen?  I've got a Bold now but am switching to a 4s in a couple of weeks, my only real concern is being able to type as quickly on the iPhone as I can on the BB.

I hate typing on the screen. I have a (Android) phone with a slide out keyboard.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #788: June 08, 2012, 11:16:56 AM »
I did it years ago, and went from reasonably fast to slow and inaccurate and I've had an iPhone since 2g

Online imref

• In Matt We Trust!
« Reply #789: June 08, 2012, 11:21:32 AM »
ugh.  There is a bluetooth KB that clips onto the back of the iPhone, but I figure that if I get to that point I've probably wasted my money on an iPhone.

Online imref

• In Matt We Trust!
« Reply #790: June 11, 2012, 01:49:42 PM »
Tim Cook's is on stage at the Apple WWDC, so far nothing to earth shattering - improvements to the MBA and MBP, some new apps, and so on.  He's showing Mountain Lion now.

Online imref

• In Matt We Trust!
« Reply #791: June 11, 2012, 03:00:38 PM »
iOS 6 features:

http://gizmodo.com/5917359/ios-6-new-features-coming-soon-to-your-iphone-and-ipad

new maps, siri, open table integration, and a lot more....

Siri will give you baseball stats/scores now. :)

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #792: June 11, 2012, 03:42:14 PM »
Too bad iPhone 4 won't get most of the features, one of the main reasons that I stuck with apple was the fact that they supported updates for phones years after they sold them, now their latest update basically cuts out both ipad2s and iPhone 4 (which they still sell). If that advantage is gone, I'm thinging android for my next phone

Offline wvuwhat

« Reply #793: June 11, 2012, 10:00:44 PM »
Will definitely get the iPhone 5 later this year when released. 

My old 2.66/4gb/640gb 24" iMac is getting a little long in the tooth.  It'll probably take me 3 weeks to talk myself into it, but looking to sell and get either a new MacBook Air or MacBook Pro with the retina display. 

Luckily, I still have my college ID, so I can get the retina for 1999 w/ a 100 dollar gift card to the app store. 

But, at 949, with said 100 dollar app store gc, the low end 11" Air is much more tempting.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #794: June 13, 2012, 10:06:35 AM »
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-Display-Teardown/9462/1#.T9iDXCtYteM

Tear down for the new MacBook - if you're in the market, better get all the ram you can up front (it's soldered on so no upgrading), the hard drive is proprietary, so no swapping out in two years when available size explodes, and better get the extended warranty in case the battery ever dies- it's glued in place

Way to make your flagship laptop a disposable product apple :clap:

Offline The Chief

• Very 2014. Wow.
    • http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #795: June 13, 2012, 10:28:55 AM »
Not to mention all those extra pixels to push... hope they upgraded the gpu accordingly

Offline MarquisDeSade

• The Truth.
« Reply #796: June 13, 2012, 10:41:15 AM »
Upgrading your hard drive invalidated AppleCare and everything is moving to some form of "cloud" so I'm not sure why the statement on HDs is relevant.  Anyone that buys a Mac laptop without AppleCare is asking for trouble to begin with.  Don't all of the MBP come with 8GB of RAM now anyway? 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #797: June 13, 2012, 10:47:31 AM »
It's the battery that gets to me- I don't think I've ever had a laptop where the battery didn't die long before the computer's useful life span. Also, every laptop that I've ever owned, I've upgraded the RAM at least once before retiring it. Sure 16GB sounds huge now, but what about in 2 or 3 years?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• The Truth.
« Reply #798: June 13, 2012, 10:53:34 AM »
I gave up on buying extra MBP batteries a couple of years ago once they improved the battery life significantly.  Much cheaper to keep an extra charger around and send it back to Apple for exchange as part of AppleCare. For $300 if any part of the MBP craps the bed you just get them to replace it.  If you luck out and need a replacement when a new product line comes out you get the new version. Nothing lasts forever and if you get more than two years of solid service out of a laptop you've done pretty well. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #799: June 13, 2012, 10:58:02 AM »
I wonder what their threshold will be for battery replacement under apple care now? It used to be no fuss, but now that they're looking at a major repair, will the consider a loss of capacity over time to be normal wear and tear?