Author Topic: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)  (Read 25268 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)
« Reply #475: October 15, 2011, 10:31:18 PM »
I've never had an issue.  Not once have my backups not worked.  You're doin' it wrong :mg:

You're very funny, but no ;)

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
« Reply #476: October 15, 2011, 11:23:49 PM »
updated the wife's iPad without a hitch.  The only real feature I like is iCloud to auto-sync calendars between our home Mac and the iPad.  But since i am still on Leopard (not even Snow Leopard) on the home Mac, I can't take advantage of iCloud for much of anything.

I still don't see any reason to upgrade.  I use Parallels 4 on the Mac to run Quicken for Windows in Windows XP.  To go to Lion I'd have to upgrade Parallels to Version 7 at a cost of $50, it's not worth the cost since i'd also have to buy Snow Leopard.  So the total cost to take advantage of iCloud is $110. ($30 each for Snow Leopard and Lion).

I have to run Leopard as well on my MacBook Air as we have still use an old version of SPSS at work (16) that requires Java 1.5.  There's a hack that works on Leopard but won't work on any newer version of Mac OS.  The plan is to move to SPSS 20 early next year so we can get everyone on Lion.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #477: October 21, 2011, 12:53:56 PM »
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/10/jobs-i-will-spend-my-last-breath-fighting-android-a-stolen-product.ars

According to Isaacson, Steve Jobs' reaction to the January 2010 unveiling of the HTC smartphone lineup was fury. Calling it "a great theft," Jobs supposedly proclaimed, "I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong... I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this."

Of course, lawsuits are usually made to be settled, but Jobs was having none of it. Meeting with then-Google CEO Eric Schmidt, a man who for years sat on Apple's board before Android made that no longer possible, Jobs told Schmidt that money wasn't going to make it right. "I don't want your money. If you offer me $5 billion, I won't want it," Jobs reportedly said. "I've got plenty of money. I want you to stop using our ideas in Android, that's all I want." And with that, the door to any possible settlement was slammed shut. We wonder if Jobs' passing will open the door to lawsuit settlements down the road.

Pretty funny coming from the guy who said "good artists copy, great artists steal".

Offline imref

« Reply #478: October 21, 2011, 01:56:51 PM »
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/10/jobs-i-will-spend-my-last-breath-fighting-android-a-stolen-product.ars

Pretty funny coming from the guy who said "good artists copy, great artists steal".

and he hired away a bunch of the guys who designed the GUI from Xerox.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #479: October 21, 2011, 01:58:35 PM »
and he hired away a bunch of the guys who designed the GUI from Xerox.

I hear the Xerox "story" mentioned often when the topic of "copying" comes up (see what I did there? :mg: ) but I'm not very familiar with the details.

Offline imref

« Reply #480: October 21, 2011, 02:02:09 PM »
I hear the Xerox "story" mentioned often when the topic of "copying" comes up (see what I did there? :mg: ) but I'm not very familiar with the details.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/10/steve-jobs-xerox-parc.html

That Xerox didn't realize what it had, and didn't see how it fit with their core business, was one of the great business failures of the last 100 years.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #481: October 21, 2011, 02:09:04 PM »

safari resembles ie which resembles mosiac- sometimes a general idea will get coppied hell apple uses qwerty keyboards, then againost companies don't see the need to constant reinvent the wheel

Offline The Chief

« Reply #482: October 21, 2011, 02:12:20 PM »
safari resembles ie which resembles mosiac- sometimes a general idea will get coppied hell apple uses qwerty keyboards, then againost companies don't see the need to constant reinvent the wheel

did you type that on a phone? ;)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #483: October 21, 2011, 02:19:44 PM »
did you type that on a phone? ;)
How'd you guess

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #484: October 21, 2011, 08:37:08 PM »
Can anyone help me with a little advice?

1.  My daughter's 32 GB iPod touch, which I bought last December, is not working, and she thinks it's the battery.  I read somewhere online that iPod batteries have a one-year warranty.  Does anyone know if that's true?  Also, if I take it to the Apple store, do I need the receipt, or will they just look it up?  (If they look it up, will they use the manufacture date, which I assume they get from the serial number, rather than the sales date, to see if it's still under warranty?)

2.  My wife wants to get a computer for Christmas - I'm thinking either a netbook, cheap laptop (maybe a PC like Toshiba) or an iPad.  She would use it mainly at home for the Internet, especially watching videos/movies, and Skyping her family, and possibly reading e-books, although she's not used to the "e" part when it comes to books.  (We are a more or less 21st century family technologically, with an iMac, a Macbook Pro, and several iPods).  My concern is, however, that when it comes to touchscreens (neither my wife nor I have smartphones), we're more like the Flinstones ("a modern stone-age family").  I'm not sure how comfortable she would be with a touchscreen interface. Any suggestions any which model would be adequate would be appreciated too, price is a factor these days.  I wonder if the new Kindle will put a little pressure on iPad prices - sooner or later?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #485: October 21, 2011, 09:23:19 PM »
For number 2 kindle fire will do all of that at 1/4 the price if you don't mind the smaller screen

Offline imref

« Reply #486: October 21, 2011, 11:56:37 PM »
Can anyone help me with a little advice?

1.  My daughter's 32 GB iPod touch, which I bought last December, is not working, and she thinks it's the battery.  I read somewhere online that iPod batteries have a one-year warranty.  Does anyone know if that's true?  Also, if I take it to the Apple store, do I need the receipt, or will they just look it up?  (If they look it up, will they use the manufacture date, which I assume they get from the serial number, rather than the sales date, to see if it's still under warranty?)

2.  My wife wants to get a computer for Christmas - I'm thinking either a netbook, cheap laptop (maybe a PC like Toshiba) or an iPad.  She would use it mainly at home for the Internet, especially watching videos/movies, and Skyping her family, and possibly reading e-books, although she's not used to the "e" part when it comes to books.  (We are a more or less 21st century family technologically, with an iMac, a Macbook Pro, and several iPods).  My concern is, however, that when it comes to touchscreens (neither my wife nor I have smartphones), we're more like the Flinstones ("a modern stone-age family").  I'm not sure how comfortable she would be with a touchscreen interface. Any suggestions any which model would be adequate would be appreciated too, price is a factor these days.  I wonder if the new Kindle will put a little pressure on iPad prices - sooner or later?

1 - i think that's true unless you bought an extended warranty plan.  Yes, an apple store should be able to check for you but make sure that you reserve a genius bar time before you go.  you can do this via apple.com.  if it is out of warranty you can pay apple a lot to change it, or you can change it on your own using the kits you can find on the internet.  I changed a battery in my old scroll-wheel ipod, it's not very hard.

2. I'm partial to the iPad, the WiFi-only version should meet her needs and if she doesn't like typing on it, then you can get a keyboard.  I warn you though, we pretty much lost my wife's ipad to our kids.

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #487: October 22, 2011, 04:28:11 AM »
I was going to recommend against an iPad but then I remembered the keyboard dock thingies.  So that's not a bad option.

I would ask what kind of video you are referring to.  iTunes, YouTube, Netflix, Hulu and the like all work fine.  But flash, of course, does not.  So if there's no app and it's only in flash, it won't play.

And on the price, Apple's policy lately is discount the old model when the new one comes out, sell the new one at the same price point as the old one.  So you could wait until iPad 3 to buy an iPad 2 at a discount, but don't expect them to lower the price other than that.  Steve has gone to the great iCloud in the sky, so that could change, but I doubt it.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #488: October 27, 2011, 06:57:32 PM »
So I installed the latest updates on my work-issued Macbook and after restarting I get "No bootable device"

Any ideas?  Tried booting to safe mode and single user mode, still get the same error.  Seems like it's not picking up the hard drive.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #489: October 28, 2011, 12:33:10 PM »
Anybody?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #490: October 28, 2011, 12:34:30 PM »
Can you try booting from USB?

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • I'm feeling a tear coming on.
« Reply #491: October 28, 2011, 12:37:59 PM »
 Like you said its probably not picking up the hard drive. You could hold the option key during startup and that lets you select the boot device. But that probably won't work. Do you have the disk for it so you can boot from that?

Offline imref

« Reply #492: October 28, 2011, 02:00:08 PM »
So I installed the latest updates on my work-issued Macbook and after restarting I get "No bootable device"

Any ideas?  Tried booting to safe mode and single user mode, still get the same error.  Seems like it's not picking up the hard drive.

did you do a PRAM/SMC/NVRAM reset?  I'd try that first.  If that doesn't work, can you boot to a DVD and run Disk Utility?  If you have a copy of Disk Warrior that can be a lifesaver as well.

Have you also tried booting holding down alt+option?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #493: October 28, 2011, 02:16:40 PM »
Can you try booting from USB?

I could try but I don't have anything useful to boot from (just a Windows 7 installation stick)

Like you said its probably not picking up the hard drive. You could hold the option key during startup and that lets you select the boot device. But that probably won't work. Do you have the disk for it so you can boot from that?
did you do a PRAM/SMC reset?  I'd try that first.  If that doesn't work, can you boot to a DVD and run Disk Utility?

Worth a shot.  Remind me the key combo for that one?  I'll have to see if they've got any install DVDs at work,

Offline imref

« Reply #494: October 28, 2011, 02:23:13 PM »
ok, I did a bit more digging - did you have Boot Camp installed at any point with a separate partition for Windows?  This is usually caused by removing boot camp but the removal process not correctly removing its partition, so the Mac gets confused at boot-up.

The fix is to hold the option key down on bootup, then select the Mac drive that appears.

If the above works, launch boot camp utility, create a 5GB partition, then remove it and you shouldn't have future problems.

Offline imref

« Reply #495: October 28, 2011, 02:24:14 PM »
I could try but I don't have anything useful to boot from (just a Windows 7 installation stick)

Worth a shot.  Remind me the key combo for that one?  I'll have to see if they've got any install DVDs at work,

what kind of Mac is it?  The keystrokes vary by mac.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #496: October 28, 2011, 02:35:30 PM »
what kind of Mac is it?  The keystrokes vary by mac.

a 4 year old white plastic Intel Macbook.

ok, I did a bit more digging - did you have Boot Camp installed at any point with a separate partition for Windows?  This is usually caused by removing boot camp but the removal process not correctly removing its partition, so the Mac gets confused at boot-up.

The fix is to hold the option key down on bootup, then select the Mac drive that appears.

If the above works, launch boot camp utility, create a 5GB partition, then remove it and you shouldn't have future problems.

This sounds promising.  I did have Windows/Bootcamp installed twice previously.

Offline imref

« Reply #497: October 28, 2011, 02:50:19 PM »
a 4 year old white plastic Intel Macbook.

This sounds promising.  I did have Windows/Bootcamp installed twice previously.

goodie - try the holding the option key down upon bootup trick.  If you see the mac drive icon select it, then do the create/remove bootcamp partition step and hopefully you are good to go.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #498: October 28, 2011, 09:43:49 PM »
option worked to get it back into Mac OS, but the boot camp dealio didn't work, so it was still no-devicing on reboots until Nathan suggested that I check the startup disk in system prefs.  That fixed the rest.  Good to go now, thanks guys :thumbs:

I promise not to make fun of Macs, Apple, or Steve Jobs for a whole month :mg:

Offline PC

« Reply #499: October 28, 2011, 09:49:13 PM »
I promise not to make fun of Macs, Apple, or Steve Jobs for a whole month :mg:

Does this mean I have to take over?   :)