Author Topic: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)  (Read 19931 times)

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)
« Reply #325: July 07, 2011, 06:33:08 PM »
How big is the library?  Do you want to copy all of the meta data (like ratings and playlists) or is just the music fine?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #326: July 07, 2011, 07:28:47 PM »
just the music is fine.  Lemme check how big it is...

Edit: 2300 songs, 12.4 GB.

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #327: July 07, 2011, 10:14:14 PM »
Oops, the edit doesn't bump the post up to the list of unread topics, I just now saw it.

If you want to transfer everything, you'll need about 3 DVD-Rs.  On the Mac, in iTunes click File->Library->Backup to Disc.  You could use CDs but it would take a whole hell of a lot.  Like 18.

Once you are done burning the DVDs, open iTunes on the PC, and put in the first disc.  iTunes should ask you if you want to restore from the disc, click restore, and wait, swapping discs as it asks for the next one.

That method keeps everything intact, including playlists and ratings.

If you JUST want the songs, and have a USB HDD or large enough thumb drive, you could just manually copy the songs to it.  On the Mac they should be under /Users/dpm/Music/iTunes where dpm is whatever your username on the Mac is.

Once you have them on the USB drive, just connect it to your PC, open iTunes, and drag and drop the folder onto the iTunes window and it should import everything, though you'll lose any extra data.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #328: July 07, 2011, 10:37:28 PM »
Sweet.  Thanks!

Offline PC

« Reply #329: July 11, 2011, 01:27:35 AM »
OSX Lion is coming out soon, perhaps as early as this week...and it sounds like a WINNER!  :mg:

http://gizmodo.com/5819418/mac-os-x-lion-this-is-not-the-future-we-were-hoping-for

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #330: July 12, 2011, 10:08:33 AM »
Best Mac AntiVirus?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #331: July 21, 2011, 06:14:52 PM »
anyone upgrading to osx lion- it doesn't play well with chrome, so back to safari until a new version comes out

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #332: July 21, 2011, 10:44:05 PM »
anyone upgrading to osx lion- it doesn't play well with chrome, so back to safari until a new version comes out

planning on grabbing it to update my iMac which is still running Leopard (not even Snow Leopard).  I want to put it on my MacBook Air, but we have one application that requires an older version of Java - it requires a hack to get it to work under Snow Leopard, and I'm afraid of breaking it.

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #333: July 21, 2011, 10:44:15 PM »

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #334: July 22, 2011, 06:40:24 AM »
I got ClamXav, which is free.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• In the market for lavish mansions 'n NBA expansion
« Reply #335: July 24, 2011, 10:24:50 PM »
My MacBook Pro is apparently about to croak.  The screen looks like a crappy 1987 TV now.  Hopefully Applecare will result in a replacement of the new version.  Keepin' my fingaz crossed.

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #336: July 24, 2011, 10:27:19 PM »
My MacBook Pro is apparently about to croak.  The screen looks like a crappy 1987 TV now.  Hopefully Applecare will result in a replacement of the new version.  Keepin' my fingaz crossed.

i've found applecare service to be very good (and quick), i had a screen fail once and had the machine back in less than 48 hours.  Make sure you make an advance appointment for the genius bar.

Offline MarquisDeSade

« Reply #337: July 24, 2011, 10:33:05 PM »
I've had to use Applecare a ton of times over the years.  The Genius Bar is pretty worthless though or at least was the last time I used it five years ago.  I just hope they replace the entire machine like they did for friend of mine last week.

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #338: July 24, 2011, 10:34:58 PM »
I've had to use Applecare a ton of times over the years.  The Genius Bar is pretty worthless though or at least was the last time I used it five years ago.  I just hope they replace the entire machine like they did for friend of mine last week.

they usually can't fix anything, but they'll listen to what you tell them, and ship the machine back to Apple for you.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #339: July 24, 2011, 10:35:43 PM »
they usually can't fix anything, but they'll listen to what you tell them, and ship the machine back to Apple for you.

Sony Store will do the same, but they dont tell you that :bang: You have to ask.

Offline MarquisDeSade

« Reply #340: July 25, 2011, 06:55:31 AM »
I'm just shipping it back with the hopes that they don't delete my Phish bootlegs or steal my identity and just give me a new machine. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

« Reply #341: July 25, 2011, 11:54:44 AM »
Apple rocks.  Spent 30 minutes with the d00d on the phone and we got it Rokken like Dokken again.  It was refreshing to talk to someone who asked how I was doing instead of telling me to "do the needful".  Now I have to survive my call with Dell about this piece of crap server they sent us...

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #343: August 24, 2011, 06:53:50 PM »
Steve Jobs has resigned as CEO of Apple.

I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.

As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.

I believe Apple's brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.

I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

Steve

Probably health issues :(

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/24/steve-jobs-resigns-as-ceo-of-apple/

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #344: August 24, 2011, 06:56:32 PM »
:shock:

Offline MarquisDeSade

« Reply #345: August 24, 2011, 06:58:46 PM »
Not really surprising.  Probably should have happened a few years ago.

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #346: August 24, 2011, 07:02:26 PM »
That's the beginning of the end of Apple's reign IMO.  To be honest, I've thought they were losing some of their mojo for a while now.  They're becoming more device oriented and iOS oriented than making solid computers.

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #347: August 24, 2011, 07:09:56 PM »
sad news, the last picture I saw of him showed him looking very frail, and that was a few months ago. 

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #348: August 24, 2011, 07:11:16 PM »
Best wishes to Mr. Jobs.

Anyone know of a simple straight forward way of transferring music from an iPod to iTunes? I know of iPodaccess for windows or something like that, just looking for freeware that is good. I also know you can back door it so-to-speak by opening the iPod up as a drive and what not, but that seems a little time consuming.

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #349: August 24, 2011, 07:16:04 PM »
Best wishes to Mr. Jobs.

Anyone know of a simple straight forward way of transferring music from an iPod to iTunes? I know of iPodaccess for windows or something like that, just looking for freeware that is good. I also know you can back door it so-to-speak by opening the iPod up as a drive and what not, but that seems a little time consuming.
What kind of iPod?  What OS?