Author Topic: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)  (Read 21981 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)
« Reply #100: January 06, 2011, 03:25:31 PM »
How about this, I've had jobs doing tech support and building computers, so I don't consider myself a complete idiot, I like the whole 'it works walled garden' for my family computer. I also prefer Mac os's user interface

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #101: January 06, 2011, 03:28:17 PM »
How about this, I've had jobs doing tech support and building computers, so I don't consider myself a complete idiot, I like the whole 'it works walled garden' for my family computer. I also prefer Mac os's user interface

Never said you were an idiot, just saying that most of the bogus reasons people come up with for buying a Mac are just that - bogus.  It almost always really boils down to personal aesthetic preference, which is fine.  I'm not judging anyone for liking Macs.  I think they're very nice.  I prefer to run Windows on mine, but I use the Mac side sometimes too.  And iOS is a walled garden (mostly).  Mac OS is not.  In fact, I would go as far as to say that hardware is Apple's biggest advantage these days, not OS differences.  Apple notebooks are MUCH nicer than most of their PC counterparts, and usually have better batteries to boot.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• PK Subban will eat your soul.
« Reply #102: January 06, 2011, 03:32:45 PM »
IMO, you already wanted to buy a Mac for aesthetic reasons and felt you needed a better excuse ;) (kidding, mostly :P)

I'll admit it was partially that, Apple products have always been aesthetically pleasing and consistent - my current MacBook Pro looks pretty much exactly like my first PowerBook from five years ago.  I'd also been using them while recording (ProTools) for years prior intermittently and finally got tired of the boring Windows OS and registry related bullsheet.  Granted with Windows 7 MS looks like they're finally making some real OS improvements but for me it's too late - I've switched over to the dark/overpriced/yuppiescum side.  Having said that, MS really needs to kill those HORRIBLE "to the cloud" commercials. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #103: January 06, 2011, 03:34:38 PM »
Love Windows 7 but also love my iPhone 4 with the exception that you can't load flash content on it.

Still wouldn't mind getting a Mac PC in the future to add to our collection of electronics. :lmao:  In our apartment between the two of us we have 5 laptops, 1 netbook, 3 iPhones, and an iPad.

Offline MarquisDeSade

« Reply #104: January 06, 2011, 03:35:02 PM »
Apple notebooks are MUCH nicer than most of their PC counterparts, and usually have better batteries to boot.

Yup, they've looked the same for how many years now? 

Offline The Chief

« Reply #105: January 06, 2011, 03:37:30 PM »
@MDS

No shame in it.  I hate cheap-feeling crap.  If I were to buy myself a notebook, it'd probably be a macbook pro, and I'd dual boot it.  Fortunately I work in tech so work provides me with a macbook.  Not a pro, but it'll do for free :lol:

As for commercials, they need to do more like the 7 phone commercial with the hot chick in lingerie :P

Offline Obed_Marsh

• ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • Photos
« Reply #106: January 06, 2011, 03:43:08 PM »
I love my HP Pavilion dm1; I got it fully loaded. It is in the netbook form factor with Windows 7 it rocks. I would mind trying a MacBook Air for a few days though to compare.

Offline MarquisDeSade

« Reply #107: January 06, 2011, 04:06:35 PM »
I love my HP Pavilion dm1; I got it fully loaded. It is in the netbook form factor with Windows 7 it rocks. I would mind trying a MacBook Air for a few days though to compare.

I liked the MacBook Air but Guitar Center (of all places) cut me a killer deal on my last MacBook Pro so I went with it instead.

Online Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #108: January 06, 2011, 04:41:31 PM »
Uninstalling on a Mac is nice too.  Trag the app to the trash and empty the trash.  The thing that always irked me with Windows was how even when you uninstalled an app, it could leave things behind.

The whole registry system in general is the root of a lot of the ills of Windows, IMO.  I've only had Windows 7 for about 7 months so far, but it seems like it's a lot more robust than the old versions (ie XP).

Offline The Chief

« Reply #109: January 06, 2011, 04:51:25 PM »
Most of the time the stuff that gets leftover doesn't do or hurt anything though, and IMO sometimes it's actually nice to be able to reinstall a program later and not have to customize it all over again (user data/settings are often what is left behind, and generally for this exact reason)

Working tech for as long as I have, I can say with some certainty that not being able to simply drag a program to the trash is a case of protecting users from themselves.  I'm honestly glad that Windows doesn't work that way.  Not saying there isn't room for improvement (like making appwiz easier to get to, or enforcing a more universal uninstall process), but it's certainly not as bad as it's often portrayed.

Offline blue911

« Reply #110: January 06, 2011, 04:54:05 PM »
Most of the time the stuff that gets leftover doesn't do or hurt anything though, and IMO sometimes it's actually nice to be able to reinstall a program later and not have to customize it all over again (user data/settings are often what is left behind, and generally for this exact reason)

Working tech for as long as I have, I can say with some certainty that not being able to simply drag a program to the trash is a case of protecting users from themselves.  I'm honestly glad that Windows doesn't work that way.  Not saying there isn't room for improvement (like making appwiz easier to get to, or enforcing a more universal uninstall process), but it's certainly not as bad as it's often portrayed.

The easiest way to uninstall programs is to reformat your hard drive.*

* I Dell tech actually told this to my wife, who has a computer science degree.

Online Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #111: January 06, 2011, 04:56:29 PM »
A "user" shouldn't be able to drag an app to the trash to delete it.  Because they should be on a limited account, not an administrator account.  OS X also keeps settings, in the Library, but they are all small files like com.apple.itunes.plist, etc.  Not all bunched in one big mega file thing that can fall apart.

Not that uninstalling on Windows is hard, from the average user's perspective, just deleting the app is more intuitive than a whole process like running an uninstall program.

Offline Obed_Marsh

• ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • Photos
« Reply #112: January 06, 2011, 05:46:32 PM »
I liked the MacBook Air but Guitar Center (of all places) cut me a killer deal on my last MacBook Pro so I went with it instead.

More or less that was why I ended up getting the HP Netbook. I got a killer deal on it.

Size:Processing Power wise, it had the most bang for the buck on the small netbook side.

My next duel between products will be the HP Slate and Apple iPad. :)

Offline The Chief

« Reply #113: January 06, 2011, 06:36:40 PM »
The easiest way to uninstall programs is to reformat your hard drive.*

* I Dell tech actually told this to my wife, who has a computer science degree.

I once had a Dell tech insist that I take the CPU out of the socket during the course of troubleshooting some minor issue.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #114: January 06, 2011, 06:40:03 PM »
A "user" shouldn't be able to drag an app to the trash to delete it.

We both know most people don't run as users.

Not that uninstalling on Windows is hard, from the average user's perspective, just deleting the app is more intuitive than a whole process like running an uninstall program.

Like I said, protecting users from themselves.  Apple knows all about that ;)

Online Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #115: January 06, 2011, 06:41:12 PM »
We both know most people don't run as users.
They should.  It's much better security although I myself run as admin

Offline blue911

« Reply #116: January 06, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
I once had a Dell tech insist that I take the CPU out of the socket during the course of troubleshooting some minor issue.

:doh:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #117: January 06, 2011, 07:35:30 PM »
And iOS is a walled garden (mostly).  Mac OS is not.  In fact, I would go as far as to say that hardware is Apple's biggest advantage these days, not OS differences.  Apple notebooks are MUCH nicer than most of their PC counterparts, and usually have better batteries to boot.

let me rephrase, every program my wife uses is made by apple itunes, mail, safari, iphoto, pages. Everything works great together and there is nothing to screw up

Offline The Chief

Online Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #119: January 07, 2011, 07:17:09 PM »
My dad's going to be pissed :lol:

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #120: January 10, 2011, 09:30:23 PM »
Today was a good day.  Our IT guy called to give me a choice for a new machine to replace my 3-year old MacBook Pro.  I could pick from a 13" MBP , or a 13" MacBook Air.  With 4MB and a 256 GB flash drive, the the Air is about $600 more than the pro.   99% of what I do is MS Office, with a dash of statistical analysis.  I don't do any intense multimedia work nor do I use it to store much personal media.  I have only used about 150 GB of my 250 GB hard drive on my current machine (and probably 50 GB of that are Top Gears).

Comparing them I found:
- the MBP has a faster processor (2.4 Ghz to 2.13 Ghz).  The current machine is 2.4
- the MBP has a 320 GB HD vs 250 for the Air, but the air is a flash drive
- the air starts up in about 15 seconds
- the Air battery is supposed to last 7 hours
- the Air supports 1440x900 but doesn't have a DVI port (you need a $30 mini-to-DVI adapter)
- the MPB has FW, the air doesn't
- the MPB has a backlight keyboard and a super drive
- the Air doesn't have an ethernet port, you need an adapter for $30.

I went for the air as I travel a lot and thought having the lighter machine (2.3 lbs versus 4.5 for the MBP) made it more attractive.  The only thing I think I'm really going to miss is the backlit keyboard.

Did I goof?

Online Nathan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #121: January 10, 2011, 09:36:54 PM »
The Air is supposed to be really speedy since it doesn't use a magnetic HDD.  The 13" MBP is a regular MacBook in a MBP's clothing anyway.  I don't know how you have a "Pro" machine that doesn't have an discrete graphics chip (not even an option!).

I think you'll be happy with the Air, especially since you mention travel and mobility.  The Air is light and has great battery life.  If you want a disc drive, I wouldn't pay Apple $79 for the external superdrive they sell unless you love the looks.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #122: January 10, 2011, 11:20:19 PM »
Iphone to Verizon coming tomorrow, possibly?  Probably making that move when it happens...

Offline The Chief

« Reply #123: January 11, 2011, 07:26:23 AM »
Iphone to Verizon coming tomorrow, possibly?  Probably making that move when it happens...

Given the media frenzy since the link I posted a few posts up, it's all but guaranteed now.  Would be hilarious if it turned out to be something else though :mg:

Offline MarquisDeSade

« Reply #124: January 11, 2011, 09:45:01 AM »
- the MPB has FW, the air doesn't

It does?  My wife got a new MBP in July and it didn't have a full FW port.