Author Topic: 2010 Official draft pick signings/discussion thread  (Read 13258 times)

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
The thing is that the Nats & Boras could agree to a deal beforehand but MLB won't allow it to be announced until the last day

Typically, teams have to have to have the rough parameters of the deal in by midnight. There is some wiggle room from what I understand provided that the initial details are entered. The thing to watch, listen for is whether or not Harper gets a physical. If that happens, a major league deal can be done.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
The thing is that the Nats & Boras could agree to a deal beforehand but MLB won't allow it to be announced until the last day

Because it's so much overslot?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
The Washington Nationals today agree to terms with 22 players selected by the Nationals in last week's 2010 First-Year Player Draft: shortstop Jason Martinson (fifth round), catcher Cole Leonida (sixth round), right-handed pitcher Aaron Barrett (ninth round), shortstop Blake Kelso (10th round), right-handed pitcher Neil Holland (11th round), right-handed pitcher Christopher McKenzie (13th round), catcher David Freitas (15th round), right-handed pitcher Mark Herrera (16th round), right-handed pitcher Tyler Hanks (17th round), second baseman Justin Miller (18th round), center fielder Wade Moore (19th round), right fielder Chad Mozingo (20th round), right-handed pitcher Cameron Selik (22nd round), right-handed pitcher Colin Bates (23rd round), left-handed pitcher Christian Meza (25th round), left-handed pitcher Christopher Manno (26th round), catcher Jeremy Mayo (31st round), left-handed pitcher Ryan Sherriff (33rd round), first baseman Robert Oliver (35th round), left-handed pitcher Nicholas Serino (37th round), right-handed pitcher Kevin Cahill (41st round)and outfielder Dimetrius Hatcher (49th round). The Nationals also announced the signings of shortstop Mille Rogers (Carson-Newman College) and right-handed pitchers Tim Dupuis (Assumption College), Mike Gallo (Milligan College), Zach Gerler (Austin Peay University) and Ben Graham (Emporia State) as non-drafted free agents. Nationals Vice President of Player Personnel and Assistant General Manager Roy Clark and Nationals Director of Scouting Kris Kline made the joint announcements.

Offline NFA Brian

Because it's so much overslot?

Yes. MLB typically does not allow deals over-slot to be announced prior to the last minute.

Offline HalfSmokes

Yes. MLB typically does not allow deals over-slot to be announced prior to the last minute.

mlb can't disallow it, they can only request it. If the team wanted to announce it, they could.

Offline NFA Brian

mlb can't disallow it, they can only request it. If the team wanted to announce it, they could.

They could, but they won't. Too many behind the scenes things can be done (like ensuring the All Star Game is not in DC in 2015)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
That burns time that he could be playing and competing. MLB would get involved and delay the start of someones career?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
That burns time that he could be playing and competing. MLB would get involved and delay the start of someones career?

To preserve the appearance of maintaining the slotting system?  Absolutely.

Offline HalfSmokes

It hurts that our ownership group is more at mlb's mercy than most now that we might get the ASG and when we have a TV contract they probably want to get out of. If this were a team like the yankees I'm sure the kid would be in pinstripes and Selig would be told where he can stick his slotting system

Online Section214

Wow Brian that chart is awesome. Thanks a ton. Oh and I completely agree that we should give Cole first round $$$ We desperately need more under 21 year old arms to groom

Offline GMUTrkstar

Anyone into the draft should check out this article on MLBBonusBaby Andy Seiler has comments on all 50 of our draft picks as well as a summary, heres a portion of the artice:

1. Bryce Harper, OF, CC of Southern Nevada, #1 Overall, 6'3''/205, Seiler Rating 1A2: The Nationals only had one pick to make here, and they made the right one. I know that's an understatement, but there's something to say for making the no-brainer decision. I don't expect Harper to sign until the 11 o'clock hour on August 16, and my guess is the bonus is in the $12-$15 million range. DOB: 10/16/92.
2. Sammy Solis, LHP, San Diego, #51 Overall, 6'5''/230, Seiler Rating 1C4: With the first pick on the second day of the draft, the Nationals got a quality arm that was squarely in my top 100, and I thought Solis was a strong supplemental first round candidate. However, he fell due to an injury history involving his back, and his stuff is more of a #3/4 starter's than a #2. He should sign sooner rather than later, but he is a sophomore-eligible, so he could wait it out if he wants to. DOB: 8/10/88.
3. Rick Hague, SS, Rice, #83 Overall, 6'2''/190, Seiler Rating 2C2: Hague had a rough start to his 2010 season both at the plate and in the field, and it got to the point that he was demoted from that position. However, he recovered, and it looks like he reached the point of deserving this draft slot. With some pop in his bat and good hands and an arm, he's better suited as a third baseman in the long run, so it remains to be seen if he can hit enough to stick there. I'm fine with this pick as long as they can ink him away from his senior year at Rice for a reasonable price. DOB: 9/18/88.
4. A.J. Cole, RHP, Oviedo HS (FL), #116 Overall, 6'4''/181, Seiler Rating 1B1: Cole looked like an early first round pick entering the spring, but he never really took off, and his stuff was down a little as the spring came to a close. That caused him to sink, and teams ended up not wanting to pay a prep pitching asking price at the end of the first round. This could end up being a steal here, and even though I think this will go down to the wire, I think he'll sign for something in the $1.5-2 million range. This could be quite a pick when combined with their first three. DOB: 1/5/92. Commitment: Miami.

Now that you've had profiles for each of the 50 Washington National draft picks, let's explore why I gave them a Grade A- and ranked them as my second favorite draft class overall. First, I think there's absolutely something to say for making a no-brainer decision correctly. By drafting Bryce Harper, Mike Rizzo and team have made the correct decision that wasn't necessarily an easy one. Just ask Pirates fans what it's like to have a great player on the board and bypass them. But Harper isn't why I have this class rated so highly. The additions of Solis, Hague, and Cole put this class over the top for talent, balance, and execution. Solis could have gone higher, so they got a great arm. Hague was seen as a late first round talent at the beginning of the spring, and the tools are pretty much still there, so they could get a steal. Cole is the same way, and even though there's a chance he doesn't sign, I don't see them letting him get by as long as he's not asking for more than $3 million. They then proceeded to add a good number of potentially usable Major League pieces, both with pitching and hitting. I particularly like the picks of Barrett and Hanks, and they've done a nice job signing players off the bat. If they ink Keyes and Smalling, which I expect to happen, the balance is good. They couldn't afford to go after too many prep players after Cole, but I like the pick of Ray in case his price tag isn't as high as expected, and he's a nice backup in case Cole gets too expensive. The pick of McKenzie is also good, so I just generally like this class a lot. It's tangibly better than the Nationals' class behind Stephen Strasburg a year ago, as they had to go for signable players such as Trevor Holder way too early. I'll take Sammy Solis, Rick Hague, and A.J. Cole over Jeff Kobernus, Trevor Holder, and A.J. Morris any day. They graded an A for talent, A- for balance, and A- for execution, getting an A- total. Great draft and great decision-making team. With the Mets being the only large-market team in their division, given their total lack of commitment to the draft as a procurement arm, I can see the Nationals slowly sneaking up as a strong NL East team in 4-5 years. I know that's hard to see now, but if you look at the pieces they're adding, I like where they're going.

http://www.mlbbonusbaby.com/2010/6/17/1521409/draft-review-washington-nationals#storyjump

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
With the Mets being the only large-market team in their division, given their total lack of commitment to the draft as a procurement arm

He doesn't consider the Phillies to be a large market team?  Bigger market than DC and a sold out park very night.

Offline HalfSmokes

If you're going by just size, doesn't Atlanta qualify too?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Great overview.

Really enjoyed that article by Andy.

Offline PatsNats28

He doesn't consider the Phillies to be a large market team?  Bigger market than DC and a sold out park very night.

I think by large market, he means NYC, Chicago, LA? Philly is a second tier market, along with Atlanta, DC, and Miami (if they cared)

Offline PatsNats28

I missed our draft convo... from what I've read, I feel like people should be mad about the Solis pick. Doesn't sound like he has a ton of upside... good pick/bad pick?

Offline NFA Brian

I missed our draft convo... from what I've read, I feel like people should be mad about the Solis pick. Doesn't sound like he has a ton of upside... good pick/bad pick?

Solis was in the discussions for the first round (back end of the first round). He does not project as a front-line SP (#1 or 2) but could develop into a solid middle of the rotation guy though he doesn't throw as hard as you would expect a guy his size to throw.

I like the pick.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Maybe he has a flaw in his delivery that the Nats can fix to increase his velocity?

Also, Solis reminds me of Lannan... is that reasonable?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Any word on negotiations with Boras/Harper?

Offline NFA Brian

Maybe he has a flaw in his delivery that the Nats can fix to increase his velocity?

Also, Solis reminds me of Lannan... is that reasonable?

Throws harder than Lannan but more or less an OK comp

Offline NFA Brian

Any word on negotiations with Boras/Harper?

I would put finding any news about Harper negotiations on the back burner. I doubt there will be any movement until August.

Offline PatsNats28

Breaking News: Boras makes comparison of Harper to A-Rod, suggests $200 million as a starting figure for negotiations

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
What does Harper think about Stephen Strasburg?

Harper: He has the talent to be one of the best pitchers ever to play the game. I'd like to watch the thing playing in right field. It might be a little boring because he is so good and he might strike a lot of guys out.

Ahem. Sounds like a good kid to me.
http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/article/2010-06-14/bryce-harpers-juco-coach-he-proved-lot-people-wrong

Offline PatsNats28

Haha I like that - it might be boring.

Offline UMDNats

As a pro, will Harper try to wear eye black down his cheeks like he did at CSN?
Harper: I'm not going to wear it [in the minors]. It's a different level. It's a different stage of baseball. I didn't wear it with Team USA. I'm not going to take it to the big leagues or anything like that, or in the minors. That's in the past. I was fortunate Coach Chambers let me wear it and be myself.

Maybe now people can stop :panic: