Author Topic: 2010 Official draft pick signings/discussion thread  (Read 13211 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
:clap:

# 15th rd CA David Freitas: Signed already. Most likely headed to Vermont to pair with Leonida perhaps

http://natsfarm.com/2010/06/10/draft-day-recap/

Offline NatsDad14

We have to sign A.J. Cole because our system is a joke after 2-3 prospects. Compare to the Braves and we have a long ways to go. We have no good stuff Strikeout pitchers in our system.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
After hyping him up in the draft thread and then seeing even people like Baseball America had him as a top 3 talent following day one, I'd like to say the last two nights have made me mad as heck we missed out on drafting Brett Eibner and took that Solis guy instead with our second pick. Arkansas the last two nights did lose to Arizona State in 12 innings each time, but both nights Brett Eibner showed his greatness both ways giving us a chance against the #1 team in the nation at their place.

On Saturday night he came into a tie game in the 9th and took it 3.2 innings scoreless before a walkoff RBI single in the bottom of the 12th. Before he came into pitch with men on in a tie game in the 9th, he got no bullpen time. His warmup was in CF before the inning when he was throwing like a pitcher to a corner outfielder. Yeah, we lost, but for on the road in a Super Regional against the best team in the nation after playing all game in the field, I think that is as clutch as you can get. The announcers mentioned they had spoke to Dave Van Horn and said if the Royals made Eibner pitch, he will eventually be throwing 100 mph. Considering he has never worked much at pitching and all year he still was our second best starter on top of being a lockdown closer at the end of the year, he isn't very far from Solis in my mind.

Last night, Arkansas went up to bat in the bottom of the ninth down 5-4. Brett Eibner got up to bat with 2 outs, none on, and had a 1-2 count when he bombed a homer to send it to extra innings. His 22nd home run of the year.

What more did we want out of that guy? He could have instantly came in as one of our better pitching prospects or as one of our very best hitting prospects. We missed a lot not taking him.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Do you think your opinion might be swayed by the fact that he went to Arkansas?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Completely.

Offline PANatsFan

I actually think the descriptions of Solis are eerily like those of Detwiler pre-draft. So I wasn't that excited, but since other picks listed as good ones project as LOOGYs ( :lol:)  I'm reconsidering.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Comments by Kevin Goldstein at Baseball Prospectus, from June 10:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=11141

Day One Selections
1. Bryce Harper, OF, College of Southern Nevada (JC)

Inside the Pick: He was the Nationals pick here the second he skipped out on high school two years early, and that never wavered after he exceeded what were already historically high expectations.
What He is: A player with absolutely historic-level power, as it already shows up in games with wood bats. But that's not his only tool, as some grade his arm at the top of the scale, and he's at least an average runner.
What He is Not: A catcher anymore, as the Nationals announced him as an outfielder, and that's a good call, as catching will add to the injury risk, distract from his offense as he was raw behind the plate, and force his bat to the bench once a week. With his power is going to come strikeouts, and his on-the-field showmanship is going to need to be tempered or he'll take some fastballs in the ribs.
Path with the Nationals: As an outfielder, he could be in the big leagues in three years or less, despite his age. Getting there by 20 is almost an expectation at this point, and 19 isn't completely out of the question. Either way, he projects as a massive, MVP-level producer in the big leagues. Now, they just need to sign him.

Through Three Rounds
2 (51): Sammy Solis, LHP, San Diego
3 (83): Rick Hague, SS, Rice

The Nationals tempered their risk (and their wallet) with these two selections. Solis had some higher expectations, maybe even sliding into the end of the first round, and he's your classic polished college lefty who pounds the strike zone with an average fastball, average curve, and very good change. Hague had an up-and-down spring at Rice, but he's a scrappy infielder who profiles best at second, but can play on the left side in a pinch. If he can stay up the middle, he has solid pop there.

Of Note Afterward: Fourth-round pick A.J. Cole fell due to signability concerns, and one wonders if Washington has the budget to give the Florida high school product the seven figures he's looking for after they sign Harper. If they can, he's a great pick here as a highly projectable righty who already touches 95 mph. Harper caught 17th-round pick Tyler Hanks this spring, and he showed big-time velocity out of the bullpen, but little else.
Summary: Obviously, the success or failure of this draft revolves almost entirely around Harper. 

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
Hearing that Chad Mozingo has signed but cannot get it independently confirmed. Consider a rumor at this point

Offline DPMOmaha

Per Zuckerman:

The Nationals have signed 22 of their 50 picks from last week's draft, though none of their top four selections yet.

The club announced today that 22 drafted players have agreed to terms, along with five undrafted free agents.

The players who have signed...

-- Shortstop Jason Martinson (fifth round)
-- Catcher Cole Leonida (sixth round)
-- Right-hander Aaron Barrett (ninth round)
-- Shortstop Blake Kelso (10th round)
-- Right-hander Neil Holland (11th round)
-- Right-hander Christopher McKenzie (13th round)
-- Catcher David Freitas (15th round)
-- Right-hander Mark Herrera (16th round)
-- Right-hander Tyler Hanks (17th round)
-- Second baseman Justin Miller (18th round)
-- Center fielder Wade Moore (19th round)
-- Right fielder Chad Mozingo (20th round)
-- Right-hander Cameron Selik (22nd round)
-- Right-hander Colin Bates (23rd round)
-- Left-hander Christian Meza (25th round)
-- Left-hander Christopher Manno (26th round)
-- Catcher Jeremy Mayo (31st round)
-- Left-hander Ryan Sherriff (33rd round)
-- First baseman Robert Oliver (35th round)
-- Left-hander Nicholas Serino (37th round)
-- Right-hander Kevin Cahill (41st round)
-- Outfielder Dimetrius Hatcher (49th round)

The undrafted free agents who signed...

-- Shortstop Mille Rogers (Carson-Newman College)
-- Right-hander Tim Dupuis (Assumption College)
-- Right-hander Mike Gallo (Milligan College)
-- Right-hander Zach Gerler (Austin Peay University)
-- Right-hander Ben Graham (Emporia State)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
We need some kind of table or chart with all of our picks listed in order and a status icon of some sort next to each name.  Y'know, a scoreboard.

Offline NFA Brian

We need some kind of table or chart with all of our picks listed in order and a status icon of some sort next to each name.  Y'know, a scoreboard.
This help?

DraftTrack

Offline PANatsFan

Offline houston-nat

This help?

DraftTrack
Wow!
Got a spelling fix for you in the 2009 column, the Rice commit is Michael Ratterree, not Rattarree. Please don't take this the wrong way, it's just that I graduated from Rice last month and was very impressed with Ratterree's play this spring. Cool that we had drafted him, and definitely hope he's still on our radar.

Awesome awesome spreadsheet as always Brian!

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Brian, i am shocked that neither MASN or the Post has hired you to cover the Minors on their website yet. Or at least tried to give you freelance gigs at it.

Offline NFA Brian

Two of the undrafted guys they signed (Dupuis & Gerler) were closers for their respective colleges for what it's worth

Offline NFA Brian

Brian, i am shocked that neither MASN or the Post has hired you to cover the Minors on their website yet. Or at least tried to give you freelance gigs at it.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

My guess is that the minor leagues are not high enough profile. The folks who frequent NFA (and this thread) are likely a small subset.

Trust me, I'd love for the minors to get more attention but it's going to take time.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
If we can give Brian freaking Bruney two million to come here and suck for a few games, can't we give a high ceiling pitching prospect like A.J. Cole the seven figures he's asking for?

Offline PANatsFan

If we can give Brian freaking Bruney two million to come here and suck for a few games, can't we give a high ceiling pitching prospect like A.J. Cole the seven figures he's asking for?

They overdrafted Nieto 4th and payed double slot (750k) I believe. But this a 1st round overdraft.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
They overdrafted Nieto 4th and payed double slot (750k) I believe. But this a 1st round overdraft.
So? If they think he's the real deal, they should get it done, no matter the cost.

Offline DPMOmaha

I think they'll ponie up for him.  You don't draft a guy like that and not know what the situation is.  Let's just let it all play out first.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I think they'll ponie up for him.  You don't draft a guy like that and not know what the situation is.  Let's just let it all play out first.

Right.  They'll sign him, he's not looking for Crow type money.   :lmao:

Offline PANatsFan

So? If they think he's the real deal, they should get it done, no matter the cost.

They will, but I wonder if they want to give in to Boras early with Harper and get him playing and then concentrate on Cole.

Offline NFA Brian

They will, but I wonder if they want to give in to Boras early with Harper and get him playing and then concentrate on Cole.

Really doesn't matter if they want to give into Boras. He's likely content to wait for the deadline. It's his M.O. Waits until the deadline and gets deals done.

I figure if the Nats sign both guys, we'll hear about both on the last day

Offline PANatsFan

Really doesn't matter if they want to give into Boras. He's likely content to wait for the deadline. It's his M.O. Waits until the deadline and gets deals done.

I figure if the Nats sign both guys, we'll hear about both on the last day

Touche. Do you know if they fax an offer sheet to the commissioner's office or just text deal done or what have you in order to get in 2 minutes before the deadline?

I just had vain hopes behind Rizzo's statements about Harper playing rookie ball this year.