Author Topic: 2010 Official draft pick signings/discussion thread  (Read 13194 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Thought I should make a thread.

This can be a place to talk about our draft pick as well as a place to post when they have officially signed with the team.

Here's a helpful link that will let us know how many have already signed.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draftdb/2010xteam.php?team=1012

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
This time last year, Storen had already signed.   

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
This time last year, Storen had already signed.   

OTHER TEAMS HAVE SIGNED THEIR 1st PICKS. WTF CHEAPLEARNAERS and RIZZORON. HARPER TODAY RABBBLEdfgjaiknvsamoprg :rant: :panic:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
We took 14 players from Texas. That seems like a lot.

Offline HalfSmokes

so does Harrison Fanaroff, our 50th round pick, even get a contract offer?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Harrison is a last name, but what the heck is Fanaroff?  Russian royalty?

Offline houston-nat

My writeups of the two Rice picks, pasted from the other thread.

Rick Hague. Shortstop. A string-bean kid, real skinny and medium height, very athletic. Before every inning, as the first batter walks to the plate, he pumps himself up by launching himself into the air in a big-ass vertical jump. From the stands, it looks to me like he can jump 20+ inches. Pretty ballin'.

His first two years at Rice, Hague's defense was stellar. The guy has speed and range and energy to burn. He's mostly been a high-average singles hitter, sitting up in the low .300s belting out drives to the outfield gaps left and right, with acceptable patience. I always thought Hague was a pleasure to watch.

Unfortunately I didn't go to many Rice baseball games this year, but I heard that Hague had a sharp downturn at the start of the season, especially defensively. Evidently he collected three errors in one inning at some point. He has been on the up since, though, and when I saw him in late April he seemed fine, except that the scoreboard said his batting average was something like .230. (He got a walk and a clutch hit in anyway.)

What will Rick Hague end up being? Well, in my super-biased mind, he must be a good, hard-working guy, since he went to Rice ;) , and he's quick enough to adapt to 2B if needed. I would argue against the grain, though, that it's Hague's defense that will take him places. For an example of a shortstop with a similar combination of speed, glove, and high error count, look no further than our major league team. Hague may not develop the kind of bat Ian Desmond has, but we'll have plenty of time to tell. He probably projects as a SS and 2B defensive sub who will show some competence getting on base.

VIDEO:
Swing slowed down for analysis:
Some more at-bats:
Freshman year home run:
Infield practice (kinda boring):

Chad Mozingo. Outfielder. He was our leadoff hitter for most of the year, no power at all but was plenty able to get himself on base and poke singles into the outfield. Good fielding, mostly center and right. Didn't get to see his arm much, though. Apparently he had an ankle problem recently, but it shouldn't be major. Not somebody I would ever expect to contribute in the big leagues, but who knows, right?

VIDEO:
Freshman year home run:

Offline Section214

First signee. Mark Herrerra a JC SP... Glad to see someone stepping in.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Nice!

Welcome to the club Mark!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

For the year at San Jacinto CC; Herrera posted the following numbers.

2-2, 1.03 ERA, 26.1 IP, 37/6 K/BB, 0.76 WHIP.

Herrera pitched in 15 games, all as a reliever.

Offline GMUTrkstar

Heres John Sickels review of our draft:

COMMENT: Everyone knew the Nationals would pick Harper, but I don't think people expected the rest of their draft to pan out like this. A year ago, Harper, Solis, Hague, and Cole were considered first round candidates, and Keyes was expected to be a second rounder. Erratic springs knocked down the stock of Hague and Keyes, but both could rebound. Solis is a polished arm who should move fast, while Cole might be the best high school pitcher in the draft not named Taillon. If they can sign Cole, this class goes from being quite strong to being truly outstanding. Many of the later picks are just potential role players, but that's ok considering how much it will cost to sign the impact guys. Overall, I love this draft.

Thats just the summary you can read his comments on our first 10 rounds here:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/6/13/1516348/washington-nationals-draft-review#storyjump

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Good news.

The team really needs a lot of talent in the system... because outside of the top 4 or 5, it's terrible.

Offline PANatsFan

Googling Mark Herrera returns a physics grad student at Maryland first.

Offline Potomac Cannons

Good news.

The team really needs a lot of talent in the system... because outside of the top 4 or 5, it's terrible.

2 years ago that was a true statement.  It's still pretty bad at the AAA/AA level, but we've got a lot of A+/A guys that are showing really good development.

Let's take out the guys who are in the majors right now and leave out Detwiler/JZ with injuries.  What do we have prospect wise that constitutes quality?

AAA: 

No bats. 
Josh Wilkie looks like a solid bullpen prospect but is 26 in July so he needs to force his way to DC now.
Erik Arnesen is 26, has started and relieved this year, and is putting up good numbers in Syracuse right now.
Atahualpa Severino is another decent reliever and is 26 in November.
Victor Garate is a lefty reliever and 26 in September.
Jeff Mandel fits the mold of a serviceable starter.  He is 25.
I'm pretty sure we all know Matt Chico and Shairon Martis by now.

Serviceable arms and not much more.

AA:
Chris Marrero is still very young for AA (22 next month), is good enough at 1B, and has a .748 OPS after a slow start.
Danny Espinosa, 23, has good range at SS. Needs to make more contact but his OBP is .096 higher than his AVG.
Brad Meyers is 25 in September, putting up dominant numbers.  Best SP prospect above A ball.
Tom Milone, 23, lefty with good year at A+ in 09 and very good start at AA in 10.

1B platoon against LHP, everyday MI, two mid-rotation possibilities.  Not great, but not bad

A+:
Derek Norris, 21, C that just needs to stay healthy and mature/develop into his role.
Michael Burgess, 22 in October, finally putting it together.  Everyday RF.  OBP/OPS taking major upswing this year.
Tyler Weeden, C, 23 in September.  Former Red Sox prospect.  Talented but injury prone.
Martin Beno, reliever, 24 in August.  Big uptick in control, needs to move to AA and succeed there as well.
Evan Bronson, lefty starter, 23, 26th round pick in 2009 already pitching very well at A+.
Patrick Lehman, starter, 13th round pick in 2009 pitching well at A+.  24 in October.
Brad Peacock, starter, 22, very high K/BB rate, gives up too many hits.
Marcos Frias, starter, 22 in December.  Dominated prior to this year, struggled to start and now on DL.
Patrick McCoy, lefty reliever, 22 in August.  Improving control but too many hits.
AJ Morris, starter, 24 in December.  4th round pick in 2009.  Very good 09, too many walks so far in 2010.

That's everyday MLB potential at C and RF as well as 5 starters and two relievers showing good promise (3 being picks from last year).

A:
This is where we get the youngsters who are just starting.  Bats like Destin Hood, Jeff Kobernus and Eury Perez are playing their first full seasons in the minors but all have good upside.  Wonder if Steven Souza will get his bat going this year.  Not sure who Hector Taveras is but I'll be adding him to the guys I'm watching.
Daniel Rosenbaum, 23 in October, 22nd round pick in 2009, is dominating as a lefty starter so far. 
Trevor Holder, 23, 3rd round in 2009 is having a good season but needs to cut down on hits. 
Paul Demny, 21 in August, is worth watching.  6th round pick in 2008 showing big improvement in his 2nd full year.

A handful of raw bats and 3 good looking SP prospects.  Too bad Jack McGeary got hurt as he looked to be getting things figured out this year.

Add in this draft and the talent at A+ and below is starting to look pretty good.  Not everyone is going to be a superstar but it looks like we have a steady progression of guys with MLB roster talent.  Clearly heavy on good enough SP prospects with a few that could pan out to mid rotation level.  It would do wonders if Marrero and Espinosa both make it to DC in 2011 and can contribute.

Definitely more than the top 4-5 guys in the system and last years draft is already looking phenomenal.  2 guys pitching in DC, 3 more starters pitching at A+ and doing well, 1 starter at A dominating and another doing well.  I doubt that draft actually produces 7 major league arms, but 40% on the A+/A guys isn't too much to hope for with the early returns.

Offline PANatsFan

Heres John Sickels review of our draft:

Thats just the summary you can read his comments on our first 10 rounds here:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/6/13/1516348/washington-nationals-draft-review#storyjump

Homina homina. Is this guy credible, because, wow.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future

Agreed.

Everything sounds so awesome when you look at their potential. I do like the Keyes write up... especially the line about him getting fatter lol

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
2 years ago that was a true statement.  It's still pretty bad at the AAA/AA level, but we've got a lot of A+/A guys that are showing really good development.

Let's take out the guys who are in the majors right now and leave out Detwiler/JZ with injuries.  What do we have prospect wise that constitutes quality?

AAA: 

No bats. 
Josh Wilkie looks like a solid bullpen prospect but is 26 in July so he needs to force his way to DC now.
Erik Arnesen is 26, has started and relieved this year, and is putting up good numbers in Syracuse right now.
Atahualpa Severino is another decent reliever and is 26 in November.
Victor Garate is a lefty reliever and 26 in September.
Jeff Mandel fits the mold of a serviceable starter.  He is 25.
I'm pretty sure we all know Matt Chico and Shairon Martis by now.

Serviceable arms and not much more.

AA:
Chris Marrero is still very young for AA (22 next month), is good enough at 1B, and has a .748 OPS after a slow start.
Danny Espinosa, 23, has good range at SS. Needs to make more contact but his OBP is .096 higher than his AVG.
Brad Meyers is 25 in September, putting up dominant numbers.  Best SP prospect above A ball.
Tom Milone, 23, lefty with good year at A+ in 09 and very good start at AA in 10.

1B platoon against LHP, everyday MI, two mid-rotation possibilities.  Not great, but not bad

A+:
Derek Norris, 21, C that just needs to stay healthy and mature/develop into his role.
Michael Burgess, 22 in October, finally putting it together.  Everyday RF.  OBP/OPS taking major upswing this year.
Tyler Weeden, C, 23 in September.  Former Red Sox prospect.  Talented but injury prone.
Martin Beno, reliever, 24 in August.  Big uptick in control, needs to move to AA and succeed there as well.
Evan Bronson, lefty starter, 23, 26th round pick in 2009 already pitching very well at A+.
Patrick Lehman, starter, 13th round pick in 2009 pitching well at A+.  24 in October.
Brad Peacock, starter, 22, very high K/BB rate, gives up too many hits.
Marcos Frias, starter, 22 in December.  Dominated prior to this year, struggled to start and now on DL.
Patrick McCoy, lefty reliever, 22 in August.  Improving control but too many hits.
AJ Morris, starter, 24 in December.  4th round pick in 2009.  Very good 09, too many walks so far in 2010.

That's everyday MLB potential at C and RF as well as 5 starters and two relievers showing good promise (3 being picks from last year).

A:
This is where we get the youngsters who are just starting.  Bats like Destin Hood, Jeff Kobernus and Eury Perez are playing their first full seasons in the minors but all have good upside.  Wonder if Steven Souza will get his bat going this year.  Not sure who Hector Taveras is but I'll be adding him to the guys I'm watching.
Daniel Rosenbaum, 23 in October, 22nd round pick in 2009, is dominating as a lefty starter so far. 
Trevor Holder, 23, 3rd round in 2009 is having a good season but needs to cut down on hits. 
Paul Demny, 21 in August, is worth watching.  6th round pick in 2008 showing big improvement in his 2nd full year.

A handful of raw bats and 3 good looking SP prospects.  Too bad Jack McGeary got hurt as he looked to be getting things figured out this year.

Add in this draft and the talent at A+ and below is starting to look pretty good.  Not everyone is going to be a superstar but it looks like we have a steady progression of guys with MLB roster talent.  Clearly heavy on good enough SP prospects with a few that could pan out to mid rotation level.  It would do wonders if Marrero and Espinosa both make it to DC in 2011 and can contribute.

Definitely more than the top 4-5 guys in the system and last years draft is already looking phenomenal.  2 guys pitching in DC, 3 more starters pitching at A+ and doing well, 1 starter at A dominating and another doing well.  I doubt that draft actually produces 7 major league arms, but 40% on the A+/A guys isn't too much to hope for with the early returns.

I doubt Marrero ever sees DC if we resign Dunn.

Offline houston-nat

GREAT post, Cannons. Loved it. Thank you.

Offline Potomac Cannons

I doubt Marrero ever sees DC if we resign Dunn.

I agree with that a bit, but 2 years would put Marrero at 24 which is still pretty young for an MLB debut.  I think the best case scenario is Dunn extended for 2 years followed by Marrero putting it all together and then being moved for whatever spot he can bring the most return for.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I agree with that a bit, but 2 years would put Marrero at 24 which is still pretty young for an MLB debut.  I think the best case scenario is Dunn extended for 2 years followed by Marrero putting it all together and then being moved for whatever spot he can bring the most return for.

That's what I've always seen him as... trade bait.

Hopefully if he mashes in the minors, he'll bring a nice player if packaged with the right guys.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
That's what I've always seen him as... trade bait.

Hopefully if he mashes in the minors, he'll bring a nice player if packaged with the right guys.

:pray: Oswalt :pray: Is this even still an option for us?

Offline Potomac Cannons

:pray: Oswalt :pray: Is this even still an option for us?

I hope so.  I'd definitely move Marrero, Espinosa and one of our extra starters like Martin/Stammen or a prospect pitcher like Meyers for him.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Go Rizzo!

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back

Sickels is THE GUY for prospect and draft stuff.