Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: A.J. "Taylor" Cole, RHP  (Read 45038 times)

Offline flash22

What are the chances he signs?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: A.J. Cole
« Reply #1: June 09, 2010, 07:01:30 PM »
Well, there's a reason he fell that far.

Not sure who wouldn't want to sign up after seeing that game last night, though. I hope the Nats are ready to pay a bunch, it would be a steal.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: June 09, 2010, 10:37:39 PM »
What are the chances he signs?

Don't know enough about him to answer that.  If he's like Aaron Crow, he might prefer tavern wenches, cheap beer, shooting pool and half-pound burgers to actually starting his career.  Or, if he's like Drew Storen, he can sign, work has ass off, and make it to the majors in a very expedited timetable.

Yeah, I know, he's underage, but the underlying principle is the same.  Does he want to screw around in hopes of extracting a few hundred $ more, a hope that may not actually happen, or sign quickly and start his career NOW, which would mean the most rapid ascent to the majors possible.

What do you think, flash, do you know anything about him you can share with us?

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #3: June 10, 2010, 07:52:56 AM »
As always, the chances are 100% that he signs if we offer him enough. Very few guys are like Aaron Crow, who was represented by a couple of amateurs who made completely unreasonable demands in asking for more money than another college pitcher drafted 5 spots earlier (Matusz) who now has 20 MLB starts while Crow is languishing in AA.

That being said, I don't think it's unreasonable for A.J. Cole to ask for something like mid first round money - say somewhere between $1.5-2 million. If we offer him that, I bet he signs. I hope we took him with that intention.

In all honesty, quibbling over a few hundred thousand with prospects isn't a great business strategy considering the draft is the single biggest source of potential excess value in baseball. Bargain them hard, then sign them in the end.

Of course, with a real a-hole like Aaron Crow, just tell them to shove it.

Offline Section214

« Reply #4: June 10, 2010, 08:47:24 AM »
I doubt he will sign but as has been stated. With the right amount of $$ the kid will sign. It would be a tremendous steal ala Destin Hood if we could lure this guy away from college. Here's hopin we do.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #5: June 10, 2010, 12:09:57 PM »
I'd expect Cole to be a bit more polished than Hood was, correct?

Offline Section214

« Reply #6: June 10, 2010, 12:18:18 PM »
I'd expect Cole to be a bit more polished than Hood was, correct?
Absolutely. My point is that Hood would have been drafted higher had he not been an uncertainty for teams because of football. I don't mean the players are similar. I mean simply how they could not sign but ya never know.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #7: June 13, 2010, 11:19:41 PM »
That'd be cool if we sign this dude. With what his potential is, Id really hope for him to turn out.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #8: June 13, 2010, 11:44:19 PM »
That'd be cool if we sign this dude. With what his potential is, Id really hope for him to turn out.

It would be great if we could sign him for mid to late 1st round money.  Even if he doesn't pan out this is the kind of move a team building from within should be doing.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #9: June 13, 2010, 11:59:14 PM »
It would be great if we could sign him for mid to late 1st round money.  Even if he doesn't pan out this is the kind of move a team building from within should be doing.

True. We can't let someone go if he could pan out to help this guy. I mean crap, if he could be an "Ace" that'd be sick.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #10: June 15, 2010, 01:08:06 PM »
you have to sign the kid and i think they will. 

recently the owners have spent on draft picks, don't see this year being any different.

Offline RD

« Reply #11: June 15, 2010, 05:37:29 PM »
Hood had made it rather clear that he was signable. Said he wanted to sign, and that baseball was his first love. Certainly he had something to fall back on if negotiations didn't go his way, but he wasn't a Lee or Cole type of signability issue.

I think the team will go after Cole very hard. They went rather safe with most of the picks after Cole. Even Solis and Hague won't break the bank.  I think they'll go after Cole and if something doesn't happen with him, the later guys like Ray and Simms may have more money fall into their lap than they imagined.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #12: July 04, 2010, 09:36:14 PM »
Cole says he's had little contact with the organization since the draft. However, he is excited about joining an organization that has made a commitment to superior young talent like Strasburg, Harper and Storen.

"I was like, 'Man, I'm on a team with Stephen Strasburg,' " Cole said about what he was thinking when he found out he had been drafted by Washington. "Hopefully I can be like him, throwing 100 mph consistently. You got Bryce Harper, another great kid. It should be a great opportunity."
http://www.seminolechronicle.com/vnews/display.v/ART/4c2b9646b631a

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #13: July 04, 2010, 10:15:05 PM »
Don't believe anything the agent or the team says - and the team deals with the agent not the player. Come to DC, A.J.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #14: July 04, 2010, 10:32:43 PM »
Didn't we have a freak out last year that Strasburg "wasn't in contact with the team"?

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #15: August 14, 2010, 11:20:22 PM »
It looks like AJ Cole is ready to sign. http://therocket.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/08/cole_confident_hell_sign_with.html  This will be a real big pick-up for us.  :)

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #16: August 14, 2010, 11:54:41 PM »
Cole is my favorite draft pick (outside of Harper, obviously).  The scouting reports on him have been very high for some time now and it seems like he has great upside.  As I said back during the draft, a 1-2-3 trio of power arms in Strasburg, Zimmermann and Cole would be exciting to watch.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #17: August 14, 2010, 11:55:08 PM »
:pray:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #18: August 14, 2010, 11:56:14 PM »
Cole is my favorite draft pick (outside of Harper, obviously).  The scouting reports on him have been very high for some time now and it seems like he has great upside.  As I said back during the draft, a 1-2-3 trio of power arms in Strasburg, Zimmermann and Cole would be exciting to watch.

I thought someone compared him to a young Burnett?

That wouldn't be a bad get from a 4th rounder! (I know, I know... he's a first round talent that slipped due to signing worries... but you get my point)

Offline Upark25

« Reply #19: August 14, 2010, 11:58:54 PM »
Ok so if all the top guys sign what would be the projected future rotation? Something like this maybe?

P Strasburg
P Zimmermann
P Cole
P Detwiler
P Solis

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #20: August 15, 2010, 12:04:07 AM »
Ok so if all the top guys sign what would be the projected future rotation? Something like this maybe?

P Strasburg
P Zimmermann
P Cole
P Detwiler
P Solis
How far into the future are we talking?  2 years?  4?  6?

Maya, I think could be a big factor too if he's everything he's been projected to be.

Honestly, I don't see Detwiler being a huge factor in the rotation long term. 

Offline Upark25

« Reply #21: August 15, 2010, 12:07:48 AM »

Maya, I think could be a big factor too if he's everything he's been projected to be.

I was thinking around 3-4 years so about late 2013 early 2014. And I'm still holding out hope that Detwiler and or Lannan pan out I think we will need a good lefty...and I forgot about Maya but he could very well fit in the rotation in the future.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #22: August 15, 2010, 12:10:12 AM »
I don't think our whole rotation will be home grown guys, necessarily.  I could see someone like an A.J Morris making a run at a a rotation spot too. 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #23: August 15, 2010, 12:13:24 AM »

Maya has a major league deal. If we are lucky he'll be a 6 year fixture.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #24: August 15, 2010, 12:15:13 AM »
Maya has a major league deal. If we are lucky he'll be a 6 year fixture.
That would be great.