Author Topic: Microsoft thread  (Read 61153 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Microsoft thread
« Reply #25: June 12, 2010, 11:14:22 PM »
I was actually talking about the startup programs :lol:

As for the services, one or two might be your antivirus software.  The McAfee ones.  Chief?

Disable mcafee - download Avast. Then be happy your computer stopped sucking.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #26: June 12, 2010, 11:17:03 PM »
Yeah I guess if you want to keep using McAfee AV then re-enable those two.  There are couple of others I don't recognize, but if you notice you're missing something you can try re-enabling some things.

As the designated Microsoft shill 'round these parts, I humbly suggest downloading the free Microsoft Security Essentials and giving it a whirl before you try re-enabling McAfee crapware "antivirus" :icon_mrgreen:

edit - PA's suggestion of Avast is decent as well, though I think for most people MSE is a lot less hassle and/or a lot less obnoxious (Avast talks to you like a Cylon in the default config :lol: )

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #27: June 12, 2010, 11:20:07 PM »
Yeah I guess if you want to keep using McAfee AV then re-enable those two.  There are couple of others I don't recognize, but if you notice you're missing something you can try re-enabling some things.

As the designated Microsoft shill 'round these parts, I humbly suggest downloading the free Microsoft Security Essentials and giving it a whirl before you try re-enabling McAfee crapware "antivirus" :icon_mrgreen:

edit - PA's suggestion of Avast is decent as well, though I think for most people MSE is a lot less hassle and/or a lot less obnoxious (Avast talks to you like a Cylon in the default config :lol: )

Yeah there's a chick voice now :lol: Does MSE stop you from visiting infected sites? The main page for Gilly's Craft Beer was infected, Avast saved my butt.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #28: June 12, 2010, 11:26:16 PM »

Yeah there's a chick voice now :lol: Does MSE stop you from visiting infected sites? The main page for Gilly's Craft Beer was infected, Avast saved my butt.

Not sure as MSE has a low rate of false positives as tested by AV comparatives and I don't tend to visit very many risky sites anyway, but I know I used to get a relatively high rate (for me anyway) of false positives with Avast - that is unless all of Ebay really IS infected.  Which I wouldn't really be surprised by.

I don't dislike Avast, I just found it required changing a few too many things from the default config for my liking.  MSE is so hands-off you'd think it was an Apple product :stir:

PS - does the Cylon chick sound hot? :lol:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #29: June 12, 2010, 11:28:24 PM »
Not sure as MSE has a low rate of false positives as tested by AV comparatives and I don't tend to visit very many risky sites anyway, but I know I used to get a relatively high rate (for me anyway) of false positives with Avast - that is unless all of Ebay really IS infected.  Which I wouldn't really be surprised by.

I don't dislike Avast, I just found it required changing a few too many things from the default config for my liking.  MSE is so hands-off you'd think it was an Apple product :stir:

PS - does the Cylon chick sound hot? :lol:

Hotter than the guy. I muted that garbage right quick. I don't think that Gilly's is sketchy :lol: and my wife got a virus from the MSN homepage, I'm pretty sure. That's why I actually fork over the cash for spy sweeper. I actually have to switch to spy sweeper from spybot now that I'm definitely keeping the netbook.

http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1324

This review makes me happy I'm an Avast follower.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #30: June 15, 2010, 12:07:06 AM »
Any way to get Aero preview on Windows versions that don't run Aero? I've gotten so used to them and every other operating system has them... I actually have to click on iTunes to see what song is playing :(

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #31: June 15, 2010, 11:13:33 AM »

This is an old work laptop they let me take when I was RIF'd 18 months ago.  The McAfee files haven't been updated since, so I'd love to be rid of it all and start fresh.  But.....how can one uninstall McAfee?  Or do I need to?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #32: June 15, 2010, 11:29:48 AM »
This is an old work laptop they let me take when I was RIF'd 18 months ago.  The McAfee files haven't been updated since, so I'd love to be rid of it all and start fresh.  But.....how can one uninstall McAfee?  Or do I need to?

McAfee is slow, it prevents legitimate website connections, sometimes you just cant get online at all because it's firewall is just plain worthless. Multiple virus scanners on 1 machine is a bad idea, especially if you aren't updating one. You should be able to unistall it like any other program (add/remove software in the control panel). It comes with a preinstalled demo version on most new machines and makes them suck right out of the box. The free virus scanners available now are more than adequate - Avast measures up with the big boys, and Chief loves the Microsoft one.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #33: June 15, 2010, 11:33:56 AM »
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1324

This review makes me happy I'm an Avast follower.

Considering that's a review from 8 months ago, I wouldn't trust it.  Then again, I wouldn't trust it anyway.  Anyone who claims the default config deletes things without asking is probably pushing an agenda as I have yet to see any such behavior from MSE myself.  Quarantine by default, perhaps.  MSE also rated as one of the best for low rate of false positives by AV comparatives.

To each their own, but I would always suggest to anyone to try out their options and make their own decision.  "Professional" web reviews are just about as worthless as "professional" reviews in any other form of media these days.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #34: June 15, 2010, 11:56:42 AM »
Considering that's a review from 8 months ago, I wouldn't trust it.  Then again, I wouldn't trust it anyway.  Anyone who claims the default config deletes things without asking is probably pushing an agenda as I have yet to see any such behavior from MSE myself.  Quarantine by default, perhaps.  MSE also rated as one of the best for low rate of false positives by AV comparatives.

To each their own, but I would always suggest to anyone to try out their options and make their own decision.  "Professional" web reviews are just about as worthless as "professional" reviews in any other form of media these days.

Yeah - I just advocate a free antivirus because paying for software is noxious to me. MSE, Avast, whatever. I think AVG i pretty terrible at this point.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #35: June 15, 2010, 12:00:59 PM »
Yeah - I just advocate a free antivirus because paying for software is noxious to me. MSE, Avast, whatever. I think AVG i pretty terrible at this point.

Agreed on that.  And yeah it's really sad what happened to AVG.  It used to be a pretty darn good suite back in the pre-v7 days :(

Speaking of minimum cost, anyone notice that MS launched a new cheaper tier of Technet?  Basically the same as the old cheap version, but $100 cheaper ($249 new, $149 annual renewal) and cuts out "infrastructure" software - I'm assuming server OSes and stuff like that, but you still get Windows, Office, etc.  Pretty solid deal, esp if there are always sales and coupon codes for it like there have been with the $349 version.

Offline PC

« Reply #36: June 15, 2010, 01:19:34 PM »
Don't forget the cloud AV's, Panda and Immunet.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #37: June 15, 2010, 04:56:02 PM »
Agreed on that.  And yeah it's really sad what happened to AVG.  It used to be a pretty darn good suite back in the pre-v7 days :(

Speaking of minimum cost, anyone notice that MS launched a new cheaper tier of Technet?  Basically the same as the old cheap version, but $100 cheaper ($249 new, $149 annual renewal) and cuts out "infrastructure" software - I'm assuming server OSes and stuff like that, but you still get Windows, Office, etc.  Pretty solid deal, esp if there are always sales and coupon codes for it like there have been with the $349 version.
I wonder if I can renew at the $149 price when my sub is up?

Back in my Windows days, I was an AVG evangelist.  Free AV!?  I don't have to pay Norton or McAfee?  Sign me up.

It's the first thing I went to when I installed Windows on my Mac.  But sadly, it is no longer the great free AV it used to be, and there are better alternatives that are free now.

MSE is pretty nice, that's what I use on my Win7 install on my MacBook Pro.  I have to say that Windows 7 really brightened my view on MS.  Vista done right.

I've been getting kind of bummed as I've been getting into PC gaming that I could have 2 Core i7 MSI 17" gaming notebooks for what I paid on my MBP.  The Mac sucks for gaming.  On WoW with most settings on low, if I have on the integrated 9400m, I'll get around 35 FPS in Orgrimmar, and down into the 25 range at a busy time.  With the 9600m GT, I'll get closer to 45 FPS, but the notebook gets retarded hot and sounds like a hairdryer running, so I stay on the integrated card to keep the heat acceptable.

I booted into Windows 7 and installed the WoW client the other day.  Win7 only uses the discrete 9600 card, and in Org I was easily getting 60 FPS on low settings, and sitting comfortably in the 45 FPS range on the Ultra graphics setting, but again, the machine sounds like a hairdryer with the fans on full.

It's great when I'm just browsing the web in OS X, getting a nice 6 hour battery life and cool operation (at least when I'm not on a flash website :evil: ).  But when I want to game, I either have to deal with worrying about overheating or craptastic frame rates.

My sister needs a notebook for college this year, and I've already got the money for an iPad for any mobile internet usage that I only really use the notebook for.  I'm tempted to let her buy my MBP and build me a Core i7 rig for gaming.  I might have to make a WNFF poll ala Jmad to help decide :lol:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #38: June 15, 2010, 06:44:25 PM »

My sister needs a notebook for college this year, and I've already got the money for an iPad for any mobile internet usage that I only really use the notebook for.  I'm tempted to let her buy my MBP and build me a Core i7 rig for gaming.  I might have to make a WNFF poll ala Jmad to help decide :lol:

Why not get a kindle and a netbook for less money? :stir:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #39: June 15, 2010, 06:52:56 PM »
Why not get a kindle and a netbook for less money? :stir:
Because it's not, and that's stupid.  Netbooks are turds.  At least the MSI one I played with was.  The screen was absolutely horrid.  WAY washed out and crappy looking.  I think the iPad and tablet form factor in general is actually very well suited to web browsing and video watching.

No flash is kind of a bummer simply for the video aspect (hulu etc).

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #40: June 15, 2010, 06:54:33 PM »
Because it's not, and that's stupid.  Netbooks are turds.  At least the MSI one I played with was.  The screen was absolutely horrid.  WAY washed out and crappy looking.  I think the iPad and tablet form factor in general is actually very well suited to web browsing and video watching.

No flash is kind of a bummer simply for the video aspect (hulu etc).

My netbook has a LED backlight and has a matte finish and looks 10x better than my Sony notebook that cost 4x as much. You are telling me you can get an iPad for $500?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #41: June 15, 2010, 06:55:11 PM »
My netbook has a LED backlight and has a matte finish and looks 10x better than my Sony notebook that cost 4x as much. You are telling me you can get an iPad for $500?
Umm.  16GB model is $499, yes.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #42: June 15, 2010, 06:57:28 PM »
Umm.  16GB model is $499, yes.

Go for what makes you happy. But I think touchscreens are the devil and I'm positive I'll break the first one I get.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #43: June 15, 2010, 07:01:49 PM »
You can get a Kindle and a Netbook for $500?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #44: June 15, 2010, 07:08:23 PM »
You can get a Kindle and a Netbook for $500?

Kindle is $259. My netbook was $300 at Costco, but you don't need a Samsung. This one is absolutely beautiful.

There was a Sony on sale at the Microsoft store for under $300 but you have to take off the keyboard to upgrade the ram :shock:

Tiger Direct has some craptastic ones for $250 with XP on them.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #45: June 15, 2010, 07:12:53 PM »
Kindle is $259. My netbook was $300 at Costco, but you don't need a Samsung. This one is absolutely beautiful.

There was a Sony on sale at the Microsoft store for under $300 but you have to take off the keyboard to upgrade the ram :shock:

Tiger Direct has some craptastic ones for $250 with XP on them.
But my priorities are a bit different.  If it was ebooks first and portable web browsing second, the Kindle and netbook would make some sense.  But as far as web browsing as the first priority, and maybe perhaps one day ever opening and reading an ebook ever, the iPad makes more sense, at least to me.

If I were down with reading a whole hell of a lot of ebooks, then something like the Kindle is definitely a buy.  Plus, I don't really know how much better e-ink displays are compared to the ips panel on the iPad.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #46: June 15, 2010, 07:16:21 PM »
But my priorities are a bit different.  If it was ebooks first and portable web browsing second, the Kindle and netbook would make some sense.  But as far as web browsing as the first priority, and maybe perhaps one day ever opening and reading an ebook ever, the iPad makes more sense, at least to me.

If I were down with reading a whole hell of a lot of ebooks, then something like the Kindle is definitely a buy.  Plus, I don't really know how much better e-ink displays are compared to the ips panel on the iPad.

I can read eink all day. Although, this LED matte screen is very easy on my eyes also. This is my new working machine, I'm having trouble sitting at a desk for long periods with my back.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #47: June 19, 2010, 12:11:12 PM »

Cygwin update - I have Virtualbox running on my old souped-up laptop, with an ssh server and I got the port opened so not only can I ssh into my guest OS, I can ssh in from other machines on my network as well. So I'm building a mini cluster with all the machines I have lying around and I run all kinds of crap and play music off my other machine and use my netbook like an Xterminal. This pretty much kicks ass and really expands my productivity.

Question - how I do I keep my machines INACESSIBLE from the outside - does the ISP close the SSH port by default? Do I need to go into my router setup? Does windows 7 firewall handle that?

One more problem with windows 7 starter is that you can't move the taskbar :bang:

Also OneNote7 is so useful and totally replaces Acrobat professional just as a side usage.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #48: June 19, 2010, 01:00:45 PM »
One more problem with windows 7 starter is that you can't move the taskbar :bang:

That's got to be wrong.  Unlock it first?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #49: June 19, 2010, 02:34:32 PM »
That's got to be wrong.  Unlock it first?

Haha ok nm.