Author Topic: Microsoft thread  (Read 62173 times)

Offline PC

Re: Microsoft thread
« Reply #725: October 28, 2012, 05:12:08 AM »
Yeah, I'm new to all this stuff. I have a Samsung Tablet that runs Windows 7 plus my laptop is running Windows 7. Is it really worth upgrading at this point?

What Samsung Tablet do you have?

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #726: October 28, 2012, 11:34:42 AM »

Offline PC

« Reply #727: October 30, 2012, 09:04:30 PM »

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #728: October 31, 2012, 09:41:53 AM »
What do you use your tablet for?

A little bit of everything. My wife loves it and it is pretty awesome, but now that we have the laptop, it gets less use. The friend of mine that gave me the tablet told me Windows 8 would really "wake it up" or something to that effect. I guess 8 was designed with tablets in mind. Can you drop a little more knowledge on me?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #729: October 31, 2012, 09:44:57 AM »
can you put windows 8 on an existing tab?

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #730: October 31, 2012, 09:46:29 AM »
This one I believe you can, at least that's what my friend told me and he's a computer engineering student. GI Bill ftw for him anyways.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #731: November 05, 2012, 06:13:17 PM »
I brought a Surface RT home from work with me if anyone has any questions they want answered about it.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #732: November 06, 2012, 10:16:24 AM »
Impressions?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #733: November 06, 2012, 12:10:12 PM »
Some of the gestures for doing things aren't obvious, but seem intuitive once you find them.  The hardware is very nice quality, performance seems solid so far.  I'm not crazy about the attachable keyboard (they got the touch one, not the type one), but the idea of converting the tablet into a laptop is nice.  Haven't tried plugging in a mouse/keyboard yet but I assume it should work fine.

The default metro apps seem nice enough.  There are only about a hundred available apps on the store, but more 3rd party apps than I would have expected this soon.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #734: November 09, 2012, 12:14:23 PM »

Offline PC

« Reply #735: November 09, 2012, 02:49:29 PM »
The default metro apps seem nice enough.  There are only about a hundred available apps on the store, but more 3rd party apps than I would have expected this soon.

Wordament!

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #736: November 09, 2012, 05:04:07 PM »
Surface is $500+?

Offline PC

« Reply #737: November 28, 2012, 12:24:29 PM »

Offline PC

« Reply #738: December 03, 2012, 10:50:39 AM »
Windows 8 Thunders Past Mac OS X on Steam

Even a "failure" like Windows 8 is more popular than Mac OS X

Dec. 3, 2012 10:03am
Paul Thurrott

With all the bad news about Windows 8 these days, this should help put things in perspective: After just four weeks in the market, there are already more people on the popular Steam video game service using Windows 8 than Mac OS X.

Steam has been available on Mac OS X for over two and a half years.

What’s interesting to me is how differently Steam’s Gabe Newell has treated Mac OS X and Windows 8, both of which offered closed app store platforms that ostensibly compete with his own service. Back in 2010, when Valve launched Steam for OS X, Newell noted that Steam was “transitioning from entertainment as a product to entertainment as a service” and that “customers and developers need open, high-quality Internet clients.” But when Microsoft aped Apple’s app store strategy, Newell went apoplectic, describing Windows 8 as a “catastrophe.”

Looks like its OS X that’s the catastrophe, Gabe.

According to Steam’s usage statistics, Windows 8 is already in use by almost 5 percent of Steam users. Mac OS X, meanwhile, despite the two and a half year head start, is in use by only about 3.3 percent of users. (Windows 7 is of course number one with about 77 percent usage.)

Two questions arise from this data. One, why would Steam even bother supporting the Mac, which is clearly even more of an also-ran when it comes to games. Even Linux could garner that kind of usage share. But don’t believe me: Even Steam thinks so, as it’s porting Steam to Linux!

And two, what does all this say about Gabe Newell’s ability to make good decisions? Coupled with Valve’s inability to deliver the long-awaited “Half-Life 2: Episode Three”—or, as we might call it, “the new Duke Nukem Forever”—it’s pretty clear the real problem here isn’t Windows 8. It’s Gabe Newell.

Hey, Gabe. Rather than wasting time and resources on silly dead-ends like Mac OS X and Linux, and on dissing your actual Windows 8-using customers, how about getting back to basics and finishing the job?

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-8-thunders-past-mac-os-x-steam

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #739: December 03, 2012, 12:17:49 PM »
Why would a Mac user buy OSX from Steam?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #740: December 03, 2012, 12:22:58 PM »
What an idiot.  He must be the only person in the world surprised that more people are running a gaming application on windows PCs than os x.

*niccageyadontsay.jpg

Offline PC

« Reply #741: December 20, 2012, 03:52:58 PM »

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #742: December 30, 2012, 10:07:37 PM »
got to try out Windows 8.

I like it.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #743: January 06, 2013, 11:04:30 AM »
Got a Windows phone, the Nokia Lumia 820. So far I like it, but I have 2 weeks to decide if I want to keep it.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #744: January 07, 2013, 07:55:41 PM »
mea culpa.

IE9 really isn't that bad, and is rather cool in certain ways. If it had a real adblock app and a way to use Outlook.com as my default mailto, then I might consider using it as my main browser.

Offline PC

« Reply #745: January 28, 2013, 06:37:52 AM »
If you were planning on updating to Windows 8 (which I strongly recommend) you should do it before February 1 because the price is going to rise, dramatically, on that day.

As you may know, Microsoft has been offering a terrific early adopter rate for Windows 8 Pro Upgrade. But that offer ends January 31. And after that, the price is going up big-time.

Those who purchase the electronic Upgrade version of Windows 8 Pro via windows.com today can save big: The price is just $39.99 in the U.S. (It’s even less at $14.99 if you buy a Windows 7-based PC, courtesy of the Windows Upgrade Offer.)

But starting February 1, this same electronic upgrade will cost $199.99, a massive $160 price increase. So if you’re on the fence, now’s the time to buy.

Microsoft is also going to offer the Upgrade version of Windows 8 (Core) online for the first time starting on February 1. This base version of Windows 8 will cost $119.99.

No “full” version of Windows 8 is available, ostensibly because virtually every single workable PC on the planet qualifies for the upgrade pricing: If your PC originally ran Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, it qualifies.

A few more pricing updates…

The Windows 8 Pro Pack—which can be used to upgrade Windows 8 (Core) to Windows 8 Pro with Windows Media Center—will cost $99.99. This Pack is $69.99 through January 31.

And the Windows Media Center Pack, which requires Windows 8 Pro, will cost $9.99 as previously announced. (It’s currently free.)

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-8-pricing-update

And you can buy now and install later, if you want.  You can install it up through 2015.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #746: January 28, 2013, 08:31:15 AM »
If you were planning on updating to Windows 8 (which I strongly recommend) you should do it before February 1 because the price is going to rise, dramatically, on that day.

And you can buy now and install later, if you want.  You can install it up through 2015.

You may have already stated this, so forgive me if so. But strongly recommend Windows 8? Wtf?

I have always been obsessive adopting the newest Windows. I never even wait for release,  upgrading during beta. I've used every version of windows extensively since inception. The only version I not only did not install the day it was released, but never at all, was ME. Of course that was because of 2000, and the NT OS clearly being more stable at the time.

8 might be great if I had  a touchscreen monitor. As it is now, I dislike even turning my PC on over my Android tablet because of how unfriendly it is with a mouse and keyboard setup. Any interest at all in upgrading, do it before the price skyrockets. But as a longtime Windows fanboy, I wouldn't go so far as to recommend it.

Offline PC

« Reply #747: January 30, 2013, 07:43:36 AM »
You may have already stated this, so forgive me if so. But strongly recommend Windows 8? Wtf?

8 might be great if I had  a touchscreen monitor. As it is now, I dislike even turning my PC on over my Android tablet because of how unfriendly it is with a mouse and keyboard setup. Any interest at all in upgrading, do it before the price skyrockets. But as a longtime Windows fanboy, I wouldn't go so far as to recommend it.

I strongly recommend Windows 8.  I strongly recommend Windows RT.  I strongly recommend Windows Phone 8.

I strongly recommend the Windows 8 family of OSes because they are the best OSes on their respective platforms.

And if the mouse and keyboard are “unfriendly” to use in Windows 8 then you’re using them wrong.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #748: January 30, 2013, 08:46:55 AM »
Windows 7 is better for PCs, let's be honest.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #749: January 30, 2013, 09:20:23 AM »
Windows 7 is better for PCs, let's be honest.

Yep, exactly.

Using them wrong or whatever, nothing can alter the fact that I find 8 to be utter garbage on a PC compared to prior releases. You, PC, may love it and with good reason. I don't, it doesn't serve what I use a PC for, and I just plain don't like it. If I want to use a tablet, I use a tablet. If I need a PC nowadays, it's to do something I can't do as well or at all on a tablet. So trying to turn my desktop OS into more of a tablet UI/design... Kind of defeats the purpose. 8 has a ton of advantages and a lot of people love it. It isn't unstable horrific trash like ME, only not as ideal as 7/Vista for my usage.