Author Topic: Microsoft thread  (Read 25772 times)

Online Minty Fresh

• Let's Do This
Re: Microsoft thread
« Reply #100: November 08, 2010, 09:22:14 AM »
I am an idiot when it comes to technology (o.k., actually I'm an idiot when it comes to a lot of things, but this is a tech question).

I have an old gateway laptop computer that I want to give to my seven year old son.  He has recently discovered the internet and likes to visit some kids' gaming sites like Disney.com and Lego.com.  It's a really old laptop (I believe we purchased it in 2001 when we started graduate school) and runs currently on Windows XP.  This is also a laptop that was primarily used by my wife whose favorite hobby is downloading viruses and tracking software/adware.  Anyway, we decomissioned the laptop and installed some kids games on there for educational purposes (I Spy, Puzzles, Brainiac, etc.) just so we could have something for the kids to play with and learn at the same time.

Well, as I said, my son recently discovered the internet while at school and has been using my desktop to play his online stuff but essentially what this boils down to that I do not want him playing around on my PC (my wife killed my last desktop PC so I am very protective of it). 

We'd like to get this old laptop up and running for my son but we don't want to break the bank over it.  As I said, it runs on Windows XP and we have the fomatting CD for it.

My questions are:

1.  Is it reasonable to think we can get this laptop up and running just to allow him limited access to the internet?

2.  Will I have to purchase any updated hardware/software?

3.  How do I figure out if the sites he visits are compatible with this older software?

I know this is a tl;dr but again, I'm a technological idot so I really don't know much about what I'm talking about (as usual).  I can try to answer any questions to the best of my ability if it leads to help figuring this out....