Author Topic: 2010 MLB Draft Gameday Thread  (Read 16370 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Re: 2010 MLB Draft Gameday Thread
« Reply #25: June 07, 2010, 12:22:34 PM »
Instant cash influx. Remember?

In a league like the NFL where every team makes money and there is a tight cap, I like to think that wasn't the case. Bush may go down a a pretty big bust too, especially if he gets released this offseason

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #26: June 07, 2010, 12:28:08 PM »
In a league like the NFL where every team makes money and there is a tight cap, I like to think that wasn't the case. Bush may go down a a pretty big bust too, especially if he gets released this offseason

Moichandising.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #27: June 07, 2010, 12:39:18 PM »
Do JUCO's test for steroids? I'm certainly not saying that I think Harper is on them... I'd just hate for a nasty surprise once he starts getting tested in the minors.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #28: June 07, 2010, 12:42:45 PM »
Apparently we drafted Bryce's brother in 2008 but didn't sign him. His numbers for CSN:

10-1 (10 starts, 15 appearances)
57.2 IP
2.18 ERA
88 K
22 BB
.194 BAA

Worth a shot, no? Could be nice to have his brother around as they go through the minors, not to mention an awesome story when they make the majors.

I'd rather get Harper away from his safety blanket and let him learn the lessons that all minor leaguers have to learn.

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #29: June 07, 2010, 12:44:18 PM »
There really is no way to guess who is going to be there at #51. After the first three guys (Harper, Taillon & Machado), there really is no rhyme/reason for the next 30-40 guys. One team could see Zach Cox as a #4 overall guy while another team (equally reasonably) could view him as #18

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #30: June 07, 2010, 12:55:17 PM »
Jameson Taillon, please honor your verbal commitment to attend Rice. Rice is a far, far better baseball team than the Baltimore Orioles.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #31: June 07, 2010, 12:57:22 PM »
"I have always had a twinkle in my eye for Rice. Rice University is 45 minutes from my house, they have a great baseball program with a winning tradition, first class coaches, facilities that are second to none, and incredible academics.... I got a lot of letters and invitations to attend practices and games from schools like Texas, North Carolina, Vanderbilt and LSU. However, there was no doubt in my mind I wanted to be a Rice Owl."
- Jameson Taillon

Try imagining somebody saying that about the Baltimore Orioles.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #32: June 07, 2010, 01:21:40 PM »
There really is no way to guess who is going to be there at #51. After the first three guys (Harper, Taillon & Machado), there really is no rhyme/reason for the next 30-40 guys. One team could see Zach Cox as a #4 overall guy while another team (equally reasonably) could view him as #18
Tonight it is just picks ##1-50, i believe. That's good for the Nats because they will be able to evaluate the day before and think abou the names left on the board.  We'll also get an extra day of National media speculating about that while waiting on Rosh HaStrasburg.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #33: June 07, 2010, 01:33:06 PM »
"I have always had a twinkle in my eye for Rice. Rice University is 45 minutes from my house, they have a great baseball program with a winning tradition, first class coaches, facilities that are second to none, and incredible academics.... I got a lot of letters and invitations to attend practices and games from schools like Texas, North Carolina, Vanderbilt and LSU. However, there was no doubt in my mind I wanted to be a Rice Owl."
- Jameson Taillon

Sure but could you really see yourself turning down #2 pick slot money?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #34: June 07, 2010, 01:34:32 PM »
You dream-shatterer, you!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #35: June 07, 2010, 01:39:21 PM »

Not necessarily.  Maybe Angelos tries to lowball him ;)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #36: June 07, 2010, 01:42:12 PM »

A SHATTERED DREAMS PRODUCTION

Offline blue911

« Reply #37: June 07, 2010, 01:48:43 PM »
A SHATTERED DREAMS PRODUCTION

(Image removed from quote.)

Is that Bryce Harper's Mom?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #38: June 07, 2010, 02:10:17 PM »
Nope, he's the son of a son of a plumber.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #39: June 07, 2010, 02:28:27 PM »
The draft is kind of boring with the number 1 pick.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #40: June 07, 2010, 02:49:36 PM »
The draft is kind of boring with the number 1 pick.

Yeah, tonight we get Bryce Harper and then wait until tomorrow.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #41: June 07, 2010, 02:51:28 PM »
- Jameson Taillon

Jameson, go be a kid, be a college star, learn some thing in your classes, stay 4 years and enjoy a wet campus, and then come to DC due to signability concerns.

Offline Skinz72

• Say hello to the DL-inator!!
« Reply #42: June 07, 2010, 02:53:05 PM »
Do JUCO's test for steroids? I'm certainly not saying that I think Harper is on them... I'd just hate for a nasty surprise once he starts getting tested in the minors.
His offensive numbers are so ridiculous... I can't but help think of the same thing, but no one is talking about it or even mentioning it.  Could he really be that dumb and expect no one will catch him in the pros (if he is doping)?  HS and colleges don't test for drugs the same way that the pros do - I think there are legal and privacy issues that protect younger athletes.  He's in for a shocker when he hits the pros and experiences all the random testing they do.  They are agressive, and they will probably catch you IF you're doping.  Ask Edgardo Baez, Neifi Perez, Jose Guillen, JC Romero, Manny Ramirez etc... 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #43: June 07, 2010, 03:24:18 PM »
Yeah, tonight we get Bryce Harper and then wait until tomorrow.

or break out the torches and pitchforks

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #44: June 07, 2010, 03:25:55 PM »
His offensive numbers are so ridiculous... I can't but help think of the same thing, but no one is talking about it or even mentioning it.  Could he really be that dumb and expect no one will catch him in the pros (if he is doping)?  HS and colleges don't test for drugs the same way that the pros do - I think there are legal and privacy issues that protect younger athletes.  He's in for a shocker when he hits the pros and experiences all the random testing they do.  They are agressive, and they will probably catch you IF you're doping.  Ask Edgardo Baez, Neifi Perez, Jose Guillen, JC Romero, Manny Ramirez etc... 

If was smart and just wanted to game it out (morality aside), he could dope through Highschool and JC and then quit. If he held off signing he would be clean by then and if he sucks or is average as a pro, he still has his $10 million in the bank.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #45: June 07, 2010, 04:38:27 PM »
I'd like to throw out a name for our second round pick if he's still there; Arkansas Junior RHP/OF Brett Eibner. Originally a 4th round pick for the Astros, he decided to come to Arkansas so he could show off as a hitter. He fits an immediate need for the Nationals as a guy who is a stud hitting prospect or as another big pitching prospect. He was almost assured to be drafted as a pitcher before just exploding this year as a hitter and defensive outfielder. He's hitting .338 with 21 HRs(in a big park). He strikes out a bit much with 51, but also had 38 walks. Most of those K's come from swinging for the fences, but all year he was a guy you knew could draw a BB in a clutch situation. He played in the Cape Cod League last summer, a wood bat league, and I think even competed in the Home Run Derby at Fenway. His true gift is as a defensive OF. He was a + glove in CF who can play either corner spot as well as filling in at 1B in a pinch

If he were to come to the Nationals and stuggle at the plate in the minors, we could always reboot him as a pitcher. Even though he basically spent no time working at it compared to the hitting, he spent a lot of time hovering around as our Saturday/Sunday starter and was toyed around a bit as a possible closer at the end of the year. His fastball usually is around 96 MPH.

Iconic 2 Out, 2 Run Game Tying HR in the CWS against UVA = ,

Pitching =

Who are some player you all would like us to look at in the second round?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #46: June 07, 2010, 04:41:30 PM »
Awesome post, Smithian. I wonder where he will end up.

<--- personal text updated

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #47: June 07, 2010, 04:44:14 PM »
Tomorrow will be much more exciting, and I believe it is during the day so it can keep me occuppied at work.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #48: June 07, 2010, 04:47:08 PM »
Baseball America calls Brett Eibner the No 23 talent and a borderline first-round pick, so we might be lucky if he makes it into the 50s.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #49: June 07, 2010, 05:14:54 PM »
Okay, this Andrelton Simmons guy is kind of interesting. 98 mph relief pitcher - and "the best defensive shortstop in the draft." (John Manuel, SI.com) Could help Riggleman pull triple-switches.