Author Topic: Storen to be promoted, Bruney DFA'd  (Read 1163 times)

Offline PC

Re: Storen to be promoted, Bruney DFA'd
« Reply #25: May 16, 2010, 08:10:12 PM »
Storen will likely become a Super Two player and reach arbitration and free agency a year early.

I go back to my point from yesterday, Super Two only matters if he doesn't get sent back down.  Even if a player has a lot of talent, like Storen (and Strausburg, for that matter), you can't assume they're going to stick, permanently.

It's far more likely that it won't happen, for both of them.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #26: May 16, 2010, 08:14:34 PM »
Huh?  He shouldn't reach FA a year early, only arbitration.

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #27: May 16, 2010, 11:11:10 PM »
My guess if the Nationals release Bruney;  Mets sign him.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #28: May 16, 2010, 11:18:03 PM »
My guess if the Nationals release Bruney;  Mets sign him.

god willing.

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #29: May 16, 2010, 11:22:01 PM »
OK SO AS YOU CAN IMAGINE I'M RLY EXCITED.

Just to rehash on this, Drew Storen was my absolute favorite college pitcher. I followed his Stanford career rlllyyyy closely and saw him live tons of times in the Cape Cod League (where I met him in person and all that shtuff). When he was drafted by the Nats I flipped my lid as some may remember, soooo excited. Now he's gettin called up it is AWEOMS!E!

YES

ROARIN STOREN

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #30: May 17, 2010, 12:02:30 AM »
I think people shouldn't have high expectations for Storen right out the gate.

He hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in AAA.

1.23 WHIP, 6 appearances for 7.1 IP, 1 ER, 4/2 K/BB, 1 hit in last 3 appearances.  Nothing to sneeze at.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #31: May 17, 2010, 09:29:36 AM »
I've got to tip my cap to Rizzo, it's really nice to have a competent GM. It seems like he's been making a lot of the right moves and has been following the team going to almost every game so far this year. I know he gets his praise around here but it's nice to see what a real GM and manager can do for a team.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #32: May 20, 2010, 09:02:21 PM »
Kahrl on the transaction:

Designated RHP Brian Bruney for assignment; purchased the contract of RHP Drew Storen fro Syracuse (Triple-A). [5/17]

Bruney's fate should be taken as a collective warning to all of the time-servers on the roster: these may be "just" the Nationals, but performance matters, and talent is on the way, talent that goes beyond just Stephen Strasburg's inevitably boxing out a rotation regular to be named later. Take the Strasburg situation: it won't be Luis Atilano if he keeps delivering, so Craig Stammen and maybe even John Lannan might have to start thinking in terms of what they'll need to do to keep their jobs, as opposed to merely being tasked with them. Ian Desmond's pushing his way into the infield was another example, and Roger Bernadina's making his case as well. The Nats aren't going to sit still. Credit Mike Rizzo, credit Jim Riggleman, or just generally credit an organization busily addressing problems as they arrive and fixing them as they can. The Marlins may have company when it comes to being unpleasant spoilers all season long.

So, enter Storen, something of a known quantity, a pre-season four-star prospect earning his place after blowing through both Double- and Triple-A. There's no arguing with the results or the ability from last summer's first-rounder out of Stanford: 15 strikeouts against just three walks in 16 2/3 IP, heat that gets into the mid 90s, quality off-speed offerings, and college polish. I worry less about reliever's repetitions than those at any other position; an accelerated timetable up to a role where he may not see the same batters for weeks at a time depends as much on scouting as performance evaluation. Adding him to a pen that has Matt Capps healthy and logging saves, Tyler Clippard vulturing wins with an especially sharp beak, and an employable pair of lefty options in Sean Burnett and Doug Slaten, and suddenly you've got a relief corps that's no joke to go up against.

As part of a relentlessly self-improving Nats team, it fits right into what's becoming an operating philosophy. Who needs to wait on Strasburg? This team's fun to follow right now.