Author Topic: Report says Indians most hated team, Nats 6th  (Read 1797 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Report says Indians most hated team, Nats 6th
« Topic Start: April 29, 2010, 10:33:04 AM »
Huh?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5146663&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

With 27 World Series championships, baseball's highest payroll and some of the most boastful fans in sports, the New York Yankees  have to be the team other baseball fans love to hate, right? Wrong.

According to a formula created by The Neilsen Company, there are four teams more detested than the Bronx Bombers, The Wall Street Journal reported.

cont...

Of course the Nats had to be on the list, too (#6) :?

Re: Report says Indians most hated team
« Reply #1: April 29, 2010, 10:43:39 AM »
http://sports.espn

I got this far before I pushed the bullcrap button.

God forbid anyone speaks against the meal ticket Yanks. :roll: I just can't see it as feasibly possible. I will confess, talking to a few people who worked the minor leagues and one friend of mine who once worked in the Indians minor league system, they are notorious for having a horrid front office.

But for a nationwide overall hatred? Easily the Yanks or Red Sox.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2: April 29, 2010, 10:56:57 AM »
My personal list...

1. Cardinals
2. Phillies
3. Yankees
4. Nobody else

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #3: April 29, 2010, 11:00:13 AM »

God forbid anyone speaks against the meal ticket Yanks. :roll: I just can't see it as feasibly possible. I will confess, talking to a few people who worked the minor leagues and one friend of mine who once worked in the Indians minor league system, they are notorious for having a horrid front office.

It was actually a Wall Street Journal report and ESPN picked it up.  My question is, is there a team that both the NYY and Bos fan bases hate? 

Offline bklynnats

« Reply #4: April 29, 2010, 11:02:09 AM »
I'm confused. Is this most hated team by other teams' fans? Or most hated team by their own fans? The Indians comment about "alienating their fans" makes it sounds more like this is about teams that frustrate their own fanbase. So having the Indians, Reds, etc on there would make sense.

But if it's about other teams' fans hating the team? ... The Indians, really? The Reds?

ESPN  :roll:

Online blue911

« Reply #5: April 29, 2010, 11:13:21 AM »
It was actually a Wall Street Journal report and ESPN picked it up. My question is, is there a team that both the NYY and Bos fan bases hate? 

The Mets

« Reply #6: April 29, 2010, 11:24:54 AM »
It was actually a Wall Street Journal report and ESPN picked it up.  My question is, is there a team that both the NYY and Bos fan bases hate? 

I know the Journal did it, but even still, this article is a pile of steaming crap. They are vague on what they are judging teams by (numbers on "Sentiment Rankings"? WTF?) and any baseball fan who doesn't have his tongue up the ass of the numbers people knows this just isn't the truth. Easily, the most hated teams have to be:

1.) Yanks
2.) Red Sox
3.) Phillies
4.) Mets
5.) Cubs

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #7: April 29, 2010, 11:27:37 AM »
It is a bizzare ranking for sure.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #8: April 29, 2010, 11:29:09 AM »
I'm guessing their 'formula' was just looking at negative internet searches.

A lot of people probably find the Indians name, and its logo offensive... thus their crack team must of thought that meant people hated them.

I'm positive that the Indians are not the most hated team in baseball... the most apathetic fanbase, maybe... but certainly not the most hated.

« Reply #9: April 29, 2010, 11:33:18 AM »
I'm pretty sure ESPN even knows this. Hence, protecting the Yanks and their meal ticket by spreading ridiculous articles like this one.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #10: April 29, 2010, 11:44:11 AM »
My personal list...

1. Cardinals
2. Phillies
3. Yankees
4. Nobody else

Mine:

1. Yankees
2. Phillies
3. Cubs
4. Red Sox
5. Marlins

Then it kinda depends on who plays for which teams.  I'll always hate those four teams, though, and the order will often change depending on who's better at the time.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #11: April 29, 2010, 11:52:27 AM »
1.  (anything) Philadelphia

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #12: April 29, 2010, 01:06:02 PM »
Mine is simple

1. Os
2. Phillies
3. Mets
4. Yankees
5. Braves/Marlins

How do you hate the Indians? They havn't been bad enough to deserve scorn, they aren't the biggest spenders or the cheapest team, they haven't exactly dashed other fan base's hopes recently- they are a pretty middle of the road team

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #13: April 29, 2010, 01:13:10 PM »
I'm guessing their 'formula' was just looking at negative internet searches.

Yeah, they did something like that, so you're right.

The Nationals probably get #6 because of GMUNat, me, ASSCLOWN, and Hammonds.

If your own fanbase bashes you, it'll make you much higher on this list.

« Reply #14: April 29, 2010, 01:29:47 PM »
If your own fanbase bashes you, it'll make you much higher on this list.

If this were true, then the O's should be up there (how many teams have their fans plan walk-outs?) and the Giants shouldn't be "likeable" due to years of abuse by Balco Bonds.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #15: April 29, 2010, 01:30:19 PM »
Red Sox and Phillies are the top two.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #16: April 29, 2010, 01:30:54 PM »

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #17: April 29, 2010, 01:36:54 PM »
The formula helps determine whether consumers have positive, negative or neutral reactions to brands in their online messages.

Actually, the top 5 makes some sense, after this quote.  I'd imagine the logo of the Indians turns off a lot people and they have gone through a down cycle so do not have the home support.  The relative rank of the Red Sox (2) and NYY (5) probably reflects that anyone who is a Yankee fan hates the Red Sox, and NY > Boston.  Add that to the sentiment many people feel about the force feeding, I'm sure they tick off a lot of fans of other teams.  Cinci?  Three words - Marge Schott Memories.  Houston?  Archetype of Texas.  And the Washington team?  Incompetence in basebal in a muni reviled for other reasons.  You betcha.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #18: April 29, 2010, 01:40:03 PM »

Dude, you realize the Red Sox  were #2 on the list?  IOW, within a place of where you would have put them? 

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #19: April 29, 2010, 01:46:09 PM »
Well said!

And the Washington team?  Incompetence in basebal in a muni reviled for other reasons.  You betcha.

« Reply #20: April 29, 2010, 02:01:56 PM »
Dude, you realize the Red Sox  were #2 on the list?  IOW, within a place of where you would have put them? 

Thank you, Captain Obvious. You saved the day.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #21: April 29, 2010, 02:12:32 PM »
But this is an algorithm (whatever the hell that is) that measures commentary on the internet.  Thus, teams whose fans have an active presence on the net and an active group of bellicose malcontents will automatically get lower scores.  Also, teams that have "stuff" that stands out in the media that are controversial will score higher on this "hated" concept.  The White Sox have Ozzie Guillen -- loved or hated, he generates a lot of commentary, a lot of it critical.  Even devoted White Sox fans think he's nuts, and will say so.  I imagine that plays a major role in putting them in the top 10. 

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
It seems like a crazy listing, but given the scale of -5 to +5, it would make sense that it combines like and dislike together for the final score. Given that the Nats likely score at the bottom of the like category due to sheer apathy, they were destined to come out looking unliked.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
I'm pretty sure ESPN even knows this. Hence, protecting the Yanks and their meal ticket by spreading ridiculous articles like this one.

What team is ESPN's biggest meal ticket, NY or Boston? I used to think it was NY hands down but I see more and more Boston coverage to where I see it more as a tie.

What team is ESPN's biggest meal ticket, NY or Boston? I used to think it was NY hands down but I see more and more Boston coverage to where I see it more as a tie.

New York, hands down. NY has the money, the PR and the baseball history behind it, much stronger than Boston's IMO. But like you sort of said, it fluctuates. When the Red Sox finally went back to the Series and started their little run, Boston overtook the Yanks. Then it sort of balanced and now it looks like it might swing NY again.