Author Topic: first time at College. at 30. random musings.  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
If you go to class stoned a lot, you really need to take the exams stoned.  State-dependent memory, I suppose. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
It works, I used to study for exams by rewriting and organizing my notes

Oh, I know.  I'm just reiterating what some traditional freshmen would say to me (and yankin' Mathguy's chain).

Offline JMUalumni

If you go to class stoned a lot, you really need to take the exams stoned.  State-dependent memory, I suppose. 

"study high, take the test high, get high scores!"

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I just finished my freshman year here at the UofA. My greatest memory will be every single Arkansas basketball game I was on front row and shown on ESPN and Jimmy Dykes almost every time during the broadcast would laugh about "those kids over there" and my hat in particular. You meet a lot of neat people up there, like Will Perdue, who apparently gets mad at the question, "Is Michael Jordan a nice guy?"

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Do you guys remember when Will Perdue had his own soup?

I bought it, and enjoyed it.

Offline nats2playoffs

Years ago, the average age of a student at Northern Virginia Community College was 31.

A lot of people attend at night, or pursue a new trade.  I have a relative who returned to college after a job layoff, to finish the 4th year... finally graduated at the age of 55.

You could actually get up at George Mason University's graduation ceremony:

1) Have them ANNOUNCE your name,
2) They hand you a replica diploma...
3) They take your photo
4) Without ever having attended a class there!

:rofl:

Offline saltydad

Another thing I found extremely helpful were study groups. If you can put together a solid group of 4-6 people to help each other digest the workload it can be great. Helps with note-sharing and getting through a lot of information in a timely manner.
What helped me the most was copying my notes over into a notebook with a table of contents.  The redone notes were organized and I could better remember what was taught.

Both of these are spot on. Follow them and you'll be graduating before you know it. BTW, I was in my mid-50's when I went back for my RN. Pops and Gramps were the nice nicknames I had. You're doing the right thing for you and your kid. Keep telling yourself that when you're up at 3 AM finishing a paper.