Author Topic: Nationals vs Rockies, Game 4  (Read 22996 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Nationals vs Rockies, Game 4
« Reply #75: April 22, 2010, 02:46:34 PM »
He isn't hurting the team at all RIGHT NOW.

Ever heard the expression "we'll cross that bridge when we get to it?"

Fin.

I believe that you believe Riggleman won't bench him.  You may be right.  I'll even concede that you probably are.  That's not the point.  I just don't understand why you guys break out the drama every time he's in the lineup.  Everyone knows how you feel about it by now.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #76: April 22, 2010, 02:52:07 PM »
Fin.

I believe that you believe Riggleman won't bench him.  You may be right.  I'll even concede that you probably are.  That's not the point.  I just don't understand why you guys break out the drama every time he's in the lineup.  Everyone knows how you feel about it by now.

The problem is that Desmond was "allegedly" awarded the job. He got the job not because he is younger, but because he is better than Guzman. You can't bench him every other day for a guy he beat out. Plus not even factoring that Desmond is young and needs the development. Play him everyday and platoon Guzman/Kennedy. That way everyone wins. The fans win. Riggleman wins because he can still worship the veterans.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #77: April 22, 2010, 02:53:56 PM »
Have you ever heard of starting Pete Orr because you respect veterans?

Call me loopy, call me whatever... but I'm sticking to my guns on this one. Riggs will not stop playing Guzman or Taveras, or any other veteran that hasn't done anything in years because he respects them.

Rizzo will have to forcefully remove them from the roster for anything to happen.

And replace them with who though?  Guzman is a solid utility player.  His range isn't great, but his average is pretty strong and at least he can play a few positions and give us somewhat of a glove.

I agree Taveras isn't good, but who else are we going to plug out there?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #78: April 22, 2010, 02:59:48 PM »
The problem is that Desmond was "allegedly" awarded the job. He got the job not because he is younger, but because he is better than Guzman. You can't bench him every other day for a guy he beat out. Plus not even factoring that Desmond is young and needs the development. Play him everyday and platoon Guzman/Kennedy. That way everyone wins. The fans win. Riggleman wins because he can still worship the veterans.

Hasn't Desmond played in every game this season? I think he has. He'll end up with 520+ PA (more if he does well) and plenty of time in the field. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #79: April 22, 2010, 03:01:50 PM »
Willie Harris batting third? I understand his line vs Ubaldo is nice but third? With the lack of Willingham and Zimm this is when Id LIKE to see Guz batting third.
Would have liked to have seen Willie and Guz switched in the order.  Willie's patience would allow Morgan to run, and Guz's contact skills would be better used with a man in scoring position.  Also, 3d is less important than 2d in the order in geekdom.

Offline Neuman

• Washington Nationals Examiner
« Reply #80: April 22, 2010, 03:01:56 PM »
Willie Harris batting third? I understand his line vs Ubaldo is nice but third? With the lack of Willingham and Zimm this is when Id LIKE to see Guz batting third.

I agree, Harris hits Jimenez well b/c he sees good pitches when he is buried at 7th or 8th.  Livo is going to need to pitch well....

Offline Neuman

« Reply #81: April 22, 2010, 03:02:29 PM »
Here is a preview of "the Heat vs the Meat."

http://tinyurl.com/23dwx77

Offline Neuman

« Reply #82: April 22, 2010, 03:03:19 PM »
Random note - I was wrong, I thought Martin or Mock might get the call in Marquis' spot.  did you see Atilano is going to get called up and pitch friday??

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #83: April 22, 2010, 03:05:45 PM »
But, what's to support he's even capable of that?

Since he got lasik, his line is .302 with a .328 OBP.
Linty - throw out July-September of last year when he played with his bunion problems.  He even started hot last year.  I think Guz's true talent, post lasik and healthy, is closer to his 2007, 2008, and first couple of months on 2009 than it is to his averages when you lump in whole year 2009.  But that is nothing more than a hunch.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #84: April 22, 2010, 03:09:58 PM »
What was the stat yesterday, he'd started in 11 of 14 games and appeared in all of them.  Well, he appeared in yesterdays too and now he's starting today so that makes 12 of 16 games.  That looks like he's won the job to me. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #85: April 22, 2010, 03:10:30 PM »
Random note - I was wrong, I thought Martin or Mock might get the call in Marquis' spot.  did you see Atilano is going to get called up and pitch friday??
Yes.

Offline Neuman

« Reply #86: April 22, 2010, 03:10:41 PM »
Holy crap - does anyone else see what is happening in Pittsburgh?  Brewers are up 16-0 on Bucs.  Joel Hanrahan has allowed 6 runs in 1/3 of inning.  That trade keeps looking better and better...

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #87: April 22, 2010, 03:12:03 PM »
Joel Hanrahan has allowed 6 runs in 1/3 of inning.  That trade keeps looking better and better...

Anyone remember that Pirates guy that signed up here and started talking trash about how they fleeced us? :lol:

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #88: April 22, 2010, 03:14:39 PM »
Holy crap - does anyone else see what is happening in Pittsburgh?  Brewers are up 16-0 on Bucs.  Joel Hanrahan has allowed 6 runs in 1/3 of inning.  That trade keeps looking better and better...
Brewers have beat the Bucs 8-1 and 8-0 in the two games prior.

Online blue911

« Reply #89: April 22, 2010, 03:16:41 PM »

Every time Morgan step on the field, the trade looks better and better.

« Reply #90: April 22, 2010, 03:17:43 PM »
Anyone remember that Pirates guy that signed up here and started talking trash about how they fleeced us? :lol:

Pirate fans know how to use the Internet?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #91: April 22, 2010, 03:30:43 PM »
I was trying to do some research on James Taillon a month or two back and ended up on a Pittsburgh forum somehow. They had some really interesting threads about the draft.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #92: April 22, 2010, 03:31:27 PM »
Holy crap - does anyone else see what is happening in Pittsburgh?  Brewers are up 16-0

That's 'cause Ben's suspended.   Oooops, sorry.   Wrong season/board.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #93: April 22, 2010, 03:32:14 PM »
I think we should just play Desmond SS, Kennedy 2B and Guzman RF with Maxwell and Willie Harris playing every other day. Willie vs Righty, Maxwell vs Lefty but Guzman the usual starter.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #94: April 22, 2010, 03:36:26 PM »
I think we should just play Desmond SS, Kennedy 2B and Guzman RF with Maxwell and Willie Harris playing every other day. Willie vs Righty, Maxwell vs Lefty but Guzman the usual starter.

Guzman's a switch hitter. Give him a trial by fire and run him out every day.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #95: April 22, 2010, 03:38:09 PM »
Guzman's a switch hitter. Give him a trial by fire and run him out every day.

I know I was just stating that if Riggleman likes the whole 'make everyone happy' thing than every other day sit Guz or move him to second and allow Willie and Maxwell time. With the way Guz has been hitting, though, its nice to slot him in the 7-8-2 hole.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #96: April 22, 2010, 03:39:21 PM »
I know I was just stating that if Riggleman likes the whole 'make everyone happy' thing than every other day sit Guz or move him to second and allow Willie and Maxwell time. With the way Guz has been hitting, though, its nice to slot him in the 7-8-2 hole.

I like it, but Willie has earned the time, and Maxwell really hasn't. And I like Willie as a super-sub better than Guzman, although Guzman has really gotten the hang of it. So I have no idea what I'm trying to say.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #97: April 22, 2010, 03:43:11 PM »
joeLOL HAHAnraHAHAn

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #98: April 22, 2010, 03:49:45 PM »
This is just the second time in the last 100 years that there's been a matchup between a guy who just threw a no-hitter and a guy who just threw a shutout. After Al Leiter's no-hitter he faced a guy who had just thrown a two-hitter. That's it.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #99: April 22, 2010, 03:50:49 PM »
This is just the second time in the last 100 years that there's been a matchup between a guy who just threw a no-hitter and a guy who just threw a shutout. After Al Leiter's no-hitter he faced a guy who had just thrown a two-hitter. That's it.

Where'd you find that stat?