Author Topic: Nationals @ Mets, Game 2  (Read 19980 times)

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
Nationals @ Mets, Game 2
« Topic Start: April 10, 2010, 09:35:05 AM »

Morgan-8
Guzman-4
Zimmerman-5
Dunn-3
Willingham-7
Desmond-6
Rodriguez-2
Taveras-9
Lannan-1

Offline blue911

Re: Nationals @ Mets, Game 2
« Reply #1: April 10, 2010, 09:35:46 AM »
Are you going to any of the games this weekend?

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #2: April 10, 2010, 09:54:45 AM »
Yep I'm actually leaving for today's game in an hour. Gonna be sportin my J-Lan jersey!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #3: April 10, 2010, 10:00:43 AM »
Since last night's gameday thread is locked, this is what mock/mccatty had to say about yesterday's performance (spoiler alert: surprise surprise mock makes another excuse):

Mock's truncated start may have been the most exasperating yet. He spoke often this spring of his plan to become more aggressive. Last year, only eight pitchers who threw as many pitches as Mock needed more pitches per inning, and Mock recorded an out in the seventh inning in only one of his 15 starts. He identified inefficiency as the thing holding him back, and he was going to eliminate it.
ad_icon

On Friday, his first inning dragged for 17 minutes. Mock needed 29 pitches, only 14 of which were strikes. The defining at-bat came with two outs against David Wright, whom Mock started with two strikes. It was these precise situations in which Mock wanted to show off his newfound mentality. Any pitch could end the inning. Instead, he walked Wright, the final ball a fastball in the dirt, and used 15 more pitches before escaping.

Mock felt he had followed through on his pledge, but the conditions disallowed proper results. Stiff winds blew out to left field, so strong they even affected the pitches as they zipped from rubber to plate. Mock licked his fingers and moistened his hands, trying to find any way to gain traction with the ball.

"I'm not going to sit there and say it's the baseball's fault," Mock said. "But, I mean, I just couldn't really get a grip on it."

After one inning, Mock came into the dugout and talked to pitching coach Steve McCatty. "My hands are dry," Mock said.

"Hey," McCatty told him, "You've got to find a way."

"I'm not knocking him," McCatty said. "But you have to find a way to get through situations. Batista did fine. [Mets starter Mike] Pelfrey, he did fine. I don't like hearing stuff like that, because it makes it sound like an excuse. You're in the big leagues. You've got to find a way. It's not going to be perfect. It's not going to be 85 degrees every day and the wind is blowing in. You find a way to deal with situations."

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #4: April 10, 2010, 10:01:41 AM »
Mock sux.

Offline blue911

« Reply #5: April 10, 2010, 10:03:58 AM »
McCatty just called Mock a wussy.

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #6: April 10, 2010, 10:10:51 AM »
Graphic added.

« Reply #7: April 10, 2010, 10:21:15 AM »
Since last night's gameday thread is locked, this is what mock/mccatty had to say about yesterday's performance (spoiler alert: surprise surprise mock makes another excuse):

He blamed the wind in the Nationals.com recap. Blaming the wind is called "Pulling a Wil Nieves" considering the first excuse of the year was blamed on the wind by Nieves.

Blogging on last night's game now. From what I remember from it--

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #8: April 10, 2010, 10:41:10 AM »
Win. 2 dorkiest pitcher pictures EVAR.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #9: April 10, 2010, 10:51:30 AM »
If Mock doesn't shut up and throw strikes he'll be sent back to NY and learn how to throw a ball when it's a little chilly.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #10: April 10, 2010, 11:16:32 AM »

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #11: April 10, 2010, 11:51:20 AM »
Nationals
1. Nyjer Morgan, CF
2. Cristian Guzman, 2B
3. Ryan Zimmerman, 3B
4. Adam Dunn, 1B
5. Josh Willingham, LF
6. Ian Desmond, SS
7. Ivan Rodriguez, C
8. Willy Taveras, RF
9. John Lannan, SP

Mets
1. Jose Reyes, SS
2. Alex Cora, 2B
3. David Wright, 3B
4. Jason Bay, LF
5. Jeff Francoeur, RF
6. Gary Matthews Jr., CF
7. Fernando Tatis, 1B
8. Henry Blanco, C
9. Oliver Perez, SP

« Reply #12: April 10, 2010, 12:05:19 PM »
That line-up doesn't get any easier than last night and the Nats absolutely blew it. Debating on whether or not to listen to the game or go kill a chicken.

EDIT: I'm going to predict that John Lannan rebounds today but the offense still hasn't given in to peer pressure and injected each other in the ass with HGH therefore are going to leave Lannan hanging. I shall pray for Lannan.

Offline blue911

« Reply #13: April 10, 2010, 12:09:06 PM »
That line-up doesn't get any easier than last night and the Nats absolutely blew it. Debating on whether or not to listen to the game or go kill a chicken.

Listen to the game, you can choke the chicken later.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #14: April 10, 2010, 12:38:56 PM »
McCatty just called Mock a wussy.

I love McCatty's attitude. Mock and the other pitchers deserve to have him get in their faces about this crap. The one problem I have with McCatty is that he is still the pitching coach. Why pay a guy to do that job if they simply do no more than we can do in the stands by saying, "man up and throw strikes." Beyond the ass chewing, how about an actual suggestion about what to adjust? Did he bother to go through the pitch selection and get him to simplify an approach? Did he make a suggestion from his own experiences about what to do to deal with the elements? Or is McCatty the Lenny Harris of pitching coaches?

In another quote, McCatty said that other than SS, Mock has the best stuff. Seems like he had all Spring to actually harness that. But if all you do is feed a guy cliches, what's he gonna do?

Offline blue911

« Reply #15: April 10, 2010, 12:58:32 PM »
I love McCatty's attitude. Mock and the other pitchers deserve to have him get in their faces about this crap. The one problem I have with McCatty is that he is still the pitching coach. Why pay a guy to do that job if they simply do no more than we can do in the stands by saying, "man up and throw strikes." Beyond the ass chewing, how about an actual suggestion about what to adjust? Did he bother to go through the pitch selection and get him to simplify an approach? Did he make a suggestion from his own experiences about what to do to deal with the elements? Or is McCatty the Lenny Harris of pitching coaches?

In another quote, McCatty said that other than SS, Mock has the best stuff. Seems like he had all Spring to actually harness that. But if all you do is feed a guy cliches, what's he gonna do?

With Mock, I think the message needs to be delivered that he needs to put up or shut up. For all the supposed talent, he's been a bitter disappointment. I know that the pitching improved last season after the Saint was let go, but that's not exactly awe inspiring.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #16: April 10, 2010, 01:06:04 PM »

SSB -- those would have been great follow up questions for the reporter to ask. Unfortunately, from the articles I typically read, we very rarely get anything more than a surface look at the coaches and players. I would love to hear McCatty answer questions like that, and I would love to get a more complete look at his pitching philosophy both in-game and long term with all these young arms we have.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #17: April 10, 2010, 01:19:51 PM »
lol wow :dibbs: killing mock last night for making excuses about every bad start.  :clap:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #18: April 10, 2010, 01:20:32 PM »
Was that blonde John's sister?

Not bad.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #19: April 10, 2010, 01:21:19 PM »
jesus christ how is that not a strike.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #20: April 10, 2010, 01:22:06 PM »
Zimmerman :clap:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #21: April 10, 2010, 01:22:14 PM »
lol k that non strike call just gave zim the chance to add to his highlight reel

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #22: April 10, 2010, 01:26:27 PM »
The non-strike was probably a hair outside, at least to the blue. Of course that call against Zim was about six inches inside, so...

Great play by Zim there. Wow.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #23: April 10, 2010, 01:27:25 PM »
Maybe we should up-end the lineup for a few games, the way Pudge, Desmond, and Hammer are playing :|

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #24: April 10, 2010, 01:29:28 PM »
but i guess when david wright is batting that same pitch is a ball.  interesting.