Author Topic: One RF thread to rule them all  (Read 20068 times)

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
Re: One RF thread to rule them all
« Reply #450: June 29, 2010, 08:14:34 AM »
I'm really,really down on these so called athletic types. They never seem to fully develop. I'm not just talking about Morgan or Kemp but go back and look at your Bo Jacksons, Reggie Sanders and Deion Sanders. These guys were all great athletes but not great ballplayers.

This is why ultimately I think Rizzo will succeed. Bowden always looked at secondary tools and felt that hitting, plate discipline, and defense could be taught. I think those skills need to be somewhat natural and developped over a longer period of time.

I see Kemp as more of a Derek Lee type player. A guy that grew up playing basketball but had baseball skills and can ultimately succeed. If the dodgers have truly given up on him and all it is going to cost is not much then why not take a flyer on a guy that could be more talented than anyone we have out there right now.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #451: June 29, 2010, 08:21:29 AM »
You wonder, though, with Manny in his last year of his contract whether they will keep Kemp around and move him to left next year.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #452: June 29, 2010, 01:14:37 PM »
I'm really,really down on these so called athletic types. They never seem to fully develop. I'm not just talking about Morgan or Kemp but go back and look at your Bo Jacksons, Reggie Sanders and Deion Sanders. These guys were all great athletes but not great ballplayers.

In the case of Jackson and Sanders, they were also playing football, so their focus wasn't totally on baseball.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #453: June 30, 2010, 01:00:24 PM »
roger looks like the guy right now :whip: hopefully he keeps it up ... i'm eating crow.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #454: June 30, 2010, 10:47:28 PM »
roger looks like the guy right now :whip: hopefully he keeps it up ... i'm eating crow.

eat it

Offline madj55

« Reply #455: July 01, 2010, 09:09:22 AM »
I don't think Kemp's problem is that he is loafing. He is a corner outfielder that got a late start in baseball and is playing out of position. He seems to have a bit of a fragile ego and needs to be out of the limelight. With the Stephen Strasburg show our right field might be the perfect place for him.
I agree Kemp definitely isn't loafing, but how are you going to say that he is playing out of position? The guy just won a gold glove last year in center for the Dodgers. And I agree he needs to dump Rihanna and get out of the limelight because it seems like it is too much for him to handle at this point, although he had an excellent game yesterday against the Giants.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #456: July 01, 2010, 09:14:11 AM »
I agree Kemp definitely isn't loafing, but how are you going to say that he is playing out of position? The guy just won a gold glove last year in center for the Dodgers. And I agree he needs to dump Rihanna and get out of the limelight because it seems like it is too much for him to handle at this point, although he had an excellent game yesterday against the Giants.

Nate McClouth won a gold glove in a year when he ranked as the worst centerfielder in baseball. Kemp is extremely athletic, but takes bad routes to balls, and makes some questionable decisions on defense. If he were made a coner outfielder his athleticism could shine covering the much smaller ground and he would be able to embrace his power more. 

Offline madj55

« Reply #457: July 01, 2010, 01:47:47 PM »
Nate McClouth won a gold glove in a year when he ranked as the worst centerfielder in baseball. Kemp is extremely athletic, but takes bad routes to balls, and makes some questionable decisions on defense. If he were made a coner outfielder his athleticism could shine covering the much smaller ground and he would be able to embrace his power more. 
Yeah I realized after my comment that winning a Gold Glove nowadays has nothing to do with how well you field the baseball, but last year when I saw Kemp play against us and in the playoffs I saw a very good defensive outfielder who took good routes to balls and had good reads on fly balls. However, just like Nyjer, he has taken a step back defensively this season.