Author Topic: Strasburg just as good as Tom Seaver already  (Read 1116 times)

Offline NatsDad14

Strasburg just as good as Tom Seaver already
« Topic Start: March 17, 2010, 04:53:59 PM »
The Hardball Times has just re-released its pitcher projections, including a big fix. And as David Gassko notes, there's a small bombshell in there: "Note that even after fixing the pitcher MLEs, Stephen Strasburg still projects for a 2.86 ERA this season. Wow."

Wow, indeed.

And if he's at 2.86 as a rookie, what's he going to do once he's learned to pitch?

Because 2.86 -- if that's his true talent level -- would already put him in a class of pitchers including Pedro Martinez, Tom Seaver, Greg Maddux and a few other Hall of Famers ... but when those guys were ages 25 through 28! In other words, Stasburg at 21 would be as effective as the best pitchers we've seen were at their peaks.

Does that seem likely? Not to Tangotiger, who proposes the Seaver Rule ...

3. You can’t possibly make that kind of bet can you? Isn’t it better to say that the maximum potential upside for ANY non-MLB pitcher ever, past, present, or future, is Tom Seaver? Isn’t it reasonable to say that? Isn’t it better to say that Strasburg’s runs allowed talent is a 65% - 100% pitcher of league average, with a mean forecast of close to 80%? Basically, you give me the best college or Japanese performance ever, and I say that the UPSIDE forecast (two standard deviations from his mean forecast) for that pitching line cannot be better than Tom Seaver.

4. Regression, regression, regression.

When I've been asked how good Strasburg might be this year, my answer is Mark Prior. He wasn't the No. 1 pick in the draft, but could have been. Like Strasburg, he was routinely described as the best college pitcher that anyone had ever seen. In his first professional season, he reached the majors and allowed runs at 77 percent of the league average.

In Prior's second season, though? When he cut his home-runs-allowed rate nearly in half? He allowed runs at just 61 percent of the league average. At 21, Prior was excellent; at 22, he was Tom Seaver (except maybe just a little better).

In the event, that was the end of Mark Prior's run as a great pitcher.

I think it would be foolish to project a career for Stephen Strasburg like Tom Seaver's or Pedro Martinez's or Greg Maddux's or Randy Johnson's or even Kevin Appier's.

I do think Strasburg will have seasons like theirs, and very soon. I just don't know, can't know, how many of them he'll have.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/2765/is-strasburg-already-as-good-as-seaver

HardballTimes projected him to put up numbers this season that would have been the best numbers in baseball last year even ahead of noted stars like Lincecum and Greinke.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: Strasburg just as good as Tom Seaver already
« Reply #1: March 17, 2010, 05:17:56 PM »
Glad to see nobody's expecting too much from the kid or anything. :?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2: March 17, 2010, 06:00:20 PM »
I don't trust a projection from college to the majors.

Online tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: March 17, 2010, 08:26:09 PM »
I don't trust a projection from college to the majors.

There would seem to be a lot more downside risk in that one.  

Still, much downside risk is realized as a result of injuries, and that's not at all reliably predicted.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #4: March 17, 2010, 08:36:33 PM »
I am so excited to see this guy pitch on Friday. I cannot wait.

Offline RL04

« Reply #5: March 18, 2010, 02:03:11 PM »
For those of you who may not know, Seaver was originally drafted by the Dodgers but L.A. refused to pay Tom's $70,000 asking price.   :icon_exclaim:

Seaver finished with over 300 wins and a 2.86 career ERA.   2.86.   Career!

Pitchers nowadays are considered great if their ERA doesn't go much above four.

I would die a very happy man if Strasburg winds up with those numbers as a Nat.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #6: March 18, 2010, 02:43:46 PM »
Pedro had a career ERA of 2.93 in a much tougher (steroid) era.  His ERA+ was 154.  Tops of all starters, all time, and only exceeded by Mariano Rivera.  Top 2 HOFers are Lefty Grove at 148 and Walter Johnson at 147.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #7: March 18, 2010, 03:10:25 PM »
Why do we insult Strasburg by putting him in a class with Seaver?  He's got to be up there at least with Feller, or maybe Walter Johnson.

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #8: March 18, 2010, 03:16:09 PM »
 Or maybe Jesus.....................Geez, give the kid a break..........

Offline Ray D

« Reply #9: March 18, 2010, 03:25:37 PM »
Let's not get carried away. He's not up there with Mike Stanton yet.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #10: March 18, 2010, 03:27:54 PM »
For those of you who may not know, Seaver was originally drafted by the Dodgers but L.A. refused to pay Tom's $70,000 asking price.   :icon_exclaim:

Seaver finished with over 300 wins and a 2.86 career ERA.   2.86.   Career!

Pitchers nowadays are considered great if their ERA doesn't go much above four.

I would die a very happy man if Strasburg winds up with those numbers as a Nat.

I would be happy if he can do what Tommy Hanson did last year.  I think you'll see him compared to Hanson for a long time.

« Reply #11: March 18, 2010, 03:29:34 PM »
This is all, of course, if he stays a Nat.

I have Yankee friends who already have saved-the-date years from now when he becomes FA eligible.

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #12: March 18, 2010, 03:31:57 PM »
I would be happy if he can do what Tommy Hanson did last year.  I think you'll see him compared to Hanson for a long time.
                 I would be happy if he didn't get injured like Jordan Zimmerman and could make it through a complete season at the Major League level..........

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #13: March 18, 2010, 04:14:13 PM »
                I would be happy if he didn't get injured like Jordan Zimmerman and could make it through a complete season at the Major League level..........

That ligament in JZ's elbow is a real nag for tearing like that. What a horrible ligament it is. If only its mother knew.

Offline imref

« Reply #14: March 18, 2010, 04:30:21 PM »

That too.  Thankfully for Zimmerman he did his damage early in his career, the long term prognosis is pretty good.

Online tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #15: March 18, 2010, 05:12:01 PM »
That too.  Thankfully for Zimmerman he did his damage early in his career, the long term prognosis is pretty good.

Sure, he won a gold glove and silver slugger last year.  Great long term prognosis.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #16: March 18, 2010, 05:14:44 PM »
:rofl: :clap:

Online tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #18: March 18, 2010, 06:18:11 PM »
Tom Seaver or Jerry Koosman? They were about equal in 1968. Then Koos hurt his arm. Came back as more a thinking / finesse pitcher. Still effective, but not what he coulda shoulda mighta been.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #19: March 18, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
When we create Strasburg's statute, can we make sure he only has 2 arms?

Offline imref

« Reply #20: March 18, 2010, 09:11:25 PM »
Sure, he won a gold glove and silver slugger last year.  Great long term prognosis.

arghhh!!  And i usually double check for the extra "N".   Got me!

Offline imref

« Reply #21: March 18, 2010, 09:11:51 PM »

:rofl:

I thought they already put the statue at the park entrance?

Offline RL04

« Reply #22: March 30, 2010, 04:01:48 PM »
Pedro had a career ERA of 2.93 in a much tougher (steroid) era. 

True.  But on the other hand, Martinez played during the era of mass expansion and therefore, one could say, played against lesser competition ... against many batters who would never had made it to the majors during Seaver's era.

Well, then one could say Martinez pitched many games in Fenway, with a short left field wall thus increasing the potential for more hits.
Then I could come back and say that line drives hitting the wall forced batters to be held to singles, whereas in other parks they’d be extra base hits or home-runs.

There is no one thing someone can point to and say that is the difference between eras or circumstances.

Seaver and Martinez were both great pitchers.  (I just happen to think Tom Terrific was better.   ;))

Offline asindc

« Reply #23: March 31, 2010, 05:24:46 PM »

"statute" 

Are you suggesting that there be a law requiring that DC-area residents recognize his greatness?