Author Topic: :PANatsfan batsignal: Don't ever go to another Orioles Game.  (Read 657 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
So then comes the news, via the Baltimore Sun, that Orioles DH Luke Scott has brought guns into MLB clubhouses. Crazy, right?

"I've carried a gun for 10 years. I've carried them in the locker room, and nobody really knows about it. I know how to handle myself, and I stow it away where nobody really knows about it."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/02/luke_scotts_gilbert_arenas_mom.html?wprss=dcsportsbog

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
What a moron. Scott sucks and it's not relevant because I pretty much hate Baltimore anyway :lol:

Offline JMW IV

What a moron. Scott sucks and it's not relevant because I pretty much hate Baltimore anyway :lol:

baltimore comes to nats park.  and the article didn't specify whether he only brings them to home games.

Offline PANatsFan

baltimore comes to nats park.  and the article didn't specify whether he only brings them to home games.

I don't think he wants to commit a felony in DC. Just a guess. Not going to bother the article, but guessing the Lerners would have his ass if he pulled that stunt. The locker rooms are Nats property and surely they could search his locker.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
On what grounds? You can't just randomly search a person's locker because you feel like it.

Offline PANatsFan

On what grounds? You can't just randomly search a person's locker because you feel like it.

They can pat you down when you enter the ballpark. You are voluntarily giving up rights to see the game.

This would be huge showdown with the union, but I think it's time. Employees have no right to privacy in their belongings at work, do they?

Again, let me know when it's a player on a good team, especially one on a team I give a crap about, and when there's proof it took place in DC.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
For cops, you need a higher level of proof than say a professional entity with a labor contract. For MLB, it just has to be consistent with the contract.  For cops, you could do a Terry stop with less than probably cause and some element of fear.  This guy admits to bringing around guns with him, and if there is some reason he prohibited from having one where he is, it is fairly easy to do a stop and frisk.  But I don't do criminal law.

Offline Nick the Pig

Of course they can.  That locker belongs to the Washington Nationals, not to Luke Scott.

Offline JMW IV

Again, let me know when it's a player on a good team, especially one on a team I give a crap about, and when there's proof it took place in DC.

so its okay for sucky players on other teams to bring guns to the stadium, but not for the good players on your favorite teams. got it.

Offline PANatsFan

so its okay for sucky players on other teams to bring guns to the stadium, but not for the good players on your favorite teams. got it.

:lmao: Stop Jmadding. I obviously care a lot more when the star player on my favorite team pulls this stunt instead of a marginal player on a team I can't stand that comes to town 3 times a year.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
Of course they can.  That locker belongs to the Washington Nationals, not to Luke Scott.

I'm sure the MLBPA would have a field day with that.

Online HalfSmokes

Of course they can.  That locker belongs to the Washington Nationals, not to Luke Scott.
unless he puts the guns in a bag in his locker, in which case the bag they would need to open does not belong to the nationals

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
What i don't know is whether the stadium is considered "owned" by the Nats or the City.  I'd guess the Nats probably are a tenant. 

Offline Nick the Pig

unless he puts the guns in a bag in his locker, in which case the bag they would need to open does not belong to the nationals

I'm no lawyer, but I believe that you give up a certain amount of privacy when you bring things into or take things out of your employer's place of business.

Online HalfSmokes

I'm no lawyer, but I believe that you give up a certain amount of privacy when you bring things into or take things out of your employer's place of business.

In what area would an employee almost always have a reasonable expectation of privacy?

A: Employees most likely have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their cars, briefcases, backpacks, purses, pockets, and other items which hold personal belongings as well as work-related materials.

http://www.weac.org/news_and_publications/education_news/2003-2004/search_guidelines.aspx

I remember this because while I was going to Pyle, the school district got dragged over the coals because they searched a student's backpack inside of his locker (little punk got suspended for bringing listerene - he was sleeping over at a friends house)

Offline PANatsFan

http://www.weac.org/news_and_publications/education_news/2003-2004/search_guidelines.aspx

I remember this because while I was going to Pyle, the school district got dragged over the coals because they searched a student's backpack inside of his locker (little punk got suspended for bringing listerene - he was sleeping over at a friends house)

Schools act in loco parentis and can search without cause, AFAIK. If employers can check your pee, it would follow that they can look in your locker. But the Nats don't employ the visiting team. So I have no idea.

The point is that bad seeds has been bringing illegal contraband ( drugs, weapons, etc) into locker rooms for years now. No one has even been murdered with a steroid cream, though. Just because these guys make millions doesn't mean that illegal behavior should be tolerated. I don't know why everyone's sympathy automatically falls 100% with the players, sometimes these guys are just plain wrong. And they make the good guys look bad, to boot.

Offline Nick the Pig

Sure, but "reasonable expectation" make for a nice big gray area, doesn't it ?

Then there's the whole probable cause issue...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
And they make the good guys look bad, to boot.

No they don't.

No one is going to be angry with Adam Jones because Luke Scott brings a gun into the locker room.

I can't believe there is even a debate about this.

Why does any pro-athlete need a gun in the locker room? Are they expecting Billy the Kid to suddenly jump out of a jock and hold them up?

Offline PANatsFan

I can't believe there is even a debate about this.

Why does any pro-athlete need a gun in the locker room? Are they expecting Billy the Kid to suddenly jump out of a jock and hold them up?

:clap:

If players are unhappy with security, that is a valid issue for the union to raise.  Up until recently, there was easily available alcohol in the clubhouse as well. Genius.

Offline Minty Fresh

• He's Got The Whole World In His Hands...
Are they expecting Billy the Kid to suddenly jump out of a jock and hold them up?

Boy does THAT statement have a lot of loaded innuendo.  :lol:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
:clap:

If players are unhappy with security, that is a valid issue for the union to raise.

This is why Sean Falco had his guards for his car.  But they were non-Union.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
I'd hate to see Jose Guillen packing heat in the clubhouse