Author Topic: Hardball Times Ranks Nationals 11th  (Read 1133 times)

Offline UMDNats

Hardball Times Ranks Nationals 11th
« Topic Start: February 20, 2010, 03:18:05 PM »
http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/fantasy/article/the-compilation-mlb-team-by-team-top-10-prospects/

11. Washington Nationals

Strasburg was a slam-dunk addition, and a breakout year from Norris and Espinosa helped, but the Nationals' depth is weak. Yet, they may be just one more strong draft away from one of the best systems in baseball in terms quality and quantity. Owning the No. 1 pick helps.

1. Stephen Strasburg SP / 2. Derek Norris C / 3. Danny Espinosa SS / 4. Chris Marrero 1B / 5. Drew Storen RP/SP / 6. Ian Desmond SS/2B / 7. Eury Perez OF / 8. Destin Hood OF / 9. Michael Burgess OF / 10. Marcos Frias SP

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Hardball Times Ranks Nationals 11th
« Reply #1: February 20, 2010, 03:42:53 PM »
[ASSCLOWN] These guys really know what they're talking about.  :clap:  :worship: [/ASSCLOWN]

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2: February 23, 2010, 06:44:34 PM »
Another year of picking first in each round is going to be killer.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3: February 24, 2010, 10:39:43 PM »
to offset my jerk post in another thread, this 11th place ranking isnt disastrous

who is more authoritative, baseball america or hard times cafe?

probably doesnt matter though because i think one year we were 9th and then the next 27th in the same publication, likely without losing any prospects. i guess they just sucked and nobody knew it

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #4: February 25, 2010, 08:24:31 AM »
to offset my jerk post in another thread, this 11th place ranking isnt disastrous

who is more authoritative, baseball america or hard times cafe?

Well, both have been known to give you heartburn.

probably doesnt matter though because i think one year we were 9th and then the next 27th in the same publication, likely without losing any prospects]. i guess they just sucked and nobody knew it

By these magazines and websites, a "prospect" is a player who has not met the MLB maximum IP, ABs, or days on the roster to have used up rookier status.  It is roughly 1/4 of a season, excluding September call ups, 135 ABs, and 45 - 50 IP.  For example, Matusz is a "prospect" (44.2 IP) but Tillman (65 IP) isn't.

I think you are talking about 2008 to 2009.  Marrero and Detwiler were the top 2 propsects  I think had the big step backs, but there were some graduations like Lannan (not in the team top 10) and Balester.  Balester (team top #3) was in the top 100 that year on BA.  Burgess and McGeary I think Callis said just missed the top 100. Smoker was #6, JZ #7, and Glenn Gibson was #8.  J-Max and Colton Willems rounded out the list.

In retrospect, that list was incredibly young and a bunch of tools projections rather than high minors long track record types. BP I think is more of a track record rater.  Lannan is the type that tools oriented prospect publications like BA discount.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #5: February 25, 2010, 09:06:50 AM »
In retrospect, that list was incredibly young and a bunch of tools projections rather than high minors long track record types. BP I think is more of a track record rater.  Lannan is the type that tools oriented prospect publications like BA discount.

Lannan probably was never rated because, 1.) he came from an unknown college, 2.) he was selected in the 11th round, and 3.) he was fast tracked to the majors never giving him a chance to be noticed.  But you are right, players like Lannan are not going to make these types of lists and for good reason, they rarely make ML teams.  Also, through my experience, I have noticed that most prospect rankings are going to rank players based off of their ceiling.  Lannan was pretty much already there when he was taken by Washington.

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #6: February 25, 2010, 03:55:49 PM »
No more #1 picks after this year

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #7: February 25, 2010, 04:11:29 PM »
Never underestimate a born loser. Their potential to fail is epic.