Author Topic: Ben Goessling live chat - Feb 23, 2010 (Completed)  (Read 21523 times)

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
Re: Ben Goessling live chat - IN PROGRESS NOW
« Reply #75: February 23, 2010, 09:11:13 PM »
Pass!   :P

Unfortunately, to find Walter at the HOF you have to visit the Twins area....  :bang:
Yeah, I guess that makes sense, since it's technically the franchise he's with. But I get the frustration. If it makes you feel any better, most Twins fans don't think of Walter Johnson when conversations come up about the best pitcher in team history, just because they have no connection with him in Minnesota.

Online DPMOmaha

« Reply #76: February 23, 2010, 09:12:15 PM »
Adam Dunn.  Long term extension or trade deadline haul?

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
« Reply #77: February 23, 2010, 09:13:18 PM »
Jim Riggleman is a protege of Whitey Herzog.

After two years of unimaginative baseball, you'll now have an orgy of strategy. Enjoy. The guys that had to cover the Acta years deserve some payback. 

Yep, Riggleman is a Cardinals product, through and through. I didn't mind Manny's approach to the game, either -- he's from a different school of thought than Riggleman. Manny is a sharp guy, and had an explanation for everything he did when we'd ask him about it. He believes in sticking to his guns, though, and it's possible his philosophy will play better in the American League.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #78: February 23, 2010, 09:14:17 PM »
I think you're right on with who's looking good and who's not -- though there seems to still be a high level of optimism about Olsen. There's also a good vibe about Matt Chico's chances to come back. But as Jim Riggleman said today, anybody can look great in a bullpen session or in batting practice.

That's definitely my thinking. What are some of the things they're looking for in an environment as pressure-free as the bullpen session?

I saw that Stephen Strasburg, in his first bullpen, was throwing pretty hard trying to impress. It must be a tough thing not being told to start at 100%.

I have a few other serious questions, as well as a very silly question, but I'll save those for later posts. I want you to realize I'm a normal guy who's genuinely very interested in what y'all are doing down in Florida, before I spring the silly question.

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
« Reply #79: February 23, 2010, 09:15:45 PM »
Actually in the "lockers" for each team and their history (has uniforms and records of the team), the Twins list the 1924 championship as their history.

Then again, don't get me started....   :roll:   :crazy: :rant: :rant: :rant:
I've also seen a 1924 flag in Nationals Park, and plenty of Senators '24 memorabilia in the Diamond Club. Not sure if that's a better approach or not. It's an odd situation, I'll admit. The Wild kind of dealt with the same thing when they started playing in Minnesota -- they wanted to ingratiate themselves to the hockey tradition in the state, but a lot of people had bad feelings with the North Stars leaving. So they make subtle mentions of the North Stars with the logo, new alternate jersey and in-game stuff, but don't associate themselves with the past as much as the Nats do.

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
« Reply #80: February 23, 2010, 09:16:54 PM »
Dutch Chocolate?
Yeah, that'd work. My attempt at a double entendre failed miserably, but what the heck? Bring on the chocolate!

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
« Reply #81: February 23, 2010, 09:18:07 PM »
Hey Ben,

What prospects are in camp that haven't been reported on much, I'm thinking the Destin Hood, Micheal Burgess Brad Meyers, and to a lesser extent Chris Marrero's of the world?

Haven't seen many of those guys around yet, but I was talking to Mark Scialabba, who runs the minor league camp, today, and he said the accelerated camp guys are due in tomorrow. So you'll start seeing Marrero, Burgess, etc., in the next few days.

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
« Reply #82: February 23, 2010, 09:19:28 PM »
I don't know if this has been asked already.  Have you seen Zimmermann (2 "n"s) pitch?  How's he look?

Jordan Zimmermann is around, but still not doing much because of Tommy John surgery. He looks like he's in good shape, though, and I can tell you there are plenty of people in the organization who still see him as a major part of the team's plans as soon as late August-early September.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #83: February 23, 2010, 09:20:44 PM »
Ben -

So exactly how big is the Nats media contingent down there(not counting the Taiwanese army that is following Chien-Ming Wang)?

Who exactly is down there on a daily basis, and from what Media sources?

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
« Reply #84: February 23, 2010, 09:21:32 PM »
What are realistic expectations for this team this year?  What does the Front Office, coaches, players expect for this year?  We've already heard Marquis and the like make the obligatory "We want to shock the world" quotes, but is there any way to gauge what a realistic, "successful" season would look like?

The "we want to shock the world" sentiment isn't going to be repeated by the front office much. Team officials have a very realistic outlook on the year -- they know contention probably isn't plausible this season, but not out of the question for 2011. If they win 75 games this year, I think you'd have to call that a success.

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
« Reply #85: February 23, 2010, 09:24:26 PM »
OK, I see three more questions in the queue. Out of respect for the friendly moderators here, who have kids and who are taking their own time to do this, I'll answer those three, then two more if they're out there, and wrap up. But like I said, you can ask me anything, any time, at www.masnsports.com/index_nationals.html. Or hit me up on Twitter (@masnnats).

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #86: February 23, 2010, 09:25:19 PM »
I'm one of those folks who's still really optimistic about Shairon Martis; the guy's only going to turn 23 this year, he's thrown a no-hitter before, etc etc. What I've heard of him so far is that he showed up to camp somewhat overweight, but people are really optimistic about him early. What's that all about? Have any more insight into the impressions he's been making?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #87: February 23, 2010, 09:28:42 PM »
OK, I see three more questions in the queue. Out of respect for the friendly moderators here, who have kids and who are taking their own time to do this, I'll answer those three, then two more if they're out there, and wrap up. But like I said, you can ask me anything, any time, at www.masnsports.com/index_nationals.html. Or hit me up on Twitter (@masnnats).

Well I'll jettison my really silly question and just tell a story then. Today, about 4 hours ago, I was in a press box for the very first time, with a press pass for the very first time, to cover baseball for the very first time - Rice University's home opener against Texas State. Got up there, thinking, "Is anybody going to stop me? Am I really allowed to do this?" - like the kid in the candy shop - got up there, a very nice gentleman pointed out where the scorecards were, offered some free Chik-Fil-A, and gave me a seat in front of the bank of windows. So I sat down, looked out over the field - covered in tarp, because it was raining (the game got rained out) - looked down at my scorecard and laptop, looked around at the veteran reporters, some of them students from Texas State and some of them decades older than I, even a man in his 60s with a Rice jacket - and thought ... what am I doing here? What do I do now???

It was a ton of fun, just the feeling of sitting there being some place where I felt I didn't deserve to be. Sad that the game was canceled ... but on the other hand, I hadn't quite figured out how to fill out the scorecard yet! :D

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #88: February 23, 2010, 09:28:55 PM »

Ok folks, hold any remaining questions for Ben, hit him up over at MASN with them.

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
« Reply #89: February 23, 2010, 09:29:14 PM »
Adam Dunn.  Long term extension or trade deadline haul?
Surprised it took this long to get into Dunn's contract status. Anyway...

I think there's momentum to get this done, but the complicating factor is, how long of an extension do you give him? He's only 30, and figures to hit home runs for a number of years. But the Nationals still have Chris Marrero, and Dunn could bring back a number of solid pieces from an American League team looking for a bat (probably a DH) at the trade deadline. I think a deal gets done -- I think the 3/$39 figure I saw at MLBTR is a good possibility -- but if something doesn't happen by early May, it's time to start wondering if the Nats plan to trade Dunn.

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
« Reply #90: February 23, 2010, 09:33:25 PM »
Ben -

So exactly how big is the Nats media contingent down there(not counting the Taiwanese army that is following Chien-Ming Wang)?

Who exactly is down there on a daily basis, and from what Media sources?

The Taiwanese Army has marched west, at least for now. They'll be back in Florida with Wang soon enough, though.

The daily Nats media contingent looks like this: Chico Harlan (Washington Post), Mark DeCotis (Florida Today) Craig Heist (WTOP), Kelli Johnson (Comcast, though I think they're only here for a few more days), Pete Kerzel (AP), Bill Ladson (MLB.com), Mark Zuckerman (Nats Insider) and myself. Dave Sheinin was here for a few days, Tom Boswell is currently here and there have been national media members (NYT, Philadelphia Inquirer, Seattle Times, CBSSports.com, ESPN) popping up every time Strasburg pitches.

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
« Reply #91: February 23, 2010, 09:37:21 PM »
I'm one of those folks who's still really optimistic about Shairon Martis; the guy's only going to turn 23 this year, he's thrown a no-hitter before, etc etc. What I've heard of him so far is that he showed up to camp somewhat overweight, but people are really optimistic about him early. What's that all about? Have any more insight into the impressions he's been making?

Martis does look a little on the large side, but Steve McCatty had good things to say about him yesterday. He's been impressive in his bullpen sessions, however much you can trust those, and will get a chance to make the rotation. His stuff is really good; he's just struggled to challenge hitters and attack the strike zone on a consistent basis. And the way the Nats grade pitchers, nothing will get you sent out of here faster. If he can be aggressive, though, I think he'll have a chance to make the rotation. He did it last year; I don't see why he can't again.

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
« Reply #92: February 23, 2010, 09:39:49 PM »

Well I'll jettison my really silly question and just tell a story then. Today, about 4 hours ago, I was in a press box for the very first time, with a press pass for the very first time, to cover baseball for the very first time - Rice University's home opener against Texas State. Got up there, thinking, "Is anybody going to stop me? Am I really allowed to do this?" - like the kid in the candy shop - got up there, a very nice gentleman pointed out where the scorecards were, offered some free Chik-Fil-A, and gave me a seat in front of the bank of windows. So I sat down, looked out over the field - covered in tarp, because it was raining (the game got rained out) - looked down at my scorecard and laptop, looked around at the veteran reporters, some of them students from Texas State and some of them decades older than I, even a man in his 60s with a Rice jacket - and thought ... what am I doing here? What do I do now???

It was a ton of fun, just the feeling of sitting there being some place where I felt I didn't deserve to be. Sad that the game was canceled ... but on the other hand, I hadn't quite figured out how to fill out the scorecard yet! :D

Yep, I can remember my first game well, too -- a high school football section final between Breck and East Central High Schools in Minnesota. Final score: 77-16 -- and Breck threw for a touchdown on a fourth-and-20 when they were up 56-0 in the fourth quarter.

This business won't make you rich, and the job security has never been worse. But it's invigorating and rewarding, and there's nothing I'd rather do.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #93: February 23, 2010, 09:40:30 PM »
Thanks Ben for answering my ? really appreciate it.

I asked this earlier idk if you saw it. But how does the organization feel about Derek Norris staying at Catcher?

Also, who's your early favorite for the number one draft pick besides Bryce Harper?

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
« Reply #94: February 23, 2010, 09:43:51 PM »
I realized I forgot the last part of an earlier question, so I'll answer that now and sign off:

If I were a betting man (and I am, as my new TV from fantasy football winnings will show), I'd say the bullpen looks like this: Capps (closer), Bruney, Burnett, Walker, Clippard, Bergmann, Guardado. Batista could be in that mix, too, if the Nats decide to make him a swing man.

OK, that's all for tonight. Thanks for the great questions, everybody. I enjoyed it immensely, and would love to do it again soon. In the meantime, you can fire any questions at me http://www.masnsports.com/index_nationals.html, or find me on Twitter (@masnnats). We'll probably do a live chat over there in the near future, and once spring games start, I'll have something of a live chat/in-game interactive package going every day.

Thanks again, and have a great night!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #95: February 23, 2010, 09:44:24 PM »
This business won't make you rich, and the job security has never been worse. But it's invigorating and rewarding, and there's nothing I'd rather do.

You wouldn't rather write about food?    :stir:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #96: February 23, 2010, 09:45:52 PM »
OK, that's all for tonight. Thanks for the great questions, everybody. I enjoyed it immensely, and would love to do it again soon. In the meantime, you can fire any questions at me http://www.masnsports.com/index_nationals.html, or find me on Twitter (@masnnats). We'll probably do a live chat over there in the near future, and once spring games start, I'll have something of a live chat/in-game interactive package going every day.

Thanks again, and have a great night!

Ben, thanks so much for joining us!  Appreciate your coverage of the Nats, and look forward to lots of multi-media updates this season.

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
« Reply #97: February 23, 2010, 09:46:06 PM »
Absolutely not. I love writing about baseball -- and I love ballpark food, which probably means my palate isn't sophisticated enough to be a food critic, anyway. Speaking of that, I need to find some dinner...

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #98: February 23, 2010, 09:46:13 PM »
aw, just missed it! :(

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
« Reply #99: February 23, 2010, 09:47:50 PM »
aw, just missed it! :(

So fire away over here: http://www.masnsports.com/index_nationals.html. Pick a post and comment away. And we'll do this again soon.

OK, I really need to eat dinner. Thanks again, everybody! Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. Talk to you soon!