Author Topic: Ben Goessling live chat - Feb 23, 2010 (Completed)  (Read 18855 times)

Online JMW IV

I'd like to turn the tables a little bit and ask a question to all of you, if I could. We're trying to figure out the best way to do Twitter at MASN (my account is http://twitter.com/masnnats, by the way), and I told my bosses I'd pose the question to the fans and see what they say. Here's how it currently works: I post observations, commentary or whatever else comes to my mind on the Twitter account, but we also have an automated feed via TwitterFeed that generates a tweet every time Kristen Hudak, Byron Kerr, Phil Wood or I post a blog entry on our website. Is that working for you, or would you prefer there to be an automated Nats feed separate from my Twitter account?

We're definitely interested in some input on that, as well as other things you'd like to see from our coverage. So if I can hijack a small part of this chat (and the thread that leads up to it) to discuss some of that stuff, I'd appreciate it. Help me help you.  :)

Thanks!

The automated feed is pretty spammy. less personal.

we'll find your articles with or without the automated feed, to be honest. I'd keep your feed seperate from the automated one.

I have a suggestion too while we are at it. You guys should look into revamping your Comment setup. Perhaps look into something like Disqus to power your comment section.

Online JMW IV

and now for a question.

What have you found to be the major differences between writing as a Beat Writer for a Major Newspaper, and writing for a TV Station's website?

Are you going to be prominently featured on MASN's Nats-focused TV Coverage?

also, Pirates or Ninjas?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Don't forget guys, we're going to pick it up tonight at 8:00 pm.  So pour yourself a cold one, sit down by the keyboard and let it flow.

Should I start a new thread, or just stay in this one?  I'm thinking I could just change the title as things progress - to "LIVE IN PROGRESS" or some such dramatic, people grabbing hypey thing. 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Don't forget guys, we're going to pick it up tonight at 8:00 pm.  So pour yourself a cold one, sit down by the keyboard and let it flow.

Should I start a new thread, or just stay in this one?  I'm thinking I could just change the title as things progress - to "LIVE IN PROGRESS" or some such dramatic, people grabbing hypey thing. 

Could someone ask my question about a focus on writing at MASN and about MASN2HD on FiOS? I will be unavailable until late tonight? Thanks.

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
Don't worry--I saw your question, and will answer it at 8:00, as well as all the other ones posted before the chat. Most of the stuff about programming and negotiations with cable companies is out of my realm, but I'll tell you what I can. If nothing else, I'm happy to pass suggestions back to my bosses.

Well, time to get a quick workout in before the chat. Talk to you guys then. Looking forward to it.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Don't worry--I saw your question, and will answer it at 8:00, as well as all the other ones posted before the chat. Most of the stuff about programming and negotiations with cable companies is out of my realm, but I'll tell you what I can. If nothing else, I'm happy to pass suggestions back to my bosses.

Well, time to get a quick workout in before the chat. Talk to you guys then. Looking forward to it.

Feel free to set the boundaries as appropriate. 

Offline GMUTrkstar

Hey Ben love your coverage over at MASN.
How does the organization feel about Derek Norris's chances of sticking at Catcher?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Alright, executive decision here, I'm going to leave this thread intact and let it continue as the official "chat" thread.  It will make it slightly easier for Ben to quote questions already posted if he so desires.

With that I will throw out another one:

Only a couple of days into camp, who is comparing favorably to expectations, who is disappointing?

For example, from what I've been able to gleen...

Looking good - Martis, Strasburg
Not so good - Olsen and Flores (injuries, obviously)

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
Hey all,

I'm here, and ready to get started. I'm just going to start firing away at the questions you submitted, and feel free to ask more as you go. I know the plan is for an hour, but I'm good to go longer if you all want to stretch it a hair further.

I'll be back in a minute with the first response.

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
Ben:

A lot of questions are going to be asked about the current roster of Nationals, but I'd like to see what you think the Nats will do with the #1 overall pick in the June draft.  Are Rizzo/Kasten still looking to bolster the pitching or are we looking at a position player?  What do you feel would best help the team in the long term?

Thanks for reaching out directly to the fans, Ben.  Takes a lot of moxie in this day and age.

I’ll answer the second part of that question first; I think the need for an impact position player is going to become more evident in the next few years. The Nats haven’t exactly produced many of them through the farm system, and if they could get a big bat, that’d help, since they don’t really know what Chris Marrero is going to be yet. There are also a couple of shortstops near the top of the draft board that interest me. But most of the top players, at this point, are pitchers. So if they don’t take Harper, I could see it being another college pitcher

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Ben Goessling live chat - IN PROGRESS NOW
« Reply #35: February 23, 2010, 08:03:48 PM »
True or false - Walter Johnson was the greatest pitcher in Twins history.     8)

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
« Reply #36: February 23, 2010, 08:04:56 PM »
Yesterday evening on XM 175, former GM Jim Bowden, in response to a caller's question, was emphatic in stating that the issue of Guzman vs. Desmond for starting SS this season should be settled in the field in spring training, and that if Desmond outplayed Guzman, he should without doubt be the starting Nats shortstop.  He said that the compensation due Guzman should not be a factor in the decision on whom to play.

Aside from shortstop, the Nats don't have a lot of field positions up for competion - backup and utility fielders would be about it.  On the pitching staff, however, there will be fierce competition for the 2-3 available starter slots, and for bullpen openings.

I could see that Scott Olsen might struggle for a while, but recieve the benefit of a non-performance bias due to the fact he's recovering from an injury, and might be perceived as having more upside than say JD Martin.

So my question is related to this.  To what extent will the Nats allow competition for the few open spots to be decided by play on the field in ST, vs. by other factors - ie remaining options, relative compensation, perceived upside, etc.?

It’s an interesting question, because there are a few factors that play into it. If you’re talking about Guzman/Desmond specifically, the fact that Guzman is making $8 million will be one of those factors, if for no other reason than the Nationals would love to trade him if they could, and will probably try to showcase him somewhat. Desmond also has options, and those will be part of the equation, too. As much as we’d all like to see this stuff in a vacuum, there are always other forces at work. Take last spring, when Austin Kearns won the starting right field job over Elijah Dukes. Part of that was how poorly Dukes played at the end of camp, but the Nationals were also trying to a) reward a veteran and b) boost his value. But Kearns had a similar albatross of a contract to Guzman. Here’s how I see that battle shaping up: Guzman wins it, but Desmond is starting by August at the latest. That’s without having seen them play a game yet, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
« Reply #37: February 23, 2010, 08:08:40 PM »
Hey Ben, love your coverage on MASN, you actually respond to the fan comments!

Anyways, who would you say has the best shot for the 4-5 spot in the rotation... and, if you were a betting man... how do you think the bullpen shakes out?

Online blue911

« Reply #38: February 23, 2010, 08:08:58 PM »
How can Nolan Ryan be in the hall of fame and not Jim Kaat or Bert Blyleven?

Is it an Anti-Dutch backlash?

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
« Reply #39: February 23, 2010, 08:10:48 PM »
Your hiring by MASN to cover the Nats (exclusively?) definitely represents a step up on level of attention paid to our team.  However, MASN is only broadcasting 4 spring training/preseason games in all (NESN is broadcasting 9 Red Sox games, by comparison)

MASN is also going to be broadcasting Nats games in HD this season.

What else can you tell us regarding the level of coverage provided by MASN to the Nats this year, that might be of interest to us?  For example, will you be posting short video interviews or features from ST? 

We'll be doing a number of different things on the website, and during broadcasts, to add some new layers of coverage to the site. I'll be doing regular video interviews for the site, and will probably file some video weblogs of my own (vlogs, I guess). I'll also appear on Nats Xtra, certainly during the pre-game show and probably during some post-game broadcasts as well. In addition, I'm going to continue something I was doing over at the Washington Times last year -- chatting and posting analysis during games on our website (www.masnsports.com). They're working on a redesign of the site right now that will have some cool new bells and whistles -- I believe you'll have a one-stop shop with live stats, in-game updates and  my live commentary. That should be ready in the next few weeks, I think, and I'll start doing live in-game stuff once games start next week. I'm also on Twitter (@masnnats), where I'll post news and analysis on a regular basis.

We're always open to suggestions for what we can do better -- the Web, in many ways, is a new frontier for how to do journalism. You can try things that don't work, or you can hit on things you love. But don't hesitate to let me know what you'd like to see.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #40: February 23, 2010, 08:10:48 PM »
Ben -

With all the Spring Training story lines out there, why has there been so little mention of Ryan Zimmerman ?

Clearly the Nats best player, is he being taken for granted in favor of more juicy, headline grabbing stuff ?

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #41: February 23, 2010, 08:11:57 PM »
Ben -

What is this year's coaching staff's attitude towards pitch counts?

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
« Reply #42: February 23, 2010, 08:13:17 PM »
And in this vein, when will Dish Network carry any MASN-HD games?
There are a few questions asking about some of the negotiations with cable carriers, and unfortunately, I don't have a lot of information for you on that front. I'll certainly check on it, though, and see what I can find out for you. Sorry for the cop-out answer, but I don't know much else right now. When I do know something, I'll be sure to report back.

Online JMW IV

« Reply #43: February 23, 2010, 08:14:08 PM »
(not to hijack...but all those Guests viewing this thread...WE DON'T BITE! come on and join us, we're happy to have you guys and gals.)

ok, back to chat.

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
« Reply #44: February 23, 2010, 08:14:48 PM »
I'd like to turn the tables a little bit and ask a question to all of you, if I could. We're trying to figure out the best way to do Twitter at MASN (my account is http://twitter.com/masnnats, by the way), and I told my bosses I'd pose the question to the fans and see what they say. Here's how it currently works: I post observations, commentary or whatever else comes to my mind on the Twitter account, but we also have an automated feed via TwitterFeed that generates a tweet every time Kristen Hudak, Byron Kerr, Phil Wood or I post a blog entry on our website. Is that working for you, or would you prefer there to be an automated Nats feed separate from my Twitter account?

We're definitely interested in some input on that, as well as other things you'd like to see from our coverage. So if I can hijack a small part of this chat (and the thread that leads up to it) to discuss some of that stuff, I'd appreciate it. Help me help you.  :)

Thanks!

Shameless repost -- I've heard from a few fans on this, but I'd like to get a bigger cross-section of responses. So, let me know what you think we should do with our Twitter feeds. You can post during this chat, e-mail me at ben@masnstudios.com or comment in one of the posts over at our site. Thanks!

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
« Reply #45: February 23, 2010, 08:16:46 PM »
Let me get this straight, Ben moves to DC, the Nats have back-to-back 100 lose seasons and his newspaper folds?

Have you ever considered covering the Mets?

Nah. New York is too expensive. I like the Washington area, what with its modest cost of living and minimal traffic. :-)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #46: February 23, 2010, 08:19:14 PM »
First of all, mad love for the 2 plus hour of chatting a couple of weeks back.

For my ?? ... Are the Nats still looking for another starting pitcher or another player?  If so, who?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #47: February 23, 2010, 08:23:26 PM »
Also, John Lannan was doing a twitter contest some time back and he drew my screen name out of the hat and I won free tickets to any home game. He says he wants a week's notice on a game. So I was wondering, how the heck do I get in touch with him to let him know which game I want??

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
« Reply #48: February 23, 2010, 08:26:53 PM »
Thanks for joining us , Ben! :thumbs:

During the early parts of their MLB careers, which current or former MLB pitchers remind you the most of  Collin Balester, Matt Chico, Garrett Mock, Craig Stammen, JD Martin and Stephen Strasburg?

This could give the Nats fan base a target as to how these guys could turn out.

Example: Ryan Zimmerman has been compared to Brooks Robinson.

Boy, this is a tough one. It's hard to think of examples for all these guys right off the top of my head. But guys like Stammen and Martin come to mind first, because they're the kinds of pitchers the Nats seem to be cultivating -- they throw strikes, they get groundouts with their two-seam fastballs and they work quick. They're a lot like Jason Marquis, who the Nats obviously just signed and who fits in with the overall scheme of what Mike Rizzo is trying to do with his staff.

It's a bit of a stretch with Balester, but I could see a little Roy Oswalt in the delivery and the emphasis on the curveball.

And Strasburg...maybe Nolan Ryan, Cy Young and Walter Johnson all rolled together? :-)

Online blue911

« Reply #49: February 23, 2010, 08:31:11 PM »
Ben - First, thanks.  I'm sorry to say I may be one of the reasons your old paper dropped sports.  I don't read the Times, so I didn't often read you (except when linkd here or at NJ).  good luck on your new beat.

With an accounting background, what is your take on sabermetric analyses?  do you use them in your reporting? Are they understandable enough to help you tell readers something about the game or are they niche / jargon that just mess up the story?  Check my signature line.

I'd like to pimp this question.