Author Topic: Ben Goessling live chat - Feb 23, 2010 (Completed)  (Read 19799 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Ben Goessling live chat - Feb 23, 2010 (Completed)
« Topic Start: February 19, 2010, 09:14:36 PM »
We're going to take a slightly different tack this time, and spend an hour with MASN Nats beat writer Ben Goessling, who until year end was covering the Nats for the Washington Times, before that paper pulled the plug on its sports section at the end of 2009.

Ben quickly landed at MASN, and is sure to represent a significant upgrade to that organization's coverage of the Nats.

Feel free to post questions or discussion ideas here, in advance of the chat.  We'll open up a new thread on Tuesday for the chat itself, but Ben will be reading this thread to get ideas and prepare for our session.  And quite obviously, this is a chance for you to have some input into the sorts of things you'd want Ben to cover in his work this season.

Ben's reports on the Nats can be found here:    http://masnsports.com/masnblogs/ben-goessling/

A brief bio from Ben-

I'm in my third year covering the Nationals, my first at MASN, doing a job that's been a dream of mine since I was a kid. I used to stockpile copies of Sports Illustrated in my bedroom, reading them as much for the writing as for the subject. I was interested in these writers who probed beyond the games and found more in them than a three-hour contest. I decided in high school I wanted to major in journalism, work for a newspaper and be a beat writer covering a professional sports team.

I went to the University of Minnesota, double-majored in accounting and journalism partly as a concession to my mother, who expressed concerns I didn't have a fallback plan in case newspapers proved not to be a steady source of income (imagine that!). I covered hockey and football at the Minnesota Daily, covered the Twins for the St. Paul Pioneer Press as an intern and the Orioles for the Washington Times when I interned there during the summer of 2004.

After a couple years at the Star Tribune in Minneapolis, where I covered preps and general news, my dream finally came true when the Times hired me  to cover the Nationals before the 2008 season. When the paper shut down its sports section at the end of 2009, I was blessed enough to get a job at MASN, where I'm continuing to do what I love.

My biggest passions as a journalist have little to do with the games -- perhaps as a hazard of my journalism/accounting background, I love doing the kinds of big-picture stories that discuss trends and issues in sports, and often get into the business side of the games. But my main goal, on a daily basis, is to leave readers smarter than I've found them. That's what I've said I wanted to do since I got into this business -- write stories that inform and educate my audience, and leave them with something to chew on. I don't always get there, but I'm thrilled it's my daily mission to try.

Offline Minty Fresh

• Mantra of the SSS
Re: Ben Goessling live chat - Tuesday Feb 23, 8:00 PM
« Reply #1: February 20, 2010, 09:42:32 AM »
Ben:

A lot of questions are going to be asked about the current roster of Nationals, but I'd like to see what you think the Nats will do with the #1 overall pick in the June draft.  Are Rizzo/Kasten still looking to bolster the pitching or are we looking at a position player?  What do you feel would best help the team in the long term?

Thanks for reaching out directly to the fans, Ben.  Takes a lot of moxie in this day and age.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: February 20, 2010, 10:59:40 AM »
Yesterday evening on XM 175, former GM Jim Bowden, in response to a caller's question, was emphatic in stating that the issue of Guzman vs. Desmond for starting SS this season should be settled in the field in spring training, and that if Desmond outplayed Guzman, he should without doubt be the starting Nats shortstop.  He said that the compensation due Guzman should not be a factor in the decision on whom to play.

Aside from shortstop, the Nats don't have a lot of field positions up for competion - backup and utility fielders would be about it.  On the pitching staff, however, there will be fierce competition for the 2-3 available starter slots, and for bullpen openings.

I could see that Scott Olsen might struggle for a while, but recieve the benefit of a non-performance bias due to the fact he's recovering from an injury, and might be perceived as having more upside than say JD Martin.

So my question is related to this.  To what extent will the Nats allow competition for the few open spots to be decided by play on the field in ST, vs. by other factors - ie remaining options, relative compensation, perceived upside, etc.?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: February 20, 2010, 11:24:23 AM »
Your hiring by MASN to cover the Nats (exclusively?) definitely represents a step up on level of attention paid to our team.  However, MASN is only broadcasting 4 spring training/preseason games in all (NESN is broadcasting 9 Red Sox games, by comparison)

MASN is also going to be broadcasting Nats games in HD this season.

What else can you tell us regarding the level of coverage provided by MASN to the Nats this year, that might be of interest to us?  For example, will you be posting short video interviews or features from ST? 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #4: February 20, 2010, 12:12:48 PM »
When will FiOS have MASN2 HD? :stir:

Offline saltydad

« Reply #5: February 20, 2010, 02:54:15 PM »

And in this vein, when will Dish Network carry any MASN-HD games?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Next year, maybe?
« Reply #6: February 20, 2010, 03:21:46 PM »

100% Yes. I will throw a nag fit if this isn't taken care of before the season begins!

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #7: February 20, 2010, 04:49:15 PM »
And in this vein, when will Dish Network carry any MASN-HD games?
Not to get too side tracked here, but I wouldn't bank on that happening.  MLB and Dish have a pretty bad relationship as I understand things.  Meaning that the only to get out of market games is through the MLB Extra Innings package.  One of the main reasons, well, the biggest reason actually, I went with directv over dish.

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
« Reply #8: February 20, 2010, 09:08:16 PM »
I'd like to turn the tables a little bit and ask a question to all of you, if I could. We're trying to figure out the best way to do Twitter at MASN (my account is http://twitter.com/masnnats, by the way), and I told my bosses I'd pose the question to the fans and see what they say. Here's how it currently works: I post observations, commentary or whatever else comes to my mind on the Twitter account, but we also have an automated feed via TwitterFeed that generates a tweet every time Kristen Hudak, Byron Kerr, Phil Wood or I post a blog entry on our website. Is that working for you, or would you prefer there to be an automated Nats feed separate from my Twitter account?

We're definitely interested in some input on that, as well as other things you'd like to see from our coverage. So if I can hijack a small part of this chat (and the thread that leads up to it) to discuss some of that stuff, I'd appreciate it. Help me help you.  :)

Thanks!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #9: February 20, 2010, 09:22:18 PM »
Ben,

Any chance you could get someone at MASN to address my input regarding our site link on the MASN page as posted in the comments here (username: Chief) - http://masnsports.com/2010/01/chat-with-drew-storen.html

:pray: :thumbs:

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
I'd like to turn the tables a little bit and ask a question to all of you, if I could. We're trying to figure out the best way to do Twitter at MASN (my account is http://twitter.com/masnnats, by the way), and I told my bosses I'd pose the question to the fans and see what they say. Here's how it currently works: I post observations, commentary or whatever else comes to my mind on the Twitter account, but we also have an automated feed via TwitterFeed that generates a tweet every time Kristen Hudak, Byron Kerr, Phil Wood or I post a blog entry on our website. Is that working for you, or would you prefer there to be an automated Nats feed separate from my Twitter account?

We're definitely interested in some input on that, as well as other things you'd like to see from our coverage. So if I can hijack a small part of this chat (and the thread that leads up to it) to discuss some of that stuff, I'd appreciate it. Help me help you.  :)

Thanks!
There should definitely be a separate feed that contains the auto update stuff.  Or MASNnats could be for the auto updates and you could make your own account.  Having everything on one gets a little confusing as to who exactly is posting. 

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
I think Kristen passed it along, but it's obviously not fixed yet. I'll mention it again -- looks like there are a couple links on there that need to be updated.

Offline UMDNats

I think a separate feed for links to stories, posts, etc would be nice. Then you and Kristen/Byron/Phil can have your own accounts and post whatever you want - random comments, thoughts, updates, breaking news.

Offline blue911

Let me get this straight, Ben moves to DC, the Nats have back-to-back 100 lose seasons and his newspaper folds?

Have you ever considered covering the Mets?

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
Thanks for joining us , Ben! :thumbs:

During the early parts of their MLB careers, which current or former MLB pitchers remind you the most of  Collin Balester, Matt Chico, Garrett Mock, Craig Stammen, JD Martin and Stephen Strasburg?

This could give the Nats fan base a target as to how these guys could turn out.

Example: Ryan Zimmerman has been compared to Brooks Robinson.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Next year, maybe?
Ben, did you ever decide on a music playlist for your trip?

Offline Ben Goessling

• The Goessling Game
Haven't had time to get around to it yet, to be honest. I'm probably going to start diving into the music suggestions tonight and checking some stuff out.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I had promised Ben a link to his MASN space, have added it to my original intro post, but for those of you who skip my  :blah:, here it is again:

http://masnsports.com/masnblogs/ben-goessling/

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Ben - First, thanks.  I'm sorry to say I may be one of the reasons your old paper dropped sports.  I don't read the Times, so I didn't often read you (except when linkd here or at NJ).  good luck on your new beat.

With an accounting background, what is your take on sabermetric analyses?  do you use them in your reporting? Are they understandable enough to help you tell readers something about the game or are they niche / jargon that just mess up the story?  Check my signature line.

Offline PatsNats28

I read all his articles through the Google Reader bunder.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
  I don't read the Times, so I didn't often read you (except when linkd here or at NJ). 

For me this is one underlying motivation for this chat - for those of us not familiar with what Ben can bring to the table, a chance to get to know him better, a reintroduction of sorts.  In my view, we aren't exactly awash in media coverage of the Nats, all the more reason to try to best leverage what we get.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Ben, it seems MASN is focusing a bit on the writing for the website, etc. Seems like a different approach from say CSN. Can you elaborate on this strategy? Seems the blended approach is really great.

Offline GMUNat

Is it possible that you tell MASN to not show the camera angle from behind home plate on important pitches? I actually want to see what is going on with the normal camera instead of having to view the game from a fan's perspective behind home plate.

Online sportsfan882

Is it possible that you tell MASN to not show the camera angle from behind home plate on important pitches? I actually want to see what is going on with the normal camera instead of having to view the game from a fan's perspective behind home plate.
Yes, this please. I can't stand when they do that.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Ben - Besides Strasburg, Storen, and Lannan, which pitchers drafted, developed by and still with the team have gotten the most interest in MLB, either as guys talked about in trades or as guys you here people say "he's got a chance to be good"?