Author Topic: Piracy > Legitimacy  (Read 1483 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Piracy > Legitimacy
« Topic Start: February 18, 2010, 01:57:15 PM »
I don't necessarily advocate piracy, but this is so true:

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: Piracy > Legitimacy
« Reply #1: February 18, 2010, 03:36:21 PM »
you know....they have a point.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2: February 18, 2010, 03:37:58 PM »
iTunes.

I don't buy any DVDs or CDs anymore. Books I like.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #3: February 18, 2010, 03:39:59 PM »
Netflix streaming through ROKU

There is really a lot of stuff there

Offline The Chief

« Reply #4: February 18, 2010, 03:40:35 PM »
iTunes.

I don't buy any DVDs or CDs anymore. Books I like.

Can't say I ever see myself buying e-books in place of the real thing, but I freely admit to using iTunes.  They aren't perfect either, but for as little music as I listen to, it's a lot more convenient than buying discs or pirating, and the removal of DRM (aside from ID tags, ahem) on most of what they sell now is a big step in the right direction.

Netflix streaming through ROKU

There is really a lot of stuff there

Probably okay for movies you never plan to watch again, but I'd want the quality of DVD/BD if I were going for a keeper.  It's just that I'd rip the movie and put the disc in storage.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #5: February 18, 2010, 03:41:15 PM »
i don't mind pirating movies, but i am vehemently against pirating video games.

totally different medium that doesn't warrant it in any way.

i've yet to hear a decent argument for pirating games. i've heard plenty of decent argument for pirating movies, such as the pic chief posted.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #6: February 18, 2010, 03:43:01 PM »
Can't say I ever see myself buying e-books in place of the real thing, but I freely admit to using iTunes.  They aren't perfect either, but for as little music as I listen to, it's a lot more convenient than buying discs or pirating, and the removal of DRM (aside from ID tags, ahem) on most of what they sell now is a big step in the right direction.

Actually, I think Amazon had movies down better. Try one of the free rentals or weekly sale rentals sometime. None of the crap in that flowchart is present. iTunes has more HD content, but the SD stuff looks far better than progressive scan DVD.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #7: February 18, 2010, 03:44:02 PM »

i've yet to hear a decent argument for pirating games.

same as the argument for everything else 1. they are free and 2. more convienent (don't have to go to a store or wait for disks to come in the mail)

Offline The Chief

« Reply #8: February 18, 2010, 03:47:01 PM »
i don't mind pirating movies, but i am vehemently against pirating video games.

totally different medium that doesn't warrant it in any way.

i've yet to hear a decent argument for pirating games. i've heard plenty of decent argument for pirating movies, such as the pic chief posted.

I'd like to preface this by saying I generally haven't and don't pirate games, but if you really want to know what I consider to be some good justifications for doing so, I'm prepared to explain.  Keep in mind most of them are "case by case" examples and not meant to be applied with a broad stroke.

Actually, I think Amazon had movies down better. Try one of the free rentals or weekly sale rentals sometime. None of the crap in that flowchart is present. iTunes has more HD content, but the SD stuff looks far better than progressive scan DVD.

Huh?  Did you quote the wrong person?  I would never buy video online, and iTunes SD content is most certainly NOT better quality than a full DVD rip unless they've dramatically improved in the last year.

Long and short of it - if I pay for something, I want a physical copy.  iTunes music is my one exception to that rule because it no longer has DRM.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #9: February 18, 2010, 03:51:05 PM »
You can't nag about all the crappy features of Blu Ray if you aren't willing to explore legal alternatives. You can get HD quality video online, and Amazon is giving away digital copies of movies with some Blu Ray purchases.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #10: February 18, 2010, 03:52:42 PM »
same as the argument for everything else 1. they are free and 2. more convienent (don't have to go to a store or wait for disks to come in the mail)

1 I don't think "its free" is a good enough reason to pirate anything, on its own.

2 is crap with the advent of digital distribution.  very little pirating goes on with consoles(as far as I know, most pirating is for PC Games), and nobody buys PC Games in the store anymore, it's all download purchases.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #11: February 18, 2010, 03:54:19 PM »
I get the Barbershop edition of movies that I've seen but don't feel like waiting for the DVD to come out to watch again. I believe in supporting the Official Barbershop Side Hustle every once in a while.

for example, I saw Avatar in the theatres. don't feel like waiting 8 months for the dvd, so I watched it again last night.

but I'm not like the stereotypical person the Movie Industry shows in those anti-piracy commercials, sitting in a deep, dark basement with a pile of illegal copies of every movie ever made and a sinister grin. :rofl:

« Reply #12: February 18, 2010, 04:01:21 PM »
Frankly, if I work hard on something be it a movie, book or video game to make a living and some jack off steals it, I'd be pretty pissed. I don't advocate any sort of piracy.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #13: February 18, 2010, 04:07:25 PM »
You can't nag about all the crappy features of Blu Ray if you aren't willing to explore legal alternatives. You can get HD quality video online, and Amazon is giving away digital copies of movies with some Blu Ray purchases.

Buy disc.  Rip with AnyDVD/HD - removing all annoying crap in the process - and transcode as you see fit.  That's my solution.  Yes it takes time, but to me, it's well worth it.  Granted, I only own a few movies, because most of what Hollywood puts out anymore is crap.  I'll nag all I want to.

and nobody buys PC Games in the store anymore, it's all download purchases.

I'm sure Valve would like everyone to think so, but this is very far from the truth.

work hard

Key words :lol:

I'm much more inclined to monetarily support movies, games, or music that I feel isn't a blatant money-grab regurgitated by another **AA-backed studio.  Fortunately there's really no moral dilemma for me as I simply find the vast majority of products available these days to be utter crap and don't want them for pay or for free.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #14: February 18, 2010, 04:18:39 PM »
The downside with downloadable movies is that I can't burn them to a dvd.  If I buy a song on iTunes, I can burn it to a CD to listen to it in my car or CD player at work.  If I buy a movie, I can watch it on my computer or buy an Apple TV to watch it on my TV. 

There isn't enough portability.  If I want to go to a friends house and bring the movie, I can't just burn it onto a DVD and bring it, I'd have to tote my computer and cables to hook it up or an Apple TV or whatever.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #15: February 18, 2010, 04:21:02 PM »
The downside with downloadable movies is that I can't burn them to a dvd.  If I buy a song on iTunes, I can burn it to a CD to listen to it in my car or CD player at work.  If I buy a movie, I can watch it on my computer or buy an Apple TV to watch it on my TV. 

There isn't enough portability.  If I want to go to a friends house and bring the movie, I can't just burn it onto a DVD and bring it, I'd have to tote my computer and cables to hook it up or an Apple TV or whatever.

With amazon, you log into your account and then stream it on their TV or computer. They are working for open authorization. But that's a valid complaint.

There's a reason there's no HD-in DVD recorders. They haven't decided how to handle these issues, and it's coming to a head. Wang.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #16: February 18, 2010, 04:24:13 PM »
All my movies go anywhere I want them to

It's not perfect, but it's the best compromise of quality, portability, and control that I've seen thus far.  The most annoying thing to me about media these days is that there are too damn many portals, DRM schemes, and codecs, and nobody wants to agree on anything, which leaves DVD as the "safe" fallback even after all these years.  I doubt we'll ever see the kind of market penetration that DVD has/had again.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #17: February 18, 2010, 04:26:35 PM »
With amazon, you log into your account and then stream it on their TV or computer. They are working for open authorization. But that's a valid complaint.

There's a reason there's no HD-in DVD recorders. They haven't decided how to handle these issues, and it's coming to a head. Wang.
Yes, but then they have to have high speed internet and a good computer.  What about my friend that lives in the boonies with no access to broadband and a crawling 4 year old Dell?

I suppose if there are any non drm'd places to download movies I could copy it to a USB pen drive and play it on the PS3.  But it is still an issue that stands in the way of me switching to a digital distribution system for movies.  I don't buy CDs anymore, but for movies, I will continue to buy the DVDs and rip them to my computer.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #18: February 18, 2010, 06:53:14 PM »
I pirate music because I'm mad that Apple made songs $1.29. Although I will buy those Haiti fundraiser songs.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #19: February 18, 2010, 06:55:08 PM »
I pirate music because I'm mad that Apple made songs $1.29. Although I will buy those Haiti fundraiser songs.

Be an informed consumer. Try Amazon, Lala, Shockhound, 7digital, etc etc etc. Won't be 1.29

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #20: February 18, 2010, 06:59:28 PM »
any of them cost less than 1 dollar?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #21: February 18, 2010, 07:27:37 PM »
Yes

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #22: February 18, 2010, 07:31:19 PM »
which

Offline PANatsFan

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #24: February 18, 2010, 07:38:37 PM »