Author Topic: Google Thread  (Read 40152 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Google Thread
« Topic Start: October 30, 2009, 10:47:15 AM »
Chrome + Extensions = WIN, finally.

loving it.

Offline JMW IV

Re: Google Thread
« Reply #1: November 01, 2009, 04:31:05 AM »
any of you guys ever check out Google Sidewiki?

if not, while you are viewing this forum, click on your Sidewiki button, if you have the most updated version of Google Toolbar.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #2: November 02, 2009, 09:43:18 AM »
Adblock+ for Chrome! *happydance*

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #3: November 02, 2009, 10:02:29 AM »
Adblock+ for Chrome! *happydance*

Welcome to 200...4?  5? :P

But in all seriousness, while I don't begrudge anyone their choice of browser, I honestly don't see what it is about Chrome that some people are so fanatical for it.  I keep the de-googl-ized version (SRWare Iron) on my machines for specific secondary uses as it does a couple of things better (privacy mode, sandboxing) but overall I don't see it as being any more than "about as good as" Firefox, and that's WITH adblock.  Any modern browser without some method of adblocking is automatically inferior in my book.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #4: November 02, 2009, 10:35:47 AM »
well, I've been using Privoxy while waiting for Chrome to support extensions. so I mean, i still never saw any ads, but my adblocker just wasn't built into Chrome like the Adblock Extension is.

now that it does, and its got adblock, I can take privoxy down.

it may not seem this way to you, but to me, Chrome is much faster in loading pages than firefox. plus it boots faster. I also like the "Open as an Application" function, and I make liberal use of it for my web apps, and i like the aesthetics of the browser.  imo, extensions was the only thing holding Chrome back from being a better web browser than firefox.

I like Chrome better than Firefox, but I would easily recommend Firefox as well to any user. as long as it gets them off IE. Both Chrome and Firefox are quality browsers. it's just a matter of personal preference really.

but for me, Firefox was my primary browser, now that Chrome has extensions, Firefox is my backup browser.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #5: November 05, 2009, 08:30:11 AM »
wanna see everything Google knows about you?

go here:

google.com/dashboard

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #6: November 05, 2009, 11:59:00 PM »
HELL YEAH! my google wave invite finally came. cant wait to get home from work to try it

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #7: November 06, 2009, 12:00:08 AM »
HELL YEAH! my google wave invite finally came. cant wait to get home from work to try it
Damn, I never got mine :evil:

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #8: November 06, 2009, 12:04:00 AM »
i traded someone a google voice invite for a wave invite.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #9: November 06, 2009, 01:12:38 AM »
SWEEEEEEET. this thing is going to be awesome as hell once everything is up and running and they get the kinks ironed out.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #10: November 06, 2009, 04:46:39 AM »
SWEEEEEEET. this thing is going to be awesome as hell once everything is up and running and they get the kinks ironed out.
I hate you.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #11: November 06, 2009, 08:40:02 AM »

Care to tell us what it actually does? :lol:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #12: November 06, 2009, 10:11:13 AM »

IMO, It's going to replace skype as the way for people to collaborate globally, especially if they integrate Google Talk. For working closely with someone who is far away, it is ideal. Once they fix the terrible, terrible lag.

You can have a conversation thread, add someone in, and the can play the conversation back in order, or view the whole thing. You can embed pictures, documents, search Google from a Wave, add video. I thought it was worthless at first blush and now I can't stop thinking of new ways to use it. It's a big win. Google Voice and Wave have brought me back on the bandwagon. I even migrated to Google Calendar :shock:

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #13: November 06, 2009, 10:11:54 AM »

Its a mix of EMail, IM, Chat and Social Media.

You make "Waves" that are like Global IM conversations or message board threads that you can edit in realtime. You can insert your chat anywhere in the Wave you want(rather than at the end or in a reply), and you can insert Gadgets(extensions) Pics, Audio, and Video in them as well.

You manage your Waves with an email interface that's similar to GMail.  and you can add anyone from a Wave to your Contacts list, in order to start Chat Waves with them, like an Instant Messenger.

You can also add extensions(called Gadgets) and "robots" to your Google Wave interface that do various things. I haven't quite figured out the "Bots" yet, but I found a Twitter Gardget that allows me to access Twitter from inside Google Wave, just as an Example. apparently there are also gadgets for small games like sodoku and chess and such too.

that's what I've got so far, still gotta play with it a bit to get the hang of things.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #14: November 06, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
IMO, It's going to replace skype as the way for people to collaborate globally, especially if they integrate Google Talk. For working closely with someone who is far away, it is ideal. Once they fix the terrible, terrible lag.

You can have a conversation thread, add someone in, and the can play the conversation back in order, or view the whole thing. You can embed pictures, documents, search Google from a Wave, add video. I thought it was worthless at first blush and now I can't stop thinking of new ways to use it. It's a big win. Google Voice and Wave have brought me back on the bandwagon. I even migrated to Google Calendar :shock:

PA, what is your Wave address, so I can add you to contacts?

also, I am trying to figure out if my Wave address can actually function as an Email address...

and yeah, Wave is pretty laggy, especially when you do a search that comes up with a lot of results and/or you have an especially long wave, scrolling through everything is a pain then.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #15: November 06, 2009, 09:21:59 PM »
hey PA - there are people working on a Robot to allow us to send and receive Emails from within Wave.

http://emaily.dlux.hu/

very early in development though.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #16: November 06, 2009, 09:28:50 PM »
a nice Google Wave basics guide.

http://mashable.com/2009/05/28/google-wave-guide/

I found it pretty helpful.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #17: November 07, 2009, 01:52:35 AM »
Awesome JMad - I really want a "sandbox" account to dork around with, install all kinds of robots and gadgets on. I might invite myself, but I feel crappy doing that.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #18: November 07, 2009, 03:59:59 AM »
Screw all of you with your waves.  Google didn't want to give me one, so fine, screw it :razz:

:lol:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #19: November 07, 2009, 08:16:58 AM »
I don't need one of these newfangled wave diddlies, get off my lawn you damn kids!

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #20: November 07, 2009, 05:28:55 PM »
I cannot stand surfers. Hang 10 dude. Damn you too Google.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #21: November 10, 2009, 11:01:36 PM »
http://www.chromeexperiments.com/

Pretty cool site.  A lot of the things run fine in Firefox too, but some of them are really slow in Firefox, but run buttery smooth in Chrome due to the JavaScript engine they use.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #22: November 10, 2009, 11:03:50 PM »
http://www.chromeexperiments.com/

Pretty cool site.  A lot of the things run fine in Firefox too, but some of them are really slow in Firefox, but run buttery smooth in Chrome due to the JavaScript engine they use.

They use the same engine, largely.  At worst, Firefox is usually a point-release or two behind Chrome (and that's only if you're counting non-stable releases of Chrome)

Offline Nathan

« Reply #23: November 10, 2009, 11:13:19 PM »
They use the same engine, largely.  At worst, Firefox is usually a point-release or two behind Chrome (and that's only if you're counting non-stable releases of Chrome)
V8 and SpiderMonkey are related?  I didn't know that.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #24: November 10, 2009, 11:18:34 PM »
Question: how do I bookmark a page in Chrome? In firefox my bookmarks toolbar had less space (mostly because the names were longer and I just made them smaller) and now I want to add more websites to my toolbar.