Author Topic: Google Thread  (Read 41030 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Google Thread
« Reply #650: July 17, 2011, 09:42:58 PM »
I'm trying out Chrome and so far it's nice. Anyone know of any apps/extensions that are good for it?

Notscript :worship:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #651: July 18, 2011, 07:28:39 PM »
Google Music is nice so far :clap:

One problem is that 250 songs of mine are old iTunes files in m4p format. Any suggestions on how I can change these? It looks like there are DRMs in these and stopping them from being uploaded to Google Music. Thanks, Apple. freaking hipster tools.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #652: July 18, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
Greetings everyone... Remember me?

According to my Wave base page, I still have 25 invites I can send out to friends. But since I'm new to Wave, I have no contacts in the contact area. Time will help me build those up. I just need to learn more about it.

From what I see so far, JMW is right, in that it will be a combination of many things...

So if anyone wants me to send them an invite, private message me and I'll be glad to send you one.

Happy Waving everyone

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #653: July 18, 2011, 07:44:03 PM »
Greetings everyone... Remember me?

According to my Wave base page, I still have 25 invites I can send out to friends. But since I'm new to Wave, I have no contacts in the contact area. Time will help me build those up. I just need to learn more about it.

From what I see so far, JMW is right, in that it will be a combination of many things...

So if anyone wants me to send them an invite, private message me and I'll be glad to send you one.

Happy Waving everyone

By Wave you mean Plus? Wave was awesome but it is dead.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #654: July 18, 2011, 07:55:54 PM »
Unless I'm missing or doing something wrong, Google+ is God awful ugly. Wave made much more sense. But then again, I'm simply minded

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #655: July 18, 2011, 08:03:44 PM »
Unless I'm missing or doing something wrong, Google+ is God awful ugly. Wave made much more sense. But then again, I'm simply minded

I used wave for work and it was incredibly useful.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #656: July 19, 2011, 12:42:35 AM »
Google Music is nice so far :clap:

One problem is that 250 songs of mine are old iTunes files in m4p format. Any suggestions on how I can change these? It looks like there are DRMs in these and stopping them from being uploaded to Google Music. Thanks, Apple. freaking hipster tools.
That's not entirely Apple's fault.  Blame the labels.  In fact Steve Jobs once wrote an open letter asking the music industry to abolish DRM and allow them to license music without the need for including DRM.

In any case, what do you use, Mac or PC?  There are programs that can strip DRM or an easy method, if they are full albums, is to burn each and then re-import to iTunes as mp3.

Offline eckseid

« Reply #657: July 19, 2011, 12:37:03 PM »
The Google+ iPhone app is finally out. Looks to only be compatible with the iPhone though. So no iPad/iPod support yet.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google/id447119634?ls=1&mt=8

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #658: July 19, 2011, 02:16:13 PM »
G+ would have been great if it came out before Facebook, but now I just don't see the need.

And I was one of the early users of Orkut.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #659: July 19, 2011, 02:28:52 PM »
That's not entirely Apple's fault.  Blame the labels.  In fact Steve Jobs once wrote an open letter asking the music industry to abolish DRM and allow them to license music without the need for including DRM.

In any case, what do you use, Mac or PC?  There are programs that can strip DRM or an easy method, if they are full albums, is to burn each and then re-import to iTunes as mp3.

PC. I found that you can buy an "upgraded" version from iTunes for 30 cents a pop but no thanks.

What are the programs that can do it?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #660: July 19, 2011, 02:56:39 PM »
Google (heh) for "Strip iTunes DRM" and you should find a few.  I know there is one that creates a virtual CD burner and "burns" each song then re-imports it.  I think it is the one I recommended to Chief a while back I don't know how well it worked for him.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net

Offline The Chief

« Reply #662: July 22, 2011, 11:06:54 AM »
Notscript :worship:

Quote from: my friend
(11:04:43 AM) : Notscripts for chrome is terrible.
(11:05:18 AM) : No context menu options.  You have to go to the config page to whitelist a domain.

:poke:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #663: July 24, 2011, 10:31:18 AM »
Google is determined to freak this up:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/violetblue/google-plus-deleting-accounts-en-masse-no-clear-answers/567

A striking number of Google+ accounts have been deleted in the last 24 hours as the new social network struggles with its community standards policy around real names - alienating and frightening the people it aims to serve.

It raised a chilling spectre in the background about what happens, exactly, when Google suspends your account.

Bill Noble writes,

To be clear, the stories we’re hearing so far are of people being suddenly frozen out of EVERYTHING, all their data and resources, not just one or a few Google functions. Given who we early adopters are, even a few more days of this unreasonable behavior could abort the whole G+ effort.

Meanwhile, this chilling post is making the rounds on tech messageboards today:

Dear Google, I would like to bring to your attention a few things before I disconnect permanently from all of your services.

On July 15 2011 you turned off my entire Google account. You had absolutely no reason to do this, despite your automated message telling me your system “perceived a violation.” I did not violate any Terms of Service, either Google’s or account specific ToS, and your refusal to provide me with any proof otherwise makes me absolutely certain of this. And I would like to bring to your attention how much damage your carelessness has done.

My Google account was tied to nearly every product Google has developed, meaning that I lost everything in those accounts as well. I was also in the process of consolidating everything into my one Google account. (…)

To say that this issue is deeply concerning is an understatement to anyone and everyone that has their businesses and personal lives tied to Google services and have an interest in participating in Google+

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #664: July 24, 2011, 10:18:44 PM »
:poke:

Your friend doesn't know how to use notscript. There's a little pyramid in the corner which functions like the NoScript menus but better. There's controversies with NoScript and how they might be whitelisting their products.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #665: July 24, 2011, 10:20:27 PM »
There's controversies with NoScript and how they might be whitelisting their products.

Those controversies are two years old and harmless, only parroted by bitter fools and know-nothings.  NoScript is an A+ product a boon for security and privacy on the web.

As for your claims about NotScript, I have passed your challenge along to my friend and will post his response :P

Offline The Chief

« Reply #666: July 25, 2011, 11:22:16 AM »
IV. Google's Response

Thus far Google seems to be holding firm.  "Infrastructure engineer" Gothwam S, writes:

Hi everyone,

We've seen some complaints regarding profile suspensions, and I want to let you know how to solve this problem. Typically this problem occurs when you edit your name in a way that we no longer accept. In these situations, you may find that your name requires review to confirm that it complies with our Community Standards:

When creating or updating your Google Profile, you may find that your entered name requires review to confirm that it complies with our Community Standards:

1) You’ll be prompted to request a review during the sign-up flow, this will lead to it being reviewed by our team.

2) After 24 hours, your profile will either be live or require further appeal.
    3) To request further appeal, click on the link to our appeal form from your Google Profile. Here, you can provide additional information to support the claim that you are using a name in compliance with our policy.

4) Once you file the second appeal your profile will be handled via 1-to-1 communication with Google.

To ensure the success of your appeal, please make sure you are adhering to our Community Standards:

http://www.dailytech.com/Google+Plays+Name+Police+Conducts+Baffling+Censorship+Crusade/article22238.htm

Offline The Chief

« Reply #667: July 25, 2011, 11:23:18 AM »
So glad I did not sign up for this garbage.  Google has made some arguably innocent booboos in the past, but this one takes the cake and seems much more blatant.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #668: July 25, 2011, 11:29:48 AM »

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #669: July 25, 2011, 11:31:14 AM »
All of these "social networks" are garbage...

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #670: July 26, 2011, 11:45:02 PM »
Google (heh) for "Strip iTunes DRM" and you should find a few.  I know there is one that creates a virtual CD burner and "burns" each song then re-imports it.  I think it is the one I recommended to Chief a while back I don't know how well it worked for him.

Thanks for the help. Everything I've found is just a free trial. Any idea if there's anything that's completely free?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #671: July 27, 2011, 11:25:15 PM »
really enjoying google+ so far. needs less tech geek and business chatter and more normal people stuff though. i suppose that will come as google opens things up to more of the public. also it offer to have a Facebook connect like login capability for other sites. but overall i have not touched my Facebook or twitter in quite some time since i got google+

Offline PC

« Reply #672: July 29, 2011, 04:43:44 AM »

The irony of ironies is that this is a youtube video.  :)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #673: July 29, 2011, 10:57:22 AM »

The irony of ironies is that this is a youtube video.  :)

GMail > Any Web App Microsoft will ever come up with.