Author Topic: The Garage  (Read 92351 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: The Garage
« Reply #150: March 13, 2010, 04:26:58 PM »
Oh, that makes a lot more sense.  For decades we get the crappiest looking cars while the Europeans get the good ones.  FINALLY Ford is waking up to that. 

I know the 2010 Focus is a big seller, has many attributes, but it's got econobox written all over its looks.

:spaz:   :razz:
(Image removed from quote.)

American model, I guess. Only put it 7 dollars of gas for the whole weekend.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #151: March 13, 2010, 04:29:07 PM »
I've heard rumors of a 1.6l Eco-boost (turbo) engine for the next Focus that should top 40 mpg.

I have a Mazda 3, which is based on the previous C1 platform of the Euro Focus, and I can tell you that they handle very well ;)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #152: March 13, 2010, 04:34:40 PM »
I've heard rumors of a 1.6l Eco-boost (turbo) engine for the next Focus that should top 40 mpg.

I have a Mazda 3, which is based on the previous C1 platform of the Euro Focus, and I can tell you that they handle very well ;)

I like great handling, decent acceleration, and reasonable fuel economy.  I also like quiet so I can hear the stereo well without having to crank it up to hearing loss inducing levels.  So I don't go for any of those tuned exhaust things.  My old BMW fits the requirements, though it's expensive as hell to repair.

Here's pretty much what mine looks like, including the right color:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #153: March 14, 2010, 07:43:13 AM »
Has anyone experienced trouble with a Toyota ?

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #154: March 15, 2010, 05:43:06 AM »
No, but that's because I haven't bought one since, oh, I think the Celica!  :roll:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #155: March 15, 2010, 08:16:30 AM »
Has anyone experienced trouble with a Toyota ?

I drove a camry that had been my wife's since high school with no problems. We traded it in for a new Corolla that had the computer die while my wife was driving it.

Offline blue911

« Reply #156: March 15, 2010, 08:23:33 AM »
I drove a camry that had been my wife's since high school with no problems. We traded it in for a new Corolla that had the computer die while my wife was driving it.

You should have installed a Mac.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #157: March 15, 2010, 04:22:17 PM »
We have a 93 Geo Prizm, which is actually a Toyota Corolla made by Toyota for GM. Has 98 K miles. Had to have it jumped the other day as the battery died. When it started up, the tow driver remarked about how nice and peppy it sounded!

Offline Nathan

« Reply #158: March 15, 2010, 04:39:33 PM »
Yep, they've had a partnership for a while.  The Toyota Matrix was sold as the Pontiac Vibe.  Toyota sold the Cavalier in japan :lol:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #159: March 15, 2010, 04:40:57 PM »
Whoa :shock:

Weird.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #160: March 15, 2010, 05:31:06 PM »
When I was a kind we had a Chevy Nova from the joint venture and I had a prizm in high school - great cars. Unfortunately, the joint venture is dead

Toyota Motor Corp. is pulling the plug on a California assembly plant it owned jointly with the former General Motors Corp., marking the first time the Japanese car maker has been involved in closing a factory in the U.S.

Toyota's board voted Thursday to end production next March at the factory, known as New United Motor Manufacturing Inc. or Nummi. The plant, which makes about 400,000 vehicles a year, has mostly been a money-loser since Toyota and GM set up their partnership in 1984.

Atsushi Niimi, executive vice president of Toyota, said in a statement the company determined the plant can't be economically viable and "we deeply regret having to take this action."

The move reflects the troubles facing both GM and Toyota. Toyota's new chief executive, Akio Toyoda -- who once was general manager of Nummi -- needs to cut excess production capacity and end the losses that the company is expected to report for its second fiscal year in a row.

In July, as part of GM's federally funded bankruptcy, GM abandoned its ownership in Nummi. That put Toyota in the awkward position of determining the fate of the factory in Fremont, south of San Francisco, and its 4,700 union-represented workers.

"Closing facilities is not part of Toyota's DNA, but it shows the depths of the adjustment that this industry has to endure," said CSM Worldwide automotive analyst Michael Robinet.

Over the last decade, Toyota opened several factories across North America. When vehicle sales plummeted last year, Toyota curtailed manufacturing but continued to pay thousands of idled workers, costing the company millions of dollars. Toyota has indefinitely delayed the completion of a factory in Mississippi.

Struggling with excessive production capacity of 10 million vehicles a year, Toyota said this week it would halt an assembly line in Japan next year. The company also is considering suspending a line at a U.K. plant, a person familiar with the matter said.

Those cuts, along with Nummi, could trim Toyota's annual capacity by up to 700,000 vehicles. Nummi's pickup truck production will shift to a Toyota plant in San Antonio. Corolla car assembly will go to Cambridge, Ontario, and Japan.

Union officials, lawmakers and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger have appealed to Toyota to save the last auto plant in the state. California Assembly leader Alberto Torrico, a Democrat from Fremont, estimated that Nummi and companies that supply it result in 20,000 jobs and $1.4 billion in statewide payroll.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125140108628564449.html

Offline Nathan

« Reply #161: March 16, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
This Mini Roadster concept is hot

I'd rock one.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #162: March 17, 2010, 12:37:44 AM »
This is still my favorite of all my cars. (Note- car pictured is not mine!)

Offline Nathan

« Reply #163: March 17, 2010, 12:51:02 AM »
What is it?  A Triumph?

Offline saltydad

« Reply #164: March 17, 2010, 02:05:15 AM »
TR2

Offline Nathan

« Reply #165: March 17, 2010, 02:36:46 AM »
Ah.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #166: March 17, 2010, 08:15:26 AM »
Love those cars.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #167: March 18, 2010, 12:42:46 PM »
I've always loved the old deux chevaux:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #168: March 18, 2010, 01:40:23 PM »
I dunno. Doesn't this have "chick car" written all over it? I mean, I've driven a chick car. It's not an easy thing to get away with.

This Mini Roadster concept is hot

I'd rock one.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #169: March 18, 2010, 01:43:33 PM »
Holy crap. I knew GM sold rebadged Toyotas, but they actually sold Cavaliers in Japan? Maybe just a handful...

Yep, they've had a partnership for a while.  The Toyota Matrix was sold as the Pontiac Vibe.  Toyota sold the Cavalier in japan :lol:

Offline blue911

« Reply #170: March 18, 2010, 01:51:02 PM »
I dunno. Doesn't this have "chick car" written all over it? I mean, I've driven a chick car. It's not an easy thing to get away with.

Haven't you ever seen The Italian Job?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #171: March 18, 2010, 02:33:02 PM »

I guess, but I don't care.  I'd have no qualms driving a Miata either, and they are considered chick cars too.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #172: March 18, 2010, 02:55:57 PM »
I guess, but I don't care.  I'd have no qualms driving a Miata either, and they are considered chick cars too.

Completely a chick car.  Zero snarl factor.  Get one of the little BMW's if you want something with attitude.

Offline blue911

« Reply #173: March 18, 2010, 03:10:27 PM »
Completely a chick car.  Zero snarl factor.  Get one of the little BMW's if you want something with attitude.

Yeah, nothing says macho like a little BMW.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #174: March 18, 2010, 03:15:44 PM »

Yeah, nothing says macho like a little BMW.
:lmao:

I've never been one to worry about "image" when it comes to cars.  If I like the way it looks and drives, I couldn't care less about what other people think or who makes it.  Hyundai and Kia are starting to make some cars that I'd have no problem owning.