Author Topic: The Garage  (Read 92301 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: The Garage
« Reply #100: February 01, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
^^^Of course (@ PA), I'm just echoing HalfSmoke's question - why aren't they advising people to put it in neutral if this happens?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #101: February 01, 2010, 12:52:06 PM »
^^^Of course (@ PA), I'm just echoing HalfSmoke's question - why aren't they advising people to put it in neutral if this happens?

It's a very good question.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #102: February 01, 2010, 01:00:17 PM »
Some All of Natsaddict's snowbirds might tend to make that sort of error, but you'd think a cop would know the difference.

Corrected.

I'm thinking of putting a video cam in the car to record their sh*t.  What isn't horrifying is freakin' hilarious.  We had one run off the road, into a construction site, hit building somehow causing a crane to collapse this morning.  A1A has been closed since 7:00 this morning, and is still closed as the noon news signs off.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #103: February 03, 2010, 09:10:17 AM »
Now we have failing brakes on the Prius and the Government's not convinced the accelaration problem isn't related to the electronic throttle control.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=agrz8Ge80u1g

For a car company whose sole selling point is quality/reliability this can't be good for sales

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #104: February 03, 2010, 09:48:22 AM »
Steve Wozniak (Apple co-founder for those too young to recognize the name) blasting Toyota and NHTSA about the problems with his Prius:

Fora.tv

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #105: February 03, 2010, 10:46:29 AM »
I think it's funny that Steve Wozniak drives a Prius.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #106: February 03, 2010, 10:52:45 AM »
Sec. of Trans. says drivers of recalled Toyotas should stop driving them immediately, via MSNBC.com banner. Tell your friends.

Offline blue911

« Reply #107: February 03, 2010, 10:56:56 AM »
Sec. of Trans. says drivers of recalled Toyotas should stop driving them immediately, via MSNBC.com banner. Tell your friends.

Does said person explain how owners are supposed to get to freaking work? Or are they simply counting on all Americans being unemployed?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #108: February 03, 2010, 11:15:39 AM »

That sounds like an extreme overreaction to what probably still remains a fairly low risk. 

Offline The Chief

« Reply #109: February 03, 2010, 11:18:34 AM »
That sounds like an extreme overreaction to what probably still remains a fairly low risk. 

And yet still no advice regarding that mysterious 'N' on the shifter.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #110: February 03, 2010, 11:20:57 AM »
And yet still no advice regarding that mysterious 'N' on the shifter.

I'm guessing the problem may run even deeper. Toyota is in deep trouble.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #111: February 03, 2010, 11:23:49 AM »

Unless I'm behind the times, no amount of computer malfunction can stop neutral from working the way it should.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #112: February 03, 2010, 11:29:22 AM »
Unless I'm behind the times, no amount of computer malfunction can stop neutral from working the way it should.

Shifter, brake, ignition, probably accelerator are all connected these days.  Most cars won't start unless the car is in "park" and/or foot is on the brake.  Most prevent you from shifting into R when underway, or other such safety features.  It's not implausible that a computer controller could make some erroneous decisions on your behalf.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #113: February 03, 2010, 11:29:37 AM »

If Neutral won't work, then neither will the fix. If its just a sticking peddle Neutral will work. If its the electronics, Toyota is lying to its owners and really burying any chance of recovering from this long term.

Is there even a mechanical linkage between the shifter and the transmission on modern cars?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #114: February 03, 2010, 11:33:26 AM »
It's obviously not an easy problem to diagnose. 

The waters are always muddied by the occasional incident where someone stomps on the accelerator but swears up and down they had their foot on the brake.  Natsaddict can attest......

So when you mix in a fairly sizable user error rate, gleaning out the real defects can be tricky. 

Offline The Chief

« Reply #115: February 03, 2010, 11:35:15 AM »
Is there even a mechanical linkage between the shifter and the transmission on modern cars?

I drive stick, so for me, there's no question.  Not sure about automatics.  The last auto I drove was a '98 Honda.  Even then I really don't know.  Whether what I'm suggesting would work or not, all the silence about this whole thing is troubling.

Shifter, brake, ignition, probably accelerator are all connected these days.  Most cars won't start unless the car is in "park" and/or foot is on the brake.  Most prevent you from shifting into R when underway, or other such safety features.  It's not implausible that a computer controller could make some erroneous decisions on your behalf.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "connected" but if N is enforced mechanically, the computer wouldn't matter.  Like I said, I'm not that familiar with newer automatics.  I don't think Priuses even have a "real" shifter, just a knob that essentially works like a trio of buttons, so in that case, you may be right.

I guess I just want to know why the question hasn't at least been asked by someone in the mainstream media.  The scope of the problem is obviously huge, so finding and advertising possible life-saving workarounds should be a top priority until all vehicles have been fixed - which, let's face it, will probably be "never."

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #116: February 03, 2010, 04:29:33 PM »
So after I finally received the check from my truck being totaled after a Sherriff hit me, I went out and bought a new* used subaru legacy GT with 53k on it. It seems pretty nice so far, I really like the AWD in the winter and it gets 29 MPG highway. Not hard to beat my old truck, it didn't have heat, power locks, or windows.  :-[

Offline saltydad

« Reply #117: February 03, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
Can't beat Subaru for the money. They are reliable, safe and last forever. Just remember the water pump tends to go around 60K miles.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #118: February 03, 2010, 08:33:39 PM »
My Honda Civic has 145K on it.  Its a '97.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #119: February 03, 2010, 10:31:41 PM »
My brother's 97 honda civic has 330k miles on it and its still going strong, only repair we have ever had to do was change the timing belt every 100k. Those things literally run forever.

Offline blue911

« Reply #120: February 04, 2010, 07:01:25 AM »
I put over 250K on my Toaster before I decided to retire it.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #121: February 04, 2010, 08:48:45 AM »
I put over 250K on my Toaster before I decided to retire it.

Nice BMW, what year is that early 70's 750cc? I love motorcycles, especially "vintage" ones (to me anyways). I'm more of an Indian guy but I can appreciate other bikes.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #122: February 04, 2010, 09:03:13 AM »
The NYT story about Toyota is written by someone named "Michelene" :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #123: February 04, 2010, 09:30:59 AM »
Nice BMW, what year is that early 70's 750cc? I love motorcycles, especially "vintage" ones (to me anyways). I'm more of an Indian guy but I can appreciate other bikes.

My brother is restoring / having restored a 1929 Terrot.  He rediscovered it in the garage of his mother-in-law's house near Dijon, France, coverd in dust and partly disassembled.  Had it shipped back and is chipping away at it.  Using a Harley repair guy in the Waldorf area, who has the engine running already.  One of the tires held air.  The cycle had not been run since during WWII.  It's not an easy project, particularly since there are very very few in the US, hence no meaningful forum or group he can join.  He has joined a french forum but language is an issue.

Offline blue911

« Reply #124: February 04, 2010, 01:57:24 PM »

1972. That was the only year for that horrible chromesque tank and side panels (thus the Toaster nickname). But it was my "new" bike, the apple of my eye was a '62.