Author Topic: The Garage  (Read 92350 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: The Garage
« Reply #100: February 03, 2010, 11:35:15 AM »
Is there even a mechanical linkage between the shifter and the transmission on modern cars?

I drive stick, so for me, there's no question.  Not sure about automatics.  The last auto I drove was a '98 Honda.  Even then I really don't know.  Whether what I'm suggesting would work or not, all the silence about this whole thing is troubling.

Shifter, brake, ignition, probably accelerator are all connected these days.  Most cars won't start unless the car is in "park" and/or foot is on the brake.  Most prevent you from shifting into R when underway, or other such safety features.  It's not implausible that a computer controller could make some erroneous decisions on your behalf.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "connected" but if N is enforced mechanically, the computer wouldn't matter.  Like I said, I'm not that familiar with newer automatics.  I don't think Priuses even have a "real" shifter, just a knob that essentially works like a trio of buttons, so in that case, you may be right.

I guess I just want to know why the question hasn't at least been asked by someone in the mainstream media.  The scope of the problem is obviously huge, so finding and advertising possible life-saving workarounds should be a top priority until all vehicles have been fixed - which, let's face it, will probably be "never."