Author Topic: Red F*%#$ING Paint  (Read 328 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Red F*%#$ING Paint
« Topic Start: January 18, 2010, 12:00:29 PM »
Anyone here a painting expert?

The wife and I are trying to paint the MBR.  We had this disgusting wood paneling up (the REALLY cheap crap kind) and we put a coat of white primer on.  Since then, I have put FOUR coats of "cranberry splash" over the top of it and it just isn't drying evenly at all.  Since, I have heard from various sources that paints inthe red family can be a real pain-in-the-ass to work with (wish I had done my homework there...).

Anyone know any tricks for getting red paint to dry evenly?  I mean, other than painting over it with blue?     :?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Red F*%#$ING Paint
« Reply #1: January 18, 2010, 06:10:25 PM »
Try stirring it before you start painting.   :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Obed_Marsh

Re: Red F*%#$ING Paint
« Reply #2: January 18, 2010, 07:15:56 PM »
I'm not an expert but went through this once with a room in my Grandmother's house. I had to strip the failed attempt and do it this way. Some google searches will probably come up with more tips in getting this done. Granted, with how far along you are I don't know what to recommend.

Did you lightly sand the paneling before applying the primer? If not, it doesn't surprise me you are on the fourth coat of paint. Paneling is a awful pain in the ass to paint.

I don't really know what to recommend at this point but next time...
  • Clean the paneling with Trisodium phosphate (TSP).
  • Sand the paneling with 40 grit or so.
  • Apply primer, wait for manufacturer recommended drying time. I'd go oil or latex but just might be biased thinking it sticks better.
  • Now paint; probably still take a couple coats.