Author Topic: Ian Desmond Appreciation Thread  (Read 34693 times)

Offline amanuel

• what the hell is going on out there?
    • RBSL
Re: Ian Desmond Appreciation Thread
« Reply #425: September 13, 2012, 01:59:08 PM »
It's not the OBP.  .331 is mediocre, although it is about 30 points higher than his career. It's the SLG - .522 and the isolated power - .228 (SLG-BA).  That slugging is higher than all of our regulars, including RZ, Morse, and ALR.  It only trails Moore among Nats with over 50 plate appearances.  It leads all qualified MLB SS by over .070.  That is incredible (In contrast, his OBP is only 7th,  behind the likes of Jamey Carroll).  His ISO is not only the best for all shortstops, it is about 30th for qualified MLB position players, right around the ISO's for Mark Trumbo, Cody Ross, Carlos Beltran, Mark Reynolds, and Mark Teixera.  Those are some big boys he's bashing with.

Not saying his OBP is crazy good I understand that (i dont think its medicore either) . But like you mentioned its 30 points higher than his career number. As he continues to mature hopefully he gets it up to 340-360 range. Other than that all his numbers are just crazy good.

I think we're much more likely to see Desmond mash 40 home runs than Espinosa next year, just because he's flashed 30 HR power.  You realize those numbers are astronomical for middle infielders, right? 

Not disagreeing.  Exciting times.

As for Espionsa he showed he has power unlike Desmond, he hit 20+ last year. Just imagine if he makes the big jump like Desmond did this year, Espionsa could hit 30-40 next year :shock: