Author Topic: Drew Storen live chat - Jan 10, 2010 (Completed)  (Read 16376 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Drew Storen live chat - Jan 10, 2010 (Completed)
« Topic Start: January 10, 2010, 07:40:17 PM »
Taken with the 10th pick of the first round in the June 2009 MLB draft after starring for Stanford, Drew Storen signed with the Nats on the second day of the draft, and made his debut with the Low A Hagerstown Suns just over a week later.  He scarcely had arrived in Hagerstown, making 11 appearances before being promoted to Potomac, where he continued his dominance.  7 appearances later, he was promoted yet again to Harrisburg, where he once again blew away hitters while throwing 12 innings over 10 appearances, and giving up zero earned runs.

He followed up his minor league season with a highly successful Arizona Fall League season, and will be joining the Nats in Viera where he will be given serious consideration of making the 25 man roster.  Later this January, he will be making a number of appearances in the DC area as part of the traveling Nats Winter Caravan, and has graciously agreed to take questions from WNFF members for about an hour this evening.

Let's give Drew a hearty thanks for taking his time to join us, and why don't we lay down some questions for him to chew on when he joins us?

LINK TO POST-CHAT DISCUSSION - http://www.wnff.net/index.php/topic,16405.0.html

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Drew Storen live chat - Jan 10, 2010
« Reply #1: January 10, 2010, 07:41:58 PM »
From DPMOmaha:

What was your College World Series experience like?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #2: January 10, 2010, 07:43:41 PM »
JMad grooves one:

Outside of Baseball, do you follow any other sports? If so, which ones and what are you favorite teams?

Offline I can Throw

« Reply #3: January 10, 2010, 07:43:46 PM »
Drew,

Thanks for taking our questions.

First, what other sports did you play growing up?

Second, what are your favorite teams in the other sports?

Third, is Alex Ovechkin the best hockey player in the world?

Thanks

I can Throw

(Ps- if someone asks "why did you become a pitcher?" you respond "I can Throw!" - I'll send you a dollar every time you do say it, I either see or hear it (youtube is acceptable) (Up to 10 interviews per season - unless I get a new job)

====

From DPOmaha: Drew, if you take him  (I can throw) up on this, would it be your first endorsement deal?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: January 10, 2010, 07:44:52 PM »
Drew, several times in the last few days we've seen mention that the Nats might consider converting you to a starting pitcher.  Whether this is informed reporting or mere wild-arse speculation is open to conjecture.

Has the club spoken to you on the topic? 

What do you think of the idea?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #5: January 10, 2010, 07:46:46 PM »
What is your offseason training regimen like?

Do you iron your hat brim?

Do you have a particular pregame ritual/superstition?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #6: January 10, 2010, 07:47:38 PM »
I've been hearing a lot about the team taking it slow with Strasburg in order to avoid burning his arm out at an early age but I haven't heard the same thing about them holding you back in the minors or limiting your games played.  Do you feel that as a reliever you don't need to be protected?  Is there a limit on the number of appearances you feel you should make this season? 

Would you rather close in the minors or set up Capps in the majors?

Offline DrewStoren

« Reply #7: January 10, 2010, 07:51:18 PM »
Hey everyone and thanks for having me on here, I am excited to answer all your questions and appreciate the ones that have already been posted. I sat down yesterday and answered most of them so I will paste that to start off with. If I didnt answer your question, feel free to repost it on here and I can get to it. Thanks again for joining, should be a lot of fun.

-------------
Tomterp:
Drew, several times in the last few days we've seen mention that the Nats might consider converting you to a starting pitcher.  Whether this is informed reporting or mere wild-arse speculation is open to conjecture.

Has the club spoken to you on the topic? 

What do you think of the idea?
-I actually have not heard this rumor at all, it is something I could easily transition to if needed, but I have not heard a thing about it from anyone. I know its clique, but I will do whatever the Nats want in order to be an impact guy.

PatNats09

What are your hopes and goals for the 2010 season?

-I want to help the Nats win and surprise people by showcasing the talent that we have as an organization.

PANatsfan

Drew, coming up through college as a closer, that is something that would have never happened just a few decades ago.
How has that affected your game prep?

-It helped me create a solid routine that I do about everyday in order to prepare to pitch. My throwing routine is usually the same every day, a form of long toss and finished up with flat ground work. I formed this routine from my two years in college.

JmadIV

What was the single biggest adjustment you've had to make moving from College to the Pros?

-I had to pitch more, in college I tried to "out stuff" guys a lot. In pro ball, no hitters care how hard it is, it has to be down. That was the biggest adjustment I made.

Lintyfresh85

Drew, on Twitter you often talk about playing Modern Warfare 2. Are you a big gamer? If so, any recommendations on any really good PS3 games?

Also, are you more excited to make your major league debut or see yourself as a video game character in the MLB games like 'The Show' and the 'MLB2K' series?
-I wouldnt say I am a huge gamer, but I do love playing COD: MW2 online on ps3. My gamer tag is thecardinal0107 and dont be afraid to friend me. I am currently not hooked up online, but once spring training rolls around, I should be good to go.

I am actually going to be disappointed to see myself on the video game because I will have realistic values as a player. When I used to make myself on MVP Baseball and Ken Griffey Baseball I was always 100's across the board and about 6'7". Unfortunately that wont be the case if I ever do make it on a video game.

houston-nat

So I guess the question for Drew that comes out of this might be who all he cheered for as a kid. Was it hard to pick a team? Would it have been easy to get used to the idea of playing for whoever drafted him?

It was real easy for me to adapt to whatever team was to draft me. I am a big baseball fan in general. I was a Seattle Mariners fan back in the days of Ken Griffey Jr, Jay Buhner, and Arod.

cmdterps44

Drew, this is the only question I can think of right now but, what will your theme music be when you come out to dominate on the mound?

-I am not for sure yet, but I am thinking "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress". I am open for suggestions.

Saltydad

Drew- How much influence does the pitching coach vs. the manager have on your professional development?

-I have been fortunate enough to have good experiences with all the coaches I have played for. I have a learned a little something from each one about how to be a successful professional player on and off the field.

JCA-CrystalCity

How closely does the team medicial staff monitor your strength and conditioning during the season and in the offseason?  do they give you exercises to prevent injury or deterioration, or tell you when to slack off if you are getting worn down?

-We have a strength and conditioning coach who monitors our health and performance throughout the season as well as giving us a program to follow during the off season. They are aware of the rigors of the season and tailor our workload to correspond with the fatigue level which is crucial.

Minty Fresh

1.  What was you favorite part about playing for the Cotuit Kettleers?
I loved everything about it, the entire organization, fans, host families, and town were all great. It was an awesome experience all around.

2.  What sort of things did you do for fun when playing for the Cape League?

We went to the beach and tried to work off our embarrassing farmer's tans.

3.  Would you agree that the Orleans Cardinals (Firebirds) are the best baseball team that ever played in the whole wide world?

Hmmmm, well I will give them credit for having one of the larger porta-pottys in the league. For those that dont know, Cape fields rarely/if ever have real bathrooms, and Orleans had a porta-potty that could have fit a bed in it just outside the bullpen.

Sportsfan882

Who was the best or one of the best Nationals Minor League player(s) that you saw during your brief tour through Hagerstown, Potomac, and Harrisburg?

-It is hard to say just one, because all of the guys that I played with in the AFL are all obviously great, and Norris is the real deal at the plate. Another guy I loved watching pitch was Tommy Malone. He knows how to pitch and carved up guys from the left side.

Did your velocity increase from college or is it the same? Some people had you clocked in the low 90s during your time at Stanford but playing in the minor leagues you were clocked in the mid to upper 90s.

-Throughout college my velo was increasing, but this year I got up to 97 before the draft. I probably consistently was throwing harder in proball but I didnt peak any higher in proball.

JCA-CrystalCity

Drew:  If you had a choice, would you rather be brought in to start the 9th with a 1 to 3 run lead or be brought in in the 7th or 8th when the opposing team has the go ahead runner on base or at the plate?

It rally wouldnt matter to me, as long as it is a tight spot. I love throwing in the tight spots regardless of the inning.

wpa2629

When do you (or the coaches) think you'll be making your major league debut? And do you hope it's against a specific team? If so, who!?

I have no idea, whenever the management feels that I am ready. I don't mind who it's against to be honest. One dream I do have is to pitch against the Braves in Atlanta during the playoffs/World Series in a big spot, that way the fans are doing the Tomachop at me. That has been my dream ever since seeing the 1992 highlights of the Braves on a Sports Illustrated Year in Review tape my dad had when I was younger.

Cjames0569

Oh ya, and have you heard of or are you expecting any fun spirited hazing rituals that the Nationals have for Rookies?

-ha I have not, but I know that is part of any team and it's all in good fun so I am not worried about it.

JMadIV

Do you have any quirky pregame rituals that we may want to know about.

-I dont as of now, but maybe ask me in June and I may have developed something by then.

Also, do iron the brim of your cap like Chad Cordero did?

-Haha nope I try to have a little curve to the cap. Kind of a modified-Chief look.

PANatsFan

who is the major leaguer you most want to strike out?

-Ken Griffey Jr. because he has always been my favorite player, and I used to be able to think I could strike him out with my knuckleball as a ten year old.

DPMOmaha

What was your College World Series experience like?

-It was a blast. It is one of the coolest places to be in June, a city like Omaha filled with baseball fans and lots of baseball equipment stands. Coming in to face Buster Posey in front of about 20,000 and ESPN was quite the thrill and tough to beat.

Thanks again for joining, feel free to ask what you are curious about!

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #8: January 10, 2010, 07:53:42 PM »
Are you watching the football game?  Can you believe that he missed that kick?   

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #9: January 10, 2010, 07:54:19 PM »
First of all, huge fan. How do you like my name/sig? Haha.

Anyways: How do you think both attending Stanford and subsequently pitching on a huge stage helped your maturity and has given you an advantage over players who come straight out of high school? Did pitching on the Cotuit Kettleers further help your development?

Thanks Drew!
-Ben

Offline DrewStoren

« Reply #10: January 10, 2010, 07:55:30 PM »
I've been hearing a lot about the team taking it slow with Strasburg in order to avoid burning his arm out at an early age but I haven't heard the same thing about them holding you back in the minors or limiting your games played.  Do you feel that as a reliever you don't need to be protected?  Is there a limit on the number of appearances you feel you should make this season?  

Arm care is crucial obviously and the Nationals do have all their pitchers best interests in mind. They havent told me anything about holding me back and appearances.

Offline DrewStoren

« Reply #11: January 10, 2010, 07:56:29 PM »
Are you watching the football game?  Can you believe that he missed that kick?   

Haha I am, I feel like there is a parallel between field goal kickers and closers.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #12: January 10, 2010, 07:57:04 PM »
Drew, welcome to the Washington organization and thanks for taking the time to chat with us.

Many players imitate or model their games/style off of other players they've seen as they've grown up.  My question is, does this hold any truth for you and if so which pitchers have you attempted to model your game and approach off of?

Offline LetsGoNats

• We're Nat Gonna Take It!
« Reply #13: January 10, 2010, 07:57:18 PM »
Do you attribute your success in reaching professional baseball to eating fluffernutters before every game when you played for Skiles Test?

Offline DrewStoren

« Reply #14: January 10, 2010, 07:57:30 PM »

-I just want to be there and helping the nats win. As long as I am on the hill helping us win, I'm down.

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #15: January 10, 2010, 07:59:35 PM »
Drew,
First I must commend you for realizing how important it was to get your career started ASAP, by signing the day after you were drafted. I can only hope that others follow your lead, and realize that the draft is only the beginning of their career.

How much more seasoning do you think you need in the minors? Your numbers have been nothing short of astounding so far. You have actually gotten better while facing tougher competition (AA and AFL). You had a 0.66 ERA with a 2-0 record while recording 4 saves in a showcase of future ML stars. What if anything do you think you need to improve upon?

I'm super stoked to see you at Nats Park. I know it's hard to be bunched together with Stephen Strasburg, but you have provided this Nats fan with as much, if not more excitement.

Online blue911

« Reply #16: January 10, 2010, 07:59:52 PM »
Did Jack McGeary work out with the Stanford team?

Offline DrewStoren

« Reply #17: January 10, 2010, 08:00:05 PM »
First of all, huge fan. How do you like my name/sig? Haha.

Anyways: How do you think both attending Stanford and subsequently pitching on a huge stage helped your maturity and has given you an advantage over players who come straight out of high school? Did pitching on the Cotuit Kettleers further help your development?

Thanks Drew!

Love the name, I actually have never heard that before! And the avatar is solid as well, may need you to make me one!

Pitching in college is great because you really learn to pitch in big situations and you are engrained with dire need to win. You learn to love to win and to hate losing. The team concept of college also will help me down the road as well.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Drew Storen live chat - IN PROGRESS
« Reply #18: January 10, 2010, 08:00:07 PM »
Drew, the Nationals stress social responsibility. What are your favorite charities? How do you plan to be a role model for kids? ( I know that is a tough question before your first big league pitch, but you are a 1st rounder!)

Offline DrewStoren

« Reply #19: January 10, 2010, 08:01:37 PM »
Drew, welcome to the Washington organization and thanks for taking the time to chat with us.

Many players imitate or model their games/style off of other players they've seen as they've grown up.  My question is, does this hold any truth for you and if so which pitchers have you attempted to model your game and approach off of?

I love watching other closers like K Rod, Papelbon, and Mariano. There is a lot to learn from those guys and watching how they attack hitters in big spots is a great thing to take from them.

Offline DrewStoren

« Reply #20: January 10, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
Do you attribute your success in reaching professional baseball to eating fluffernutters before every game when you played for Skiles Test?

Absolutely!

Offline DrewStoren

« Reply #21: January 10, 2010, 08:03:25 PM »
Drew,
First I must commend you for realizing how important it was to get your career started ASAP, by signing the day after you were drafted. I can only hope that others follow your lead, and realize that the draft is only the beginning of their career.

How much more seasoning do you think you need in the minors? Your numbers have been nothing short of astounding so far. You have actually gotten better while facing tougher competition (AA and AFL). You had a 0.66 ERA with a 2-0 record while recording 4 saves in a showcase of future ML stars. What if anything do you think you need to improve upon?

I'm super stoked to see you at Nats Park. I know it's hard to be bunched together with Stephen Strasburg, but you have provided this Nats fan with as much, if not more excitement.

Thanks for all the kind comments! I think I am ready, but spring training will be a true test of that. I want to prove taht I am ready, but I am also aware that there is no reason to rush the process.

Offline LetsGoNats

• We're Nat Gonna Take It!
« Reply #22: January 10, 2010, 08:04:16 PM »
What was the most interesting, funny, or crazy thing you saw during your tour of the Nationals minor league system in 2009?

Thanks for taking the time to chat with us.  Hope to see you out at Nats Park soon!

Offline DrewStoren

« Reply #23: January 10, 2010, 08:04:32 PM »
Did Jack McGeary work out with the Stanford team?

Jack did his own thing. He has a great work ethic and was up early before classes going to work out on his own. He was my roommate and is one of my closest friends.

Offline DrewStoren

« Reply #24: January 10, 2010, 08:06:09 PM »
Drew, the Nationals stress social responsibility. What are your favorite charities? How do you plan to be a role model for kids? ( I know that is a tough question before your first big league pitch, but you are a 1st rounder!)

Thats actually something I haven't thought of. Obviously there are many great causes, but I think it would be cool to help kids out that want to play with equipment or a place to play. Baseball is an expensive sport to play but a lot of fun so if I could help some kids out with a glove, ball and bat I think that could go a long way.