Author Topic: Brand Recommendations  (Read 4407 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Brand Recommendations
« Topic Start: January 07, 2010, 06:18:39 PM »
How about a positive thread? List your good experiences:

Graebel Movers. Extremely good rates, very professional, personal service, 100% class.

TireRack.com - saves you hundreds of dollars, delivers your new tires directly to the installer UPS ground, excellent reviews, very knowledgable staff

Uline boxes - Moving? They'll UPS ground ship (1 day to most locations in the country) a stack of flattened boxes right to your house for a very reasonable price.

The New Amazon Customer Service - after years of hiding their 800 number and being all around jerks, they took complaints to heart. They now will call you back instantly, I've never experienced hold time, and they again have very experienced staff

I'm sure I'll think of more. I'm very loyal when a company goes above and beyond.

Online HalfSmokes

Re: Brand Recommendations
« Reply #1: January 07, 2010, 06:29:11 PM »
In the moving category; two marines and a truck, very efficient and good rates

http://twomarinesandatruck.com/

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: January 07, 2010, 08:20:02 PM »
Two GREAT over the counter pharmaceuticals -

Zantac - just slays heartburn, and keeps it dead.

Imodium-AD - stops diarrhea in its tracks.  Essential when you must travel regardless of your issue.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #3: January 07, 2010, 09:52:58 PM »
In the moving category; two marines and a truck, very efficient and good rates

http://twomarinesandatruck.com/

Graebel charges $30/hr/mover - same as "Two Guys and a Truck" - but they are a national corporation. I have no idea how it's so cheap.

You know the hourly rate for TMAT?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: January 07, 2010, 09:55:15 PM »
Graebel charges $30/hr/mover - same as "Two Guys and a Truck" - but they are a national corporation. I have no idea how it's so cheap.

You know the hourly rate for TMAT?

don't remember, I just remember them being completive; we called a bunch of places and everyone came in around the same, all things being equal I'd rather give my money to vets

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: January 07, 2010, 10:00:44 PM »
don't remember, I just remember them being completive; we called a bunch of places and everyone came in around the same, all things being equal I'd rather give my money to vets

We used to hire what we called the "moving marines".  They were active duty stationed on Quantico, just picking up a little weekend coin. 

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #6: January 07, 2010, 10:03:34 PM »

They sell boxes pretty cheap it seems.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #7: January 09, 2010, 05:15:21 PM »
NewEgg.com: Great prices, great service, ground ships in day in the mid-atlantic. I have never, ever had a problem there, even when I bought a non-returnable HDTV.

Monoprice.com: Disturbingly cheap cables. We're talking 10x cheaper than anywhere else for HDMI, VGA, etc. Excellent quality.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #8: January 09, 2010, 05:34:28 PM »
Shoebacca.com. cheap fast sneakers. Zappos is good too, but SB is cheaper

Charles Tyrwhitt. ctshirts.com. british dress shirts. expensive regularly, but they usually have sales where you can get good ones for 35-50 dollars.  I like em because they have slim fit. The no iron ones are great.  hang em out of the dryer. then the night before you want one spray with a spray bottle and it is good to go. You'll make your money back on cleaners fees or ironing time. I've actually been applying that spray bottle technique to anything I need ironed and it works well. I first discovered it on their shirts and havent bought them anywhere else

Modells. That place is cheap as crap

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #9: January 09, 2010, 05:39:04 PM »
Shoebacca.com. cheap fast sneakers. Zappos is good too, but SB is cheaper

At Zappo's you are subsidizing the free returns. Nothing ever fits me the first time. I hate going to the store, so this works out great. Refunds before the CC bill comes FTW.

Also Ebags.com - they have absurd warranties. I used an Ebags brand laptop backpack every day for years, and then it split open. I called them about their lifetime warranty, and they offered me a credit for the purchase price to my card. I didn't even have to mail back the bag :shock: Best service ever.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #10: January 09, 2010, 08:16:42 PM »
The New Amazon Customer Service - after years of hiding their 800 number and being all around jerks, they took complaints to heart. They now will call you back instantly, I've never experienced hold time, and they again have very experienced staff

also Amazon Prime, the lack of tax makes it pay for itself and you get free second day delivery

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #11: January 09, 2010, 08:27:34 PM »
Wnff.net - Fantastic website if you want to talk baseball!   :icon_mrgreen:

Davis Ford Heating and Air Conditioning:  A guy named Lou has been really nice and I think their prices are fair.

Check Checkbook or Angie's list for names too!

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #12: January 09, 2010, 08:39:29 PM »
The Verizon Store in Frederick, MD. I had to go in the week of Christmas with my son because he was having some issues with his phone. They took care of us and their customer service was excellent. You just don't get that kind of service anymore. I was really impressed.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #13: January 09, 2010, 08:45:21 PM »
J Crew has awesome clothes.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #14: January 09, 2010, 09:43:12 PM »
The Verizon Store in Frederick, MD. I had to go in the week of Christmas with my son because he was having some issues with his phone. They took care of us and their customer service was excellent. You just don't get that kind of service anymore. I was really impressed.

that is surprising because every time i've been to verizon or know of other people who go to verizon or call verizon, it's worse than the dmv

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #15: January 09, 2010, 09:49:33 PM »
They must have changed since the last time I was in that store.  It was AWFUL.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #16: January 10, 2010, 10:19:37 AM »
My experience with Verizon stores has also been poor.  My gf calls our local store "the angry zone"

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #17: January 10, 2010, 11:09:06 AM »
that is surprising because every time i've been to verizon or know of other people who go to verizon or call verizon, it's worse than the dmv

I had mostly very good service at the Fair Oaks store.  Well organized system for prioritizing customers.  They were out of the phone I wanted, but the sales person called me the moment the warehouse got them, and placed the order, having them shipped on an expedited basis to my house.  No complaints from me.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #18: January 10, 2010, 11:11:32 AM »
They must have changed since the last time I was in that store.  It was AWFUL.

I went to the store on the golden mile. Is that the one you went to Nathan?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #19: January 10, 2010, 03:45:22 PM »
I went to the store on the golden mile. Is that the one you went to Nathan?
Yeah.  This was a few years ago though, before I got an iPhone in 2007 so it may be better by now.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #20: January 10, 2010, 08:08:51 PM »
Well, my experience with the Verizon store in Bailey's Crossroads was like trying to get information from a government bureaucratic with the VA, SSA, or IRS.  They were pathetic and couldn't even tell me where I could get a manuel, either from the store or online.online

I had mostly very good service at the Fair Oaks store.  Well organized system for prioritizing customers.  They were out of the phone I wanted, but the sales person called me the moment the warehouse got them, and placed the order, having them shipped on an expedited basis to my house.  No complaints from me.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #21: January 10, 2010, 09:28:49 PM »
The Adams Morgan Safeway:  The most awful ghetto crap supermarket since the Soviet Union.  The vegetables working the checkout lines are in even worse shape than the rotten lettuce in the produce department, and their deli could make ex-cons pine for the prison slopline.  A disgraceful place that might as well be managed by North Koreans.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #22: January 10, 2010, 09:50:09 PM »
One of my favorite products is and oldie (124 years old) - Bon Ami.  It cleans everything, and costs 89 cents for a bottle.  I haven't seen anything do a better job cleaning wheels/break dust, golf clubs, pots and pans, bathroom, counter tops, floor, grout, woodtrim on the boat, glass (great on glass-top stoves), or just about anything.  None of the new stuff comes close, and nothing is as safe or environmentally friendly (it is literally safe enough to eat, though I still wouldn't recommend it).

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #23: January 10, 2010, 09:56:18 PM »
One of my favorite products is and oldie (124 years old) - Bon Ami.  It cleans everything, and costs 89 cents for a bottle.  I haven't seen anything do a better job cleaning wheels/break dust, golf clubs, pots and pans, bathroom, counter tops, floor, grout, woodtrim on the boat, glass (great on glass-top stoves), or just about anything.  None of the new stuff comes close, and nothing is as safe or environmentally friendly (it is literally safe enough to eat, though I still wouldn't recommend it).

I half remember a story about someone in the family accidentally drinking some cleaner. Rushing to the doctor's office, the prognosis was good - the cleaning solution was harmless. Must have been Bon Ami.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #24: January 10, 2010, 10:22:29 PM »
I half remember a story about someone in the family accidentally drinking some cleaner. Rushing to the doctor's office, the prognosis was good - the cleaning solution was harmless. Must have been Bon Ami.

It probably was.  Bon Ami is a powder, but you mix it with water (sometime vinegar - windows).  It's a lot cheaper per bottle, and then goes a whole lot further.