Author Topic: Brand Recommendations  (Read 3086 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Brand Recommendations
« Reply #50: March 05, 2010, 03:07:05 PM »
Trader Joe's frozen pizza...they are actually from some little factory in Naples, and they taste like it...close your eyes and you are eating street pizza in Italy.  And they're cheap.   

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #51: March 06, 2010, 04:15:42 PM »
since my wife's birthday is coming up, I figure I'd throw Bluenile.com up here. Unbeatable prices and great customer service.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #52: March 07, 2010, 11:41:11 AM »
Credit Unions are better

If you work for DoD, even as civilian, Navy Federal is great!   I have accounts with them as I used to work for Department of the Navy as a civilian.   Once a member, always a member, so I still have my accounts with them.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #53: March 07, 2010, 12:18:34 PM »
If you work for DoD, even as civilian, Navy Federal is great!   I have accounts with them as I used to work for Department of the Navy as a civilian.   Once a member, always a member, so I still have my accounts with them.

what are the big benefits of nfcu? what makes a bank good? not charging for checking? no minimum balances?

Offline Obed_Marsh

• ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • Photos
« Reply #54: March 07, 2010, 12:26:57 PM »
NFCU and CVS. Two brands I avoid at all costs neither of which I can explain why.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #55: March 07, 2010, 05:37:40 PM »
Credit unions are starting to bug me. Their interest rates are low and their loan rates are high.

There's some credit unions, like the VA credit union, that you can join if you live, work, go to church, go to school, or sneeze near DC.

Offline Mathguy

• Whoa That Was A Good One ! Poke His Brain Here !
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #56: March 08, 2010, 06:39:25 AM »
I've found for mortgages, NFCU had the best rate/points combinations and the admin fees were much less than my other mortgages with other companies, such as BOA.

what are the big benefits of nfcu? what makes a bank good? not charging for checking? no minimum balances?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #57: March 08, 2010, 07:30:07 AM »
I've found for mortgages, NFCU had the best rate/points combinations and the admin fees were much less than my other mortgages with other companies, such as BOA.

we're about to get an FHA- boa's origination fee is now a flat $975. We joined PTOFCU just to see if we could get a better deal on a mortgage through them and BOA beat them hands down on rates and fees.

As far as accounts go, I've yet to see anyone who can beat schwab (free checking and savings, reimbursement of atm fees on withdrawals, credit card with 2% back that credits monthly)

Offline Dave B

« Reply #58: March 08, 2010, 06:53:43 PM »
we're about to get an FHA- boa's origination fee is now a flat $975. We joined PTOFCU just to see if we could get a better deal on a mortgage through them and BOA beat them hands down on rates and fees.

As far as accounts go, I've yet to see anyone who can beat schwab (free checking and savings, reimbursement of atm fees on withdrawals, credit card with 2% back that credits monthly)

that schwab stuff is pretty good. are those just intro perks or permanent?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #59: March 08, 2010, 08:55:02 PM »
that schwab stuff is pretty good. are those just intro perks or permanent?

we've had the account for a few years and they are still there

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #60: March 09, 2010, 09:21:40 AM »
LivingSocial, seems like groupon with better deals. Also, if you get 3 people to buy the deal, you get 1 free.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #61: March 13, 2010, 12:33:04 AM »
I remember people saying good things about Aldi. One is coming to NE in November. Should I be excited? I remember getting the impression that it was like a food Ikea. Cheap, no frills, but gets the job done and isnt horrible

Offline saltydad

« Reply #62: March 13, 2010, 03:19:45 AM »
Panasonic for plasma TV. Pioneer for A/V gear.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #63: March 13, 2010, 10:34:28 AM »
I remember people saying good things about Aldi. One is coming to NE in November. Should I be excited? I remember getting the impression that it was like a food Ikea. Cheap, no frills, but gets the job done and isnt horrible

I'm a big Aldi fan. Tasty off brand yogurt. Terrible produce (bananas from Nicaragua?), awesome, cheap, tasty packaged food.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #64: March 13, 2010, 10:42:22 AM »
For years NFCU has been rated highly among Credit Unions.  For the longest time, no late fees on credit cards and when others were charging 18, 21%, Navy Federal were at a constant 12%.  They didn't do this "I'll offer you a low rate for a few months and then jack it up at the end of 6 months.  

I've been with them since 1985.  That at the very least speaks to their longevity.

[added] http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Banking/BetterBanking/DitchYourBankForACreditUnion.aspx

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #65: March 13, 2010, 10:45:55 AM »
I've been with them since 1985.  That at the very least speaks to their longevity.

They should market that.  "NFCU - We're as old as CASGR8!"

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #66: March 13, 2010, 10:53:16 AM »
They should market that.  "NFCU - We're as old as CASGR8!"

I was just a kid then and so were you!   ;)

You're pulling a NATINALS on me?  Tom, Tom, Tom!

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #67: March 16, 2010, 08:14:55 PM »
Zappos - i hate shopping, and I'm busy. I can order the same thing I already own that wore out (jeans, shoes, whatever), and it comes overnight free. If it doesn't fit, free return shipping.

Also, Ebags. They honor their warranties to a ridiculous degree.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #68: July 08, 2010, 09:46:18 PM »
Amazon - $5.99 same day shipping with prime. It's a courier service. That's sick.

Offline Dixon Ward

« Reply #69: July 08, 2010, 10:16:56 PM »
Two GREAT over the counter pharmaceuticals -

Zantac - just slays heartburn, and keeps it dead.

Imodium-AD - stops diarrhea in its tracks.  Essential when you must travel regardless of your issue.

lol, sorry man, but this just cracked me up!!!  :crackup:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #70: July 08, 2010, 11:06:11 PM »
Best purveyor of animal piss...I think bobcat is the best, but others swear by coyote:

http://www.predatorpee.com/

Offline blue911

« Reply #71: July 09, 2010, 06:07:46 AM »
Best purveyor of animal piss...I think bobcat is the best, but others swear by coyote:

http://www.predatorpee.com/

When are the Phillies coming to town?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #72: July 09, 2010, 02:55:32 PM »
Newegg is pretty awesome.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #73: August 06, 2016, 05:06:45 PM »
Shoe Goo.  Why spend $100 to replace those Keen sandals when the tread separates (as they eventually all do)?  For $6 smear some Shoe Goo in there and you've just doubled the life of the shoes. 

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #74: August 07, 2016, 11:31:43 AM »
Goldstar.com offers great ticket prices on performing arts, sometimes as much as 50%.