Author Topic: Collin Balester Q&A - January 3, 2010 (Completed)  (Read 19970 times)

Offline Obed_Marsh

• ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • Photos
Damn speedy internet. Keeps growing faster than I can keep up.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
Here's a question we'll give you some time to think about or write a really great answer .... do you have any great Spinman stories??
I will say this about Collin, he alwys thinks about everyone else before himself. He loves God first, His wife second, his family third, Baseball 4th and his fans after that. I mean it, for a young guy he does have all of priorities in the right place. He loves the fans, as Collin would say, " If it weren't for the fans, baseball would be nothing." Now done with my patronizing! LOL! :blah:

Offline Collin Balester

Do you see yourself adding a slider or cutter to your regular mix in the future? What circumstances have lead you to adding new pitches? I'm always curious what was the motivation when someone adds/drops a pitch.

Thats also a good question. I am adding a slider to my mix because 1) its easier to throw for strikes, Curve balls sometimes dont get called because they are bigger than a slider and harder to see and call a strike.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
Bally's computer was acting up but it is ok now. Posts coming shortly.

Offline Collin Balester

Playing in the National League are you ever worried coming to bat after having hit an opposing batter?

Never.. If I get hit then I get on base.. haha I dont think a pitcher would hit you because you hit one of there batters because they have to bat too  :D

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Bally's computer was acting up but it is ok now. Posts coming shortly.

He's clearly a more prolific typer / poster than his next of kin.    ;)

Offline Collin Balester

Collin, in your honest opinion, how do you think the team will fare this season?

I think this year will still be a learning process but we are very very close to turning this Org around. we have a bunch of good players and we all want to win so we are heading in the right direction..

Online houston-nat

I will say this about Collin, he alwys thinks about everyone else before himself. He loves God first, His wife second, his family third, Baseball 4th and his fans after that. I mean it, for a young guy he does have all of priorities in the right place. He loves the fans, as Collin would say, " If it weren't for the fans, baseball would be nothing." Now done with my patronizing! LOL!

Okay Collin, I am guessing from this answer that you have some really great Spinman stories that he doesn't want you to tell. :icon_mrgreen:
(Naw, Spinman, you know I appreciate your answer, your effort in creating this chat and your class on this here forum. :) )

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday

I think this year will still be a learning process but we are very very close to turning this Org around. we have a bunch of good players and we all want to win so we are heading in the right direction..

Collin,
Any under-the-radar young guys coming up through the ranks? For instance, the first time Nats.com mentioned Roger Bernadina might play CF a couple of years ago at ST, I guarantee few if any of the posters had heard of him.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Aside from workouts, do you like to play any other sports during the offseason, or even in-season?

Offline Collin Balester

Collin,
Any under-the-radar young guys coming up through the ranks? For instance, the first time Nats.com mentioned Roger Bernadina might play CF a couple of years ago at ST, I guarantee few if any of the posters had heard of him.

I would say Brad myers and 2 guys that you have not heard of are Strausburg and Storen.

Offline Collin Balester

Aside from workouts, do you like to play any other sports during the offseason, or even in-season?

THis offseason I played kickball in a league and that was a blast, I like to compete and I would be competitive playing under water basket weaving or how fast can you mow the lawn haha.. I also like watching Hockey thats my favorite sport besides baseball of course.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

THis offseason I played kickball in a league and that was a blast, I like to compete and I would be competitive playing under water basket weaving or how fast can you mow the lawn haha.. I also like watching Hockey thats my favorite sport besides baseball of course.

Anybody on the club that can beat you in Guitar Hero?

Online houston-nat

Before a start, any special things you do, good luck charms or anything?
Is there a meal you really like to eat to pre-game? Or after a game?

Offline Collin Balester

Anybody on the club that can beat you in Guitar Hero?

Yes, Lannan, Mock, and Estrada and Detwiler are very very good now no one can beat me on Air guitar the guys always want me to play Threw the fire and the flames by dragonforce on air guitar its brings the wins  :rimshot:

Offline PatsNats28

Hey Collin, what's your routine each day when you head to the ballpark? Like in terms of warming up and stuff on a day where you're starting?

Offline Collin Balester

Before a start, any special things you do, good luck charms or anything?
Is there a meal you really like to eat to pre-game? Or after a game?

Im pretty laid back and simple I mean I'm sure that I have some funny stuff I do but nothing really that I can see that I do different. I listen to music and rock out before every game..

Offline PANatsFan

If you ever want to practice the lawn mowing gig, I have a perfect practice field for you ;)

Are you guys careful about off-season injuries and sports? It seems to depend on the team (Berkman vs Aaron Boone). Of course you are an iron man . . .

Offline balzig777

I had the opportunity to see you and another pitcher Nathan Keedle pitch your way to the 1st sunset league championship in huntington beach in 04, are you planning to throw there this year at all?

Offline PANatsFan

Yes, Lannan, Mock, and Estrada and Detwiler are very very good now no one can beat me on Air guitar the guys always want me to play Threw the fire and the flames by dragonforce on air guitar its brings the wins  :rimshot:

Metal forever \m/

What kind of tunes do you like?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Six minute warning.............

Offline Collin Balester

Hey Collin, what's your routine each day when you head to the ballpark? Like in terms of warming up and stuff on a day where you're starting?

I get to the ballpark about 230 3 hours before the game and I just relax on the big chair and watch some TV and then ill start going over the hitters and looking at some quick tape of the hitters, 45 mins before the game me McCatty and the catcher that day will go over the starting Lineup and then Ill head into the training room and get some heat on my arm and get out to the field to stretch out and throw..

Offline Collin Balester

I had the opportunity to see you and another pitcher Nathan Keedle pitch your way to the 1st sunset league championship in huntington beach in 04, are you planning to throw there this year at all?

Yeah WHen I start throwing my bullpens in a week or so I will be throwing to Hank Conger at HBHS, I will also be throwing in the Alumni game..

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman

Collin needs to video it and show it on youtube so we all can see it. Im telling you its awesome. It got me pumped up as I was just sitting here waiting for dinner last night. I think i could have fought in a MMA fight last night! LOL! :woop:

Offline Minty Fresh

• We're here....
2) I saw my page and its a players elbow so That means your a player on the nats then right?!? :bow:

Ah, it appears your picture has changed from the original, which was taken just as Minty entered the room behind you and Carp at the Bloggers' event in Nats Park.  He was SO proud of that elbow cameo, but alas, someone has updated the picture to exclude him. 

He's going to take this hard, I'm afraid.

Somebody took down MY elbow?  Where is NotLD?  This must be rectified!