Author Topic: Collin Balester Q&A - January 3, 2010 (Completed)  (Read 21189 times)

Offline Collin Balester

Do you plan on rocking the stache all season long? It is absolutely fantastic.
Oh Absolutely thats going to be my trade mark and thank you for the love haha...I think I need a happy face with a Stache that you could choose from.. everyone should check out my twitter  at twitter.com/bally40.

Offline balzig777

Now Balzig, no trolling allowed, Collin is our guest here!    :nono:

Dude.....

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Offline Collin Balester

Ok guys well glad I got a little head start on the Questions but I will be back on at 11 tomorrow so keep the questions coming and ill be back on tomorrow..  :woop:

Offline GMUNat

Collin, You've always done a great job of keeping the ballpark in your minor league career, but in your brief Big league stint, you allowed an inordinate amount of HR's. Was something off or was it just a fluke?

Offline PatsNats28

Great to have you here Collin. Quick question for you: Are you aware of advanced metrics (such as fielding independent ERA and BABIP), and are these things that the team incorporates at all?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
I split questions about posting and smilies off to the help section - http://www.wnff.net/index.php/topic,16311.0.html

Welcome and a big :clap: to Collin.  Thanks for taking the time to talk with us and answer questions.

Offline houston-nat

Hey Collin, three things ...

1. Just sayin', I had a Twitter conversation with you a couple weeks ago about how I have 4 Twitter accounts, and you said you wouldn't want to have multiple Twitters ... bet your Stache is glad you changed your mind!

2. Want to say, down here in Houston, TX, I've only ever been to 3 Nationals games (all at Minute Maid), and the three starting pitchers I saw were Joel Hanrahan (W), Odalis Perez (L), and Shawn Hill (Joel H. also pitched in that game - and lost it - it was a heartbreaker, Stros hit a homer in the bottom of the 9th). Those games were August 2007 and May 2008. Another guy on this forum, DPM Omaha, hasn't ever seen you guys play, if I remember correctly, unless you were in the College World Series... So just want to say, you have fans outside of D.C., and we're rooting for ya. And if any of these spoiled guys get to whining about stuff, just tell them to move to Houston where they can't see y'all at all. :D

3. Any models for where you want the Stache to go? Any guys whose Staches are role models? Just gonna let it grow a life of its own?

Tomorrow when you come back, I'll have some actual questions, maybe even about baseball. :D

Online sportsfan882

What's up buddy? Are you excited to work with Pudge Rodriguez this year? Should be an upgrade over Bard and Nieves. How do you like working with Flores? I hope he comes back healthy.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Collin,

Thanks for giving a bit of your time to talk to people who are crazy enough to debate the batting order on Christmas Eve.

First, and I realize this isn't a 1 sentence answer question: How does traveling with the team affect the player's families? Especially for guys with options, how do they deal with callups?

Also, I picked up that book "Getting Focused, Staying Focused" mentioned in one of the Nats.com interviews, as I feel like it should be applicable to people in many fields (we'll see), to help me focus in my work. I'll probably post a review here.

Anyway, Tom mentioned pilates as one "out of the box" training technique, and it would seem Eastern philosophy is another. What else do you guys do to prepare that would surprise us? Tom Emanski's defensive drills?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Two more, because I won't be around at 11am:

1) Which acquisition helped the team the most this offseason? What do you think of the moves Rizzo made? (I think he's a wizard).

2) What's left to be done to get this team to become a contender

Offline blue911

Did Tony Packo's have you sign a bun?

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
Awesome questions guys. You have made Spinman proud of ya! Keep them coming!  Like I have always said the WNFF posters are the "most informed and smartest posters around!" :roll:

Offline Collin Balester

Collin, You've always done a great job of keeping the ballpark in your minor league career, but in your brief Big league stint, you allowed an inordinate amount of HR's. Was something off or was it just a fluke?
Yeah thats one thing I really need to work on, just not getting excited when up with the big club and focus on keeping the ball down.

Offline Collin Balester

Great to have you here Collin. Quick question for you: Are you aware of advanced metrics (such as fielding independent ERA and BABIP), and are these things that the team incorporates at all?
  No I have no clue what that stuff means haha I focus on making my pitches and leaving the stat guys for the other stuff.  :bang:  :doh:

Offline Collin Balester

What's up buddy? Are you excited to work with Pudge Rodriguez this year? Should be an upgrade over Bard and Nieves. How do you like working with Flores? I hope he comes back healthy.
Yes working with Pudge will not only be awesome but it will also be an honor to work with a future hall of famer its going to be good to pick his brain and its only gonna make flores and nieves better.  :whip:

Offline houston-nat

No I have no clue what that stuff means haha I focus on making my pitches and leaving the stat guys for the other stuff.  :bang:  :doh:

That's probably a good thing, they don't pay you to do math. ;)

To us, you have a BABIP, xFIP, ERA+, tRA, UZR, and a bunch of other stuff that we're constantly explaining to each other what they are.
To you, you have pitches. :D

EDIT: Hmm, about the stat guys, I guess y'all don't run into each other much, but do you know much about them / how much work they do with the bigwigs? Do they have pocket protectors or glasses with plastic rims?  :|

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Got any new pitches in the research and development phase?

Offline Collin Balester

Collin,

Thanks for giving a bit of your time to talk to people who are crazy enough to debate the batting order on Christmas Eve.

First, and I realize this isn't a 1 sentence answer question: How does traveling with the team affect the player's families? Especially for guys with options, how do they deal with callups?

Also, I picked up that book "Getting Focused, Staying Focused" mentioned in one of the Nats.com interviews, as I feel like it should be applicable to people in many fields (we'll see), to help me focus in my work. I'll probably post a review here.

Anyway, Tom mentioned pilates as one "out of the box" training technique, and it would seem Eastern philosophy is another. What else do you guys do to prepare that would surprise us? Tom Emanski's defensive drills?

Great question. for the first part, it is very tough for players and there family when they are traveling all the time. We travel for 8 to 10 days every 2 weeks and are on the road for about 15-20 days a month, Its tough for all our family's to have us always gone and never knowing when we will go up or go down so its tough for both sides but we always seem to make it work..

as for the palates and yoga yes that I think is the most crazy workouts we do that aren't your everyday regular workout, and I always wanted to get the tom emanskis D drills so that I could throw a ball from center field to home plate into a trash can..  :bow:

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
Collin, Thanks for joining us at WNFF today.  My questions are,  what do most players think about posters/bloggers? And what can we do as posters/bloggers to be more informed so our opinions are based on facts and not just hear say?  8)

Offline Collin Balester

Two more, because I won't be around at 11am:

1) Which acquisition helped the team the most this offseason? What do you think of the moves Rizzo made? (I think he's a wizard).

2) What's left to be done to get this team to become a contender

I think all the signings are great together because they weren't big time guys but when you keep making all the small moves like we have they equal out and make you a better club like rizzo has..

Offline Collin Balester

Did Tony Packo's have you sign a bun?

No but Spinman did try and get the manger to let me sign one haha..  :bag:  :crazy:

Offline Collin Balester

Got any new pitches in the research and development phase?

Yes I'm working on a Slider this offseason and should be ready to let rip in ST and that should help a lot. and have been working on my changeup and other pitches to become more of a complete pitcher..

Offline PatsNats28

In the clubhouse, which guys are the funniest, the most vocal, the leaders, etc. in your opinion?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Any lingering issues from the oblique / rib issue that ended your season last year?