Author Topic: Collin Balester Q&A - January 3, 2010 (Completed)  (Read 21678 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Collin Balester Q&A - January 3, 2010 (Completed)
« Topic Start: January 02, 2010, 09:02:49 PM »
Things have been a little dull around here the past few weeks, so let's shake it up a bit.  Collin Balester's in the mood to reconnect with some hard core Nats fans, and no better place than right here, tomorrow morning at 11:00 am Washington DC time.  For one hour, it'll be Q&A time.  

Seeing how this is the first time we're going to be doing this, the rules will be invented on the fly.  As of now, we're going to just have Collin drop in at the anointed hour and have a conversation with us.  While I sincerely doubt there would be anything inappropriate put in the queue, remember that your friendly moderators will be here to kick some ass offer constructive feedback if necessary.  

If you have any topics of interest, go ahead and post them here before tomorrow morning, it'll give him a head start on his thoughts towards answering.  

Questions?

PS:  Thanks again to Spinman for his integral role in arranging this session.   :clap:

Offline Minty Fresh

• Mantra of the SSS
Collin:

(1) As opposed to years past, what would be the one thing this team could do to get off to a great start to open the regular season?

(2) In looking at your wikipedia page, do you think I have a future in elbow modeling?  :D

EDIT:  I'd love to join the chat, but alas I will be unavoidably detained.

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
VERY COOL!

I look forward to this.  I hope Collin sticks around the forums even after the Q&A session as a regular contributor.  Maybe get some other players on here for us to chat with.

PS:  I love the avatar :lmao:

Offline Collin Balester

Collin:

(1) As opposed to years past, what would be the one thing this team could do to get off to a great start to open the regular season?

(2) In looking at your wikipedia page, do you think I have a future in elbow modeling?  :D

EDIT:  I'd love to join the chat, but alas I will be unavoidably detained.

1) I think this year could be different than years past because we really have lots and lots of pitching Bullpen and Starting, we will have lots of competition for all those roles and to go along with are already strong hitting we are going to surprise a lot of people this year

2) I saw my page and its a players elbow so That means your a player on the nats then right?!? :bow:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
2) I saw my page and its a players elbow so That means your a player on the nats then right?!? :bow:

Ah, it appears your picture has changed from the original, which was taken just as Minty entered the room behind you and Carp at the Bloggers' event in Nats Park.  He was SO proud of that elbow cameo, but alas, someone has updated the picture to exclude him.  

He's going to take this hard, I'm afraid.

Offline GMUNat

In your career, you had trouble pitching out of the stretch/with men on base. Doesn't relief pitching not suit your abilities because as a reliever you would be counted on to pitch with men on base a lot?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Collin,

Brian Bruney has expressed relief (haha) at being liberated from the Yankees' oppressive rules against facial hair. 

Is he any threat to your dominance of the pitching staff in this area?  Is anyone on the staff capable of overtaking your early lead?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Collin,

Could you give us a little insight into the general overall philosophy of the Organization in terms of pitcher development? Has it changed much between the Bowden Era and the Rizzo Era?

Offline Collin Balester

In your career, you had trouble pitching out of the stretch/with men on base. Doesn't relief pitching not suit your abilities because as a reliever you would be counted on to pitch with men on base a lot?

Well thats one aspect I have been working on this offseason so far so that I can get better just incase they want to move me to the pen or just so when people get on when im a starter, Thats a big part of the game and I really just need to slow down the game when people get on and that would help my era haha.. :thumbs:

Offline Collin Balester

Collin,

Brian Bruney has expressed relief (haha) at being liberated from the Yankees' oppressive rules against facial hair. 

Is he any threat to your dominance of the pitching staff in this area?  Is anyone on the staff capable of overtaking your early lead?

Ill tell you right now that there is not one person that can grow something on there face thats as good or equal to the  :worship: Bally Stache :worship:. I cant wait to show this puppy off on MASN HD!!!!

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Collin,

Hypothetically, if you were given the choice, would you rather remain a starter and start the season in AAA with a chance of a September call up, or work out of the 'pen on the big league club from the start of the season?

Offline Collin Balester

Collin,

Could you give us a little insight into the general overall philosophy of the Organization in terms of pitcher development? Has it changed much between the Bowden Era and the Rizzo Era?

Both of them are pretty much the same as far as just pound the zone and stay healthy and when they think your good enough they will find a spot for you.

Offline Collin Balester

Collin,

Hypothetically, if you were given the choice, would you rather remain a starter and start the season in AAA with a chance of a September call up, or work out of the 'pen on the big league club from the start of the season?

I would love to stay as a starter and I feel that I have a lot that people haven't seen of me yet, That being said if they said they needed me to be in the big league bullpen to help out the team I would gladly move and help the team.. :$$$:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Has there been an increased emphasis placed on fielding by the Nats pitching staff after the problems last year?

Other than yourself, of the Nats pitchers who made their rookie debuts last year, who will make the greatest leap forward in 2010?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Nyjer was reported to have been doing pilates while rehabbing late last season from his injury. 

Do you see a trend towards players taking up alternative exercise routines like pilates or plyometrics?  Have you considered any of these more recent alternatives?

What is your offseason regimen?

Offline Collin Balester

Has there been an increased emphasis placed on fielding by the Nats pitching staff after the problems last year?

Other than yourself, of the Nats pitchers who made their rookie debuts last year, who will make the greatest leap forward in 2010?

I would have to say stammen he really showed that he earned the call up and was ready to be up there and now after that minor surgery he should be ready to pitch pain free.

Offline Collin Balester

Nyjer was reported to have been doing pilates while rehabbing late last season from his injury. 

Do you see a trend towards players taking up alternative exercise routines like pilates or plyometrics?  Have you considered any of these more recent alternatives?

What is your offseason regimen?

Yes I really think that people are starting to do more yoga and pilates and more stretch classes to get them more flexible and ready to do the sport they do..and as for me I Do Yoga 2-3 times and week and pilates 2 times a week with a stretch class mixed in and on top of that weights too and throwing and running :panic:. So lots of things to make me a better pitcher.  :clap:

Offline balzig777

Collin whats with the 11:00 eastern thing? I mean its only 8:00am in my corner of the world......actually its kind of a semi circle.....but still?

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
Collin, thanks for chatting with us (and for bringing the stache).  Just wondering what you guys are required to do in the off-season (if anything?).  Are there any formal training programs?  Do you have to work with anyone or train with anyone?  Also, have you gotten to hang out with Strasburg yet and will he sport a stache in 2010?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
As you may (or may not) know, The Washington Times killed their sports section, dealing a great blow to Nats-focused coverage in the area.

what would it take for Nats players to warm up to the idea of talking to fansites that try to fill the void?

Offline Collin Balester

Collin whats with the 11:00 eastern thing? I mean its only 8:00am in my corner of the world......actually its kind of a semi circle.....but still?

Hmmm thats interesting way of putting it but kinda makes sense.. too many football games I have to watch along with my Twitter account and submitting my fantasy rosters.. :bang:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Now Balzig, no trolling allowed, Collin is our guest here!    :nono:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Thanks for doing this chat.

How much contact do you have with the team during the offseason?  Do you speak with McCatty on a regular basis?  Is baseball a year round profession similar to the NFL?

Offline UMDNats

Do you plan on rocking the stache all season long? It is absolutely fantastic.

Offline Collin Balester

Thanks for doing this chat.

How much contact do you have with the team during the offseason?  Do you speak with McCatty on a regular basis?  Is baseball a year round profession similar to the NFL?

I talk to some guys like Lannan,stammen,clipp,Dunn,both zimmerman(n)s, and ex Nat Slick(NJ).. I do not talk to McCatty on a regular basis but I have spoke to him a couple times this offseason..