Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2009-2012)  (Read 97289 times)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it.
« Reply #1700: August 09, 2012, 09:55:54 PM »
2IPAs & I use to walk 2 miles to Dogfish when we lived in Ballston.  We never walked home though

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1701: August 10, 2012, 01:44:37 PM »
still, what are the brew pubs near old town?  for those rare times I'm not at CCSP?

I don't think there are any heft, execpt the fake one in Potomac yards. Port city is supposedly looking at offering food, but last time I was there, the staff seemed very doubtful- even if they did, the location sucks and they really don't have the creativity that I like from brew pubs. I'm still a rustico fan for beer lists (though vascos being across the street usually gets my business since their food is so much better)

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #1702: August 10, 2012, 02:44:07 PM »
2IPAs & I use to walk 2 miles to Dogfish when we lived in Ballston.  We never walked home though

That's what happened when AtBC and I went to Russia House with some friends. We all walked down there, but after a couple horseradish martinis and the vodka sampler we had to cab a couple blocks to get home.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1703: August 19, 2012, 09:27:10 PM »
Dinner tonight was venison backstrap steaks wrapped in bacon and marinated in Montreal Steak marinade (McCormick brand from the grocery store) and then grilled to a nice dark red rare. Excellent stuff. I had a Groupon for the Springfield Butcher and got the venison there. Well worth it. Also picked up two lobster tails and I was going to do surf and turf with the venison but decided to save the lobster for tomorrow. Probably for the best, we both wound up quite full (and I had to finish Ms1995hoo's venison, in part because it was a big piece and in part because she felt it was too rare). That butcher shop sells some excellent stuff.

Forgot to take a picture of the meat. It was actually more impressive raw due to the color.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #1704: August 19, 2012, 09:33:21 PM »
My !  I want to come to your house

Dinner tonight was venison backstrap steaks wrapped in bacon and marinated in Montreal Steak marinade (McCormick brand from the grocery store) and then grilled to a nice dark red rare. Excellent stuff. I had a Groupon for the Springfield Butcher and got the venison there. Well worth it. Also picked up two lobster tails and I was going to do surf and turf with the venison but decided to save the lobster for tomorrow. Probably for the best, we both wound up quite full (and I had to finish Ms1995hoo's venison, in part because it was a big piece and in part because she felt it was too rare). That butcher shop sells some excellent stuff.

Forgot to take a picture of the meat. It was actually more impressive raw due to the color.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1705: September 03, 2012, 11:48:57 AM »
Bushel of blue crabs, check; corn, check; hush puppies, check; beer, check; Nats on TV, soon...must be Labour Day

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #1706: September 03, 2012, 12:56:33 PM »
Crabpocalypse!

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1707: September 03, 2012, 06:39:24 PM »
I tried something i saw on rick bayless' show: roasted a poblano pepper, whole garlic cloves, and some onion slices on the grill, then dumped them in a blender with a can of fire-roasted tomato sauce, added some chiptole peppers/sauce, and blended it into a puree, then cooked it on the stove until it reduced a bit.  It made a terrific sauce that i then served over some chicken breasts i had grilled after sprinkling them with chili powder, onion powder, cumin, Cayenne pepper and garlic powder.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #1708: September 03, 2012, 08:43:36 PM »
Wife made Chicken Potpie... YUMMY!!

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #1709: September 03, 2012, 09:02:24 PM »
Leftover crabs are going to become crabcakes!!! Yaeah, nages!!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1710: September 03, 2012, 09:08:28 PM »
Leftover crabs are going to become crabcakes!!! Yaeah, nages!!

Then, if any still left, crabmeat quesadillas.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #1711: September 04, 2012, 10:34:27 AM »
Then, if any still left, crabmeat quesadillas.

Like there's going to be any left over. I can eat some crabcakes.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1712: September 05, 2012, 12:26:01 AM »
Thinking about making some gumbo tomorrow... great grandmother's recipe. Southern recipes are some of the best on the planet.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #1713: September 05, 2012, 07:45:12 AM »
Given we can't all share the great gumbo, please share the recipe

Thinking about making some gumbo tomorrow... great grandmother's recipe. Southern recipes are some of the best on the planet.

• babble on
« Reply #1714: September 05, 2012, 09:29:54 AM »
The making of the roux has always been a bit of a gumbo roadblock for me...that stuff is like catching lightning in a bottle.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #1715: September 05, 2012, 09:32:40 AM »
Pfft, child's play.

• babble on
« Reply #1716: September 05, 2012, 09:34:14 AM »
 :lol:

Aight Prudhomme, let's see your stuff...

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #1717: September 05, 2012, 09:37:43 AM »
Roux is that flour and butter thing ain't it?  :lol:

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1718: September 05, 2012, 09:43:34 AM »
Join yuppie land and get an America's Test Kitchen cook book- they give you exacting enough directions that it's hard to screw up

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #1719: September 05, 2012, 10:32:20 AM »
Given we can't all share the great gumbo, please share the recipe

Pictures please!!

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1720: September 05, 2012, 07:00:36 PM »
It's a good recipe so I'll share - I actually have 20 minutes to just wait around for it to finish.

This recipe requires you have a little cooking experience - need to know how to saute veggies and when to stop. If you are scared on how to make a rue look it up - there are many youtube videos and detailed instructions out there. Also if you want to make this recipe ahead of time, just do steps 1-4. Save the last step for when you want to serve the dish.

Time: 1.5 - 2.5 hrs
Ingredients:
5 slices bacon, cooked & diced (keep drippings)
4 tbsp flour
1.5 qt chicken broth
2 tbsp butter or margarine
2 large onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 small green pepper, minced
3 cups chopped okra
1 lb can peeled tomatoes, drained & chopped (keep liquid)
4 bay leaves
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
dash of Tabasco
dash of cayenne
dash of Worcestershire
2 lb shrimp, shelled & divined
1 lb crab meat or 6 crabs, cleaned (you can buy the cheapest canned crab meat in the store - look by the fish & meat department!)
Cooked Rice
Saltine crackers

Steps:

1. Fry bacon in heavy, non stick saucepan until crisp. Set bacon aside on paper towels.
2. Stir flour into drippings, cook until lightly browned, stirring constantly. This makes a rue. Gradually stir in some broth, avoiding lumps. It should be like gravy. Set aside.
3. Melt the butter/margarine in a soup pot, and add in onions, garlic, green peppers, and saute. Then add okra and tomatoes (drained).
4. Stir skillet (rue) mixture into soup pot. Add the tomato liquid, chicken broth, chopped bacon, and all seasoning. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for about 1 hour (steps 1-4 can be prepared ahead of time if need be).
5. About 30 minutes before serving, add seafood and salt if necessary. Cook slowly.

Serve along with cooked rice, crackers and Tabasco sauce. Enjoy!

Possible substitutions:
I substituted celery for green peppers today, didn't have any peppers on hand. Turns out fine.
You can easily "cheapen" this recipe by replacing some of the crab meat with cooked chicken breast. Just cook the chicken on the side, chop up, and add to the gumbo.

I'll post pictures soon, after the game.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1721: September 05, 2012, 07:41:02 PM »
Turned out good.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1722: September 05, 2012, 08:17:40 PM »
Roux is that flour and butter thing ain't it?  :lol:

Butter!   

:lmao:

Oil, at dangerously hot temperatures.   Flour sifted finely, fast enough to allow for completion before the early granules burn, but slow enough to maintain separation.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1723: September 05, 2012, 08:24:01 PM »
Turned out good.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Lo, that looks delicious. 

I haven't seen a roux done with bacon fat before, but why not?

My recipe is otherwise very similar, though I would typically add filé for a nice additional flavor element and it also helps the sauce to thicken, if needed.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1724: September 05, 2012, 08:40:51 PM »
Lo, that looks delicious. 

I haven't seen a roux done with bacon fat before, but why not?

My recipe is otherwise very similar, though I would typically add filé for a nice additional flavor element and it also helps the sauce to thicken, if needed.

Ah I find the super sticky okra and roux to be fine enough. If it's not thick enough I just make more roux. File sounds good, I might try that next time :) though as a "poor" college student I don't just have it lying around.