Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2009-2012)  (Read 100961 times)

Offline aspenbubba

Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it.
« Reply #1175: October 19, 2011, 06:57:42 PM »
Can't remember the name, but the place on the corner of 23rd and s eads is decent (and they deliver beer) Try ledo if they deliver to you- IMHO the best of the chain pizzas around here

I agree. Used to go to the original in Adelphi/ College park. They claim that the franchises sauce is different from the original location.

BTW, I got a Poppa Johns free pizza. It was worse than the old Dominos recipe.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #1176: October 19, 2011, 07:10:11 PM »
And speaking of Donuts , why hasn't anyone mentioned HOT Krispy Kremes., ( I love them). Could eat a half dozen without even thinking about it. As a matter of fact I have.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1177: October 19, 2011, 07:16:01 PM »
And speaking of Donuts , why hasn't anyone mentioned HOT Krispy Kremes., ( I love them). Could eat a half dozen without even thinking about it. As a matter of fact I have.

My wife's old office in Boston was above mall where you could watch the whole frying and frosting process- I used to love meeting her for lunch

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1178: October 19, 2011, 07:33:06 PM »
...HOT Krispy Kremes., ( I love them)...

I'm not a fan of glazed donuts, just cream (or is it kreme?) filled cake donuts.  We gotta stop talking about donuts or I'm gonna go on a binge and purge of a dozen Vanilla Kreme filled from the DD!!!!

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #1179: October 19, 2011, 10:19:45 PM »
I want donuts now :(. Man I love peanut butter filled ones.

I don't have a Krispy Kreme or a DD or anything.

Offline blue911

« Reply #1180: October 19, 2011, 10:24:26 PM »
I want donuts now :(. Man I love peanut butter filled ones.

I don't have a Krispy Kreme or a DD or anything.

Make your own, they aren't that hard.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #1181: October 20, 2011, 12:03:11 AM »

Well I can't now unless I somehow use the heat off of one of the mainframes to boil some oil or something :lol:

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #1182: October 20, 2011, 08:51:22 AM »
If anyone says deep dish / Chicago style is pizza, all I have to say is that Ike Sewell was from Texas and wanted to design something heftier for his type of people (Texans, not Italians).  That stuff is good in its own right, but calling it pizza is like calling Roy Halladay / Stephen Strasburg / Jordan Zimmermann a southpaw. It's just poor nomenclature.

Deep Dish is NOT "Chicago-style" Pizza, it is "post 1980 Chicago style" pizza.  Closest I've come to the pizza of my youth is Rosati's, but I've gotta go home to get that. Haven't found a "Chicago-style" pizza around here.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #1183: October 20, 2011, 09:11:05 AM »
The closest I have found is some place off the main road (one way) in Laurel, MD. I miss Tony & Lils, they had amazing thin crust sausage and peppers pizza. Granted I mostly make it myself now.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1184: October 20, 2011, 01:04:44 PM »
Deep Dish is NOT "Chicago-style" Pizza, it is "post 1980 Chicago style" pizza.  Closest I've come to the pizza of my youth is Rosati's, but I've gotta go home to get that. Haven't found a "Chicago-style" pizza around here.

What distinguishes a pizza as "Chicago-style"?   

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1185: October 20, 2011, 01:06:06 PM »
That's not what your wife told me

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1186: October 20, 2011, 01:07:07 PM »
That's not what your wife told me

:shock:

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #1187: October 20, 2011, 01:42:58 PM »
What distinguishes a pizza as "Chicago-style"?   

For me its a thin crust, almost a cracker crust but not quite that consistency, then there's the flavors of the sauce, the cheese and the italian sausage

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1188: October 20, 2011, 02:08:18 PM »
For me its a thin crust, almost a cracker crust but not quite that consistency, then there's the flavors of the sauce, the cheese and the italian sausage

Wikipedia disagrees with you:

The Chicago-style "deep-dish" pizza was invented at Pizzeria Uno, in Chicago, in 1943,[1] reportedly by Uno's founder Ike Sewell, a former University of Texas football star. However, a 1956 article from the Chicago Daily News asserts that Uno's original pizza chef Rudy Malnati developed the recipe.[2]

This pizza is far from the roots of an original Italian pizza. It does not include thin crusts or delicate toppings, but rather it is made with a heavy, thick crust and large amounts of cheese, sauce and ingredients.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago-style_pizza

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #1189: October 20, 2011, 02:27:10 PM »
But expertise from Wikipedia is like someone from Dallas claiming they know all about lobster.

Wikipedia disagrees with you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago-style_pizza

Offline The Chief

« Reply #1190: October 20, 2011, 02:28:39 PM »
But expertise from Wikipedia is like someone from Dallas claiming they know all about lobster.

Except when they cite their sources.  I honestly don't understand the fuddy duddies who still act like Wikipedia is somebody's blog.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #1191: October 20, 2011, 02:29:30 PM »
Okay I take it back, in this case, the cited sources DO look like somebody's blog :lmao: :-[

Still, I think there are probably quite a few legit sources who would argue that "deep dish" is the "real" Chicago-style pizza.  Not saying Galah's wrong, but maybe we're talking about two different things.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #1192: October 20, 2011, 02:31:13 PM »
I guess I see Wikipdeia as generalists.  Someone from the source (such as Chicago) would be a better resource than an organization that gets as much of its information from facts as from lore.

Except when they cite their sources.  I honestly don't understand the fuddy duddies who still act like Wikipedia is somebody's blog.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #1193: October 20, 2011, 02:32:32 PM »
I guess I see Wikipdeia as generalists.  Someone from the source (such as Chicago) would be a better resource than an organization that gets as much of its information from facts as from lore.

Without knowing how old Galah is, I can't really comment.  5 minutes on Google gives me the impression that the modern definition of "Chicago-style" has its roots in the mid-1940's.  I agree that Wikipedia is not a good source for "serious" research, but it can be a great launchpad.  And the alternative you describe is just anecdotal evidence - hardly a rigorous approach.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1194: October 20, 2011, 03:47:04 PM »
i've always thought of chicago-style as deep dish, cheese on the bottom, chunky tomato sauce and toppings on top.   

and then there's giordano's:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1195: October 20, 2011, 04:06:43 PM »

I'm not convinced that the flavors of the sauce, cheese, and Italian sausage are different in Chicago than in other places.  Aren't Italians, and the sausage styles they brought, pretty much all over the U.S. such that flavor variations from market to market are nearly nil?

I've only ever heard "Chicago style" in the context of deep dish pizzas, which for me tended to be Armand's in Old Town (the "Penalty Box"   :lol:  )

But having only been to Chicago once and not for pizza, I remain open to being convinced it was all a marketing sham, the whole deep dish thing.   

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1196: October 20, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
Wait... Bimonte's in Cheshire?
Hamden was the original.  I never got to it, but I think it is from the same family as Pepe's.  New Haven pizza is ultra-thin, irregular in shape because it cannot be twirled that thin, has a crisp crust.  coal=fired brick ovens, baked at 650 F.  derivative of neapolitan style.  Even I don't object to using coal for this, although all of wooster square should be routed to a selective catalytic reduction unit to give it a nice ammonia smell (just kidding).

Offline Dave B

« Reply #1197: October 20, 2011, 07:44:13 PM »
In crystal city, Pizza Autentica is pretty decent. not specatacular. but a solid 6 or 7.  its less fancy than Cafe Pizzaola. more  like a real pizzeria. order, heat in oven, pay, leave.  looks a little sbarro-ish, but is better. last time i had it, it was good and crispy.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1198: October 20, 2011, 09:41:39 PM »
I'm not convinced that the flavors of the sauce, cheese, and Italian sausage are different in Chicago than in other places.  Aren't Italians, and the sausage styles they brought, pretty much all over the U.S. such that flavor variations from market to market are nearly nil?

I've only ever heard "Chicago style" in the context of deep dish pizzas, which for me tended to be Armand's in Old Town (the "Penalty Box"   :lol:  )

But having only been to Chicago once and not for pizza, I remain open to being convinced it was all a marketing sham, the whole deep dish thing.   

Chicago-style hot dogs are pretty good (and Italian beef).  OK, I'm dying to get back to Chicago now. (or Windy City Red Hots in Leesburg).

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #1199: October 20, 2011, 09:43:08 PM »
I have officially and forever forsaken microwave popcorn.  Stove-top is infinitely better and takes roughly the same amount of time...