Author Topic: Committee To Improve Baseball  (Read 3934 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Committee To Improve Baseball
« Reply #25: December 17, 2009, 12:47:55 PM »
Also, I'm totally against automatic intentional walks.

The chance for a wild pitch or the extra stress put on the pitchers arm needs to be part of the game. Removing it would be wrong imo.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #26: December 17, 2009, 12:50:24 PM »
Add 2 more playoff teams to each league. Top 2 teams in each league get a first round bye.

3 vs 6; 4 vs 5.

1 vs (lowest seed winner)

2 vs (highest seed winner)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #27: December 17, 2009, 12:52:25 PM »
Add 2 more playoff teams to each league. Top 2 teams in each league get a first round bye.

3 vs 6; 4 vs 5.

How does this help solve the problem of scheduled November games?

Also, if you really think first round byes will help higher seeded teams you really don't know crap about baseball.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #28: December 17, 2009, 12:52:30 PM »
Nah - that would only extend the season into Nov or Dec

3 vs 6; 4 vs 5.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #29: December 17, 2009, 12:53:34 PM »
How does this help solve the problem of scheduled November games?

Also, if you really think first round byes will help higher seeded teams you really don't know crap about baseball.
Shorten the regular season to 150 games.

Teams with first round byes get automatic entrance into the Semi-Finals without having to play a game. While they are resting at home the team they will play against is playing in a competitive first round series.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #30: December 17, 2009, 12:57:11 PM »

Did you read the article at all?  The commissioner said he and the owners will NEVER approve shortening the 162 game season.

Teams with first round byes get automatic entrance into the Semi-Finals without having to play a game. While they are resting at home the team they will play against is playing in a competitive first round series.

Teams who "rest" in baseball have historically performed poorly.  Baseball is about momentum and consistency - especially late in the season - and if you have guys who are used to having only one day off ever week or so and suddenly give them six-eight days off at the end of the season they will be more likely to fail instead of less likely.

Look at recent history (since the inception of the Division Series) and see how many examples there are of teams advancing when having significant rest.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #31: December 17, 2009, 12:57:49 PM »

do you really think owners or the mlbpa want a shortened season?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #32: December 17, 2009, 01:36:58 PM »

Teams who "rest" in baseball have historically performed poorly.  Baseball is about momentum and consistency - especially late in the season - and if you have guys who are used to having only one day off ever week or so and suddenly give them six-eight days off at the end of the season they will be more likely to fail instead of less likely.

Look at recent history (since the inception of the Division Series) and see how many examples there are of teams advancing when having significant rest.

+1 on this.  You look at when they started adding all the extra off days for TV in the mid 2000s.  The Tigers were the first team to sit for about a week before the World Series while the other league's LCS went long, then the Rockies had to the next year.  Both of those teams had their momentum killed.  The Tigers series especially was error prone by the Tigers pitchers.  The one idea Boz had about removign the off days in the LCS is a must.  2 - 3- 2, with only an off day when you switch towns.  That's more like regular season. Time the divison series so game 5 would be on Monday or Tuesday, start the LCS Wednesday and Thursday, and have games 3- 4-5  either Friday -Sun or Sat - Mon.  Yes, there is a bit of conflict with college and pro football, but it is only one weekend early in the year. If Monday is Columbus Day, then you can shift the Sunday game 5 to afternoon on Monday.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #33: December 17, 2009, 02:22:37 PM »
Plus I hate this thing where you only need 2-3 good starters to get through the playoffs.  Teams are constructed mostly for the long season, where depth is  nearly as important as front line players, but suddenly in the playoffs having just a couple of premier starters can do it for you.  It's almost like a change in the natural laws of baseball when you suddenly  have all these days off to skip weaker pitchers.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #34: December 17, 2009, 02:23:55 PM »
Plus I hate this thing where you only need 2-3 good starters to get through the playoffs.  Teams are constructed mostly for the long season, where depth is  nearly as important as front line players, but suddenly in the playoffs having just a couple of premier starters can do it for you.  It's almost like a change in the natural laws of baseball when you suddenly  have all these days off to skip weaker pitchers.

I think this is just one example in many which truly shows how the post-season is just so different from the regular season that it's almost like watching a different sport.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #35: December 17, 2009, 02:29:48 PM »

don't forget that you don't need a whole bullpen since you can run out your best guys every game and still know they will be ready for the rest.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #37: March 10, 2010, 12:33:10 PM »
So... anyone read this yet? Floating divisions? Yikes.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/tom_verducci/03/09/floating-realignment/index.html?eref=writers

Bowden had an interesting idea for realignment that would loosely maintain geographic similarities, while also putting teams in a similar economic class.  It would do away with the NL / AL distinction.

So for example, the Phillies and Mets would be in the same division with the Yankees and Red Sox (and Toronto too, didn't say it was perfect).

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #38: March 10, 2010, 12:40:36 PM »
I heard about this on the radio this morning and initially thought it was pretty dumb, I know it's only something they put on the table to consider but I don't see how having teams jump from division to division multiple times or every year or two would go over with fans, owners, management, etc. I get that they are trying to level the playing field and compensate for the disparity in realistic postseason competition cause by enormous payrolls but at first mention it sounded a little crazy. I appreciate the out of the box thinking though, but it will be interesting to learn more about it. I wouldn't mind a one time divisonal realignment or something like that though (although I kind of like the current make up of the NL East).

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #39: March 10, 2010, 12:42:40 PM »
Bowden had an interesting idea for realignment that would loosely maintain geographic similarities, while also putting teams in a similar economic class.  It would do away with the NL / AL distinction.

So for example, the Phillies and Mets would be in the same division with the Yankees and Red Sox (and Toronto too, didn't say it was perfect).

So it would do away with the DH?  :pray:

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #40: March 10, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
So... anyone read this yet? Floating divisions? Yikes.
That could be interesting.  Don't see it happening though.  It would also likely necessitate a uniform DH one way or another if they're going to allow movement between leagues.  It could lead to the abolition of leagues all together.  I think the potential implilcations of such a move would be pretty significant.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #41: March 10, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
I think it'd more likely do the exact opposite...

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #42: March 10, 2010, 12:53:42 PM »
Does anyone know if they discussed salary caps and floors in his little committee?

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #43: March 10, 2010, 12:58:18 PM »
Does anyone know if they discussed salary caps and floors in his little committee?

I'm sure it's been brought up before, if it wasn't talked about their meeting. It's one of those things that will be hard to do because the wealthy owners/teams don't benefit from it and will drag their feet.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #44: March 10, 2010, 01:25:07 PM »
Was it D-crab who gave up a home run during a pitch out when he played for the Orioles?

Also, I'm totally against automatic intentional walks.

The chance for a wild pitch or the extra stress put on the pitchers arm needs to be part of the game. Removing it would be wrong imo.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #45: March 10, 2010, 01:29:22 PM »

I am trying to recall what he said about that.  Perhaps that baseball either adopts the DH, or does away with it, but not both.

Offline blue911

« Reply #46: March 10, 2010, 01:42:19 PM »
"The Committee to Improve Baseball" ? How about- You've freaked it up enough, leave it alone. Work on getting a CBA in place for after the 2011 season.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #47: March 10, 2010, 02:07:34 PM »
"The Committee to Improve Baseball" ? How about- You've freaked it up enough, leave it alone. Work on getting a CBA in place for after the 2011 season.

I don't know about that.  If they would make "stepping out of the batter's box to adjust your glove" an ejecting offense, I'd be all in favor of the committee's work.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #48: March 10, 2010, 03:35:03 PM »
I don't know about that.  If they would make "stepping out of the batter's box to adjust your glove" an ejecting offense, I'd be all in favor of the committee's work.

Nomar officially retired today. That alone will chop 3 minutes off the average game.

Still, he is one of those players will always be known by one name.  I/M/O, before he was HBP from Reyes and lost his power, he was better than Jeter and in a conversation with A-Rod.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #49: March 11, 2010, 07:15:11 PM »

Bowden had an interesting idea for realignment that would loosely maintain geographic similarities, while also putting teams in a similar economic class.  It would do away with the NL / AL distinction.

You give Bowden too much credit. He's parroting an article he read.

Killing off the AL and NL is sad because of the history. Becomes like the Eastern and Western Conferences in the NBA.

I think they should have relegation? like in European soccer. The Rangers AAA team would replace the Royals.