Author Topic: DH Dead?  (Read 3770 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: DH Dead?
« Reply #25: December 16, 2009, 01:59:40 PM »
Except we're getting the central this year.  I was excited when I saw the Royals on there...but they're in DC, so that does nothing for me.It just has always seemed odd to me they'd run things like that.

Are they going to Cleveland? I was going to go to Cleveland last time they had the central but they got the Blue Jays instead and never played the Indians.

If the interleague were not set up at random with teams in the same division playing different sets of opponents - if it was NFL style, I would like it more.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #26: December 16, 2009, 01:59:44 PM »
Boswell wouldn't call himself a journalist.  That's why he has a column, not a beat.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #27: December 16, 2009, 02:05:12 PM »
couldn't agree more, I think it makes the game more watchable when you have different styles played. Next thing people will want standard dimmensions in outfields and foul territory

Agreed as well.  And if that actually happens I would like baseball a lot less. 

I think the NHL would benefit from allowing teams to select North American Ice Surface or International Ice Surface and give GM's a chance to build teams around which size rink they use. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #28: December 16, 2009, 02:11:58 PM »
Other than the NL and its minor league affiliates, how many leagues / levels play without a DH?  Is there a DH in high school now?  International uses a DH, I'm pretty sure college does.  

Personally, I think a DH makes the game more of a players' game than a manager's game.  By taking the pitcher out of the offense, you do lose the one out bunt, the double switch, the keeping a pitcher in too long because he is due up next inning, and the save your better reliever because you don't want to do a double switch and the pitcher is up next inning.  

I'd give up that "strategy" for the chance to see a pitcher gut out extra innings when he gets shelled in the first in order to save the bullpen, seeing my best reliever for the situation come in, fewer automatic outs, and more skill at bat and in the field that you get out of regulars.  

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29: December 16, 2009, 02:14:44 PM »
Are they going to Cleveland? I was going to go to Cleveland last time they had the central but they got the Blue Jays instead and never played the Indians.

If the interleague were not set up at random with teams in the same division playing different sets of opponents - if it was NFL style, I would like it more.

True NFL style would have a team play a division from the opposite league and get extra games against a team in your own league that finished the same place in its division as you did.   

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #30: December 16, 2009, 02:15:09 PM »
I watch baseball for the chess-like strategy in the NL. Meatheads in the Bronx can watch the DH mash meaningless homers.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #31: December 16, 2009, 02:15:44 PM »
True NFL style would have a team play a division from the opposite league and get extra games against a team in your own league that finished the same place in its division as you did.   

Sounds fair.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #32: December 16, 2009, 02:16:17 PM »
Are they going to Cleveland?
I'm not sure.   

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33: December 16, 2009, 02:19:57 PM »
I watch baseball for the chess-like strategy in the NL.

Does anyone remember when they broadcast Boby Fischer vs. Boris Spassky, with in studio grandmasters anlayzing each move between moves. I think that was how Grandmaster Flash started.  Of course, no one thought they could televise poker

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #34: December 16, 2009, 02:20:04 PM »
Other than the NL and its minor league affiliates, how many leagues / levels play without a DH?  Is there a DH in high school now?  International uses a DH, I'm pretty sure college does. 

Personally, I think a DH makes the game more of a players' game than a manager's game.  By taking the pitcher out of the offense, you do lose the one out bunt, the double switch, the keeping a pitcher in too long because he is due up next inning, and the save your better reliever because you don't want to do a double switch and the pitcher is up next inning. 

I'd give up that "strategy" for the chance to see a pitcher gut out extra innings when he gets shelled in the first in order to save the bullpen, seeing my best reliever for the situation come in, fewer automatic outs, and more skill at bat and in the field that you get out of regulars. 

Or.....

You could make the minors split up into affiliates of AL and NL teams only-leagues and play DH/no DH in the minors and pitchers could stop being wusses and learn to swing a freaking bat and actually try being, you know, athletes?

I don't see anything wrong with DH in one league and no DH in another.  Gives you the best of both worlds.  And I hate the DH.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #35: December 16, 2009, 02:20:51 PM »
Other than the NL and its minor league affiliates, how many leagues / levels play without a DH?  Is there a DH in high school now?  International uses a DH, I'm pretty sure college does. 
I think it's used just about everywhere except little league, where everyone hits, and the National League.  I don't know if select leagues use it or not. 

In the minors the DH is used unless there are two NL affiliates in which case, it's up to the teams if they want to use it for that game or not (it has to be uniform for both teams, but you could see it vary from game to game, if I understand that system correctly).  So if you had Omaha (AAA for KC) and Iowa (AAA for CHC) they would use the DH, but if it were Iowa and Memphis (AAA for StL) you may or may not see the DH.  Confused yet?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #36: December 16, 2009, 02:21:41 PM »
Does anyone remember when they broadcast Boby Fischer vs. Boris Spassky, with in studio grandmasters anlayzing each move between moves. I think that was how Grandmaster Flash started.  Of course, no one thought they could televise poker
It's hard to have pocket cams for Chess though...

Offline blue911

« Reply #37: December 16, 2009, 02:23:15 PM »
It's hard to have pocket cams for Chess though...

It was in HD though.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #38: December 16, 2009, 02:24:51 PM »
It was in HD though.
Nice.  Watching while they stare at the board intently is so much better in HD.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #39: December 16, 2009, 02:28:46 PM »
Personally, I think a DH makes the game more of a players' game than a manager's game.  By taking the pitcher out of the offense, you do lose the one out bunt, the double switch, the keeping a pitcher in too long because he is due up next inning, and the save your better reliever because you don't want to do a double switch and the pitcher is up next inning. 

It's strategy, not "strategy".  And more complex, and nuanced strategies are exactly why the NL game is more interesting to follow than the relatively mindless AL automatic lineups.  The NL game requires teams to more fully utilize their benches, which means advantages in personnel are important in all 25 roster slots, not just the starters. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #40: December 16, 2009, 02:30:19 PM »
Nice.  Watching while they stare at the board intently is so much better in HD.

The white squares were really white.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #41: December 16, 2009, 02:31:44 PM »
The white squares were really white.

It's the black level that distinguishes a very fine HDTV.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #42: December 16, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »
It's the black level that distinguishes a very fine HDTV.

Screw TVs, I want to know is when we're gonna get 120Hz LED backlit Computer monitors :?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #43: December 16, 2009, 02:34:59 PM »
Screw TVs, I want to know is when we're gonna get 120Hz LED backlit Computer monitors :?

Yeah, 240Hz for a TV is ridiculous overkill, where for a computer that could make sense some day.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #44: December 16, 2009, 02:46:45 PM »
Yeah, 240Hz for a TV is ridiculous overkill, where for a computer that could make sense some day.

It would make sense right now.  The difference is very noticeable.  Being able to game at 85 Hz or better is the one thing I miss about CRTs.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #45: December 16, 2009, 03:02:31 PM »
In all of that article, that's what struck you the most?  For freak's sake this is baseball, not politics.

QFT  It's impossible for some people to keep politics out of anything and everything.

I disagree.  I actually like the fact it's different in both leagues.  These are independently operating LEAGUES not one whole league separated by conferences.  I like the DH just the way it is - this way fans have a choice which brand they like better.

+1

Deuce

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #46: December 16, 2009, 04:07:18 PM »
i'd love to see it go, but I'd bet that we'll get it in the NL before they remove it in the AL.

Was it Bob Brenley who said that managing in an AL park was like a day off?

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #47: December 16, 2009, 04:46:28 PM »
that would be so great. down with the DH. takes the fun out of baseball... the other thing is, by standardizing the DH, you've significantly decreased the value of relievers and bench players... so that increased value for them cancels out with the DHs. and let's be honest, most DHs can field, they just suck at it.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #48: December 16, 2009, 04:48:25 PM »
that would be so great. down with the DH. takes the fun out of baseball... the other thing is, by standardizing the DH, you've significantly decreased the value of relievers and bench players... so that increased value for them cancels out with the DHs. and let's be honest, most DHs can field, they just suck at it.
Yep, just look at Adam Dunn :stir:

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #49: December 16, 2009, 05:02:38 PM »