Author Topic: Roy Halladay sets Deadline for Trade Talks  (Read 405 times)

Offline Dexter Morgan

Roy Halladay sets Deadline for Trade Talks
« Topic Start: December 01, 2009, 12:17:59 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4702760

Roy Halladay, the All-Star pitcher who has been the subject of much trade talk since before last July's deadline, will not approve any proposed deal after he reports to spring training, according to his representatives.

This means that the Toronto Blue Jays either will have to work out a trade of the right-hander by the end of the offseason, or be prepared to receive only draft-pick compensation when the pitcher becomes eligible for free agency in the fall of 2010.

Halladay, through the terms of his contract, has the power to veto any trade.

Offline PatsNats28

Re: Roy Halladay sets Deadline for Trade Talks
« Reply #1: December 01, 2009, 05:21:52 PM »
Why is Halladay being such a douche? I can understand he wants to leave, but by doing this, he is just undermining the Jays because they've lost leverage in trade talks. Same with saying he won't resign in Toronto - it's fine if he wants to leave, but by saying that the Jays lose a ton of leverage. Seems a bit cheap towards the team that gave him a shot when he was in A ball after crashing.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Next year, maybe?
« Reply #2: December 01, 2009, 05:25:23 PM »
I don't think he's being a douche. I think he's just putting it out there because he doesn't want to deal with the distraction of possibly trade talks screwing with his head.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #3: December 01, 2009, 05:30:42 PM »
Why is Halladay being such a douche? I can understand he wants to leave, but by doing this, he is just undermining the Jays because they've lost leverage in trade talks. Same with saying he won't resign in Toronto - it's fine if he wants to leave, but by saying that the Jays lose a ton of leverage. Seems a bit cheap towards the team that gave him a shot when he was in A ball after crashing.

maybe he's making his next team better lowering the haul the jays will get for him?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #4: December 02, 2009, 08:14:32 AM »

Or it ups his leverage with the Jays and he really would rather stay there.  Lots of players do this.