Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread  (Read 23900 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• M. V. P.
Re: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread
« Reply #350: April 02, 2012, 09:43:57 AM »
Great last two hours of the show. Took a while to get going but once it did, it was awesome.

I thought the opening match was straight cash.  And the Team Johnny vs. Team Teddy match was a colossal waste of time.

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #351: April 02, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
Really wondering where they go from here. Maybe cena goes full heel and goes against punk, though he's more likely to come out tonight and blow off the whole thing with some snarkiness.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
« Reply #352: April 02, 2012, 11:04:26 AM »
Really wondering where they go from here. Maybe cena goes full heel and goes against punk, though he's more likely to come out tonight and blow off the whole thing with some snarkiness.

What I liked about the end of the match last night was... that his snarkiness is what cost him the match.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #353: April 02, 2012, 11:11:57 AM »
Great last two hours of the show. Took a while to get going but once it did, it was awesome.

This.

The crowd was decent but the actual stage/set was amazing.  Too bad they didn't use it all.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #354: April 02, 2012, 11:13:45 AM »
What I liked about the end of the match last night was... that his snarkiness is what cost him the match.

Yup...I said that when it happened...but the look he gave afterward didn't make me think the full heel turn is about to happen.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #355: April 02, 2012, 11:13:54 AM »
I just wanted to say:

you're both wrong, rock and taker

called it

Offline Minty Fresh

• M. V. P.
« Reply #356: April 02, 2012, 11:34:56 AM »
I'd love a Cena heel turn but I don't see it happening.  With his Make a Wish and his Be A Star work there's no way they can turn him heel.

Offline Minty Fresh

• M. V. P.
« Reply #357: April 02, 2012, 11:35:57 AM »
I just wanted to say:

called it

Further proof that the WWE doesn't know what they're doing.   8)

Offline The Chief

« Reply #358: April 02, 2012, 11:36:25 AM »
Don't hate the player ;)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #359: April 02, 2012, 11:39:45 AM »
I'd love a Cena heel turn but I don't see it happening.  With his Make a Wish and his Be A Star work there's no way they can turn him heel.

Ugh they really have gotten so lame. There was a perfect time for Cena to be heel last night when he mocked the Rock.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #360: April 02, 2012, 11:45:31 AM »

damn AJ is cute/hot/awesome

Offline Minty Fresh

• M. V. P.
« Reply #361: April 02, 2012, 12:16:14 PM »
Ugh they really have gotten so lame. There was a perfect time for Cena to be heel last night when he mocked the Rock.

I agree it compromises the show but could you see him working with all of those kids and charities and then turning around to be The Dr. of Thugonomics again?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #362: April 02, 2012, 12:28:23 PM »
I assumed he already was a heel based on the way you guys talked about him and described crowd reaction

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
« Reply #363: April 02, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
I assumed he already was a heel based on the way you guys talked about him and described crowd reaction

He's universally hated for the most part (outside of families and girls)... but he's hated for the same reason people started to hate Hogan in the early 90's. He's the over the top face that always seems to overcome the odds.

Plus, Cena never sells very much, so he usually makes his opponent's offense look pretty weak.

Great dude that busts his ass for the company... but his character is played out.

Offline Minty Fresh

• M. V. P.
« Reply #364: April 02, 2012, 12:45:02 PM »
He's universally hated for the most part (outside of families and girls)... but he's hated for the same reason people started to hate Hogan in the early 90's. He's the over the top face that always seems to overcome the odds.
Great dude that busts his ass for the company

Agree

Plus, Cena never sells very much, so he usually makes his opponent's offense look pretty weak.

... but his character is played out.

Disagree.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
« Reply #365: April 02, 2012, 01:19:54 PM »
Disagree.

Here's my complaint.

Cena gets beat on all match... he's taking the beating as he should... then he hulks up, five moves of doom, runs around as if he hasn't been taking a beating for 20 minutes and boom, match over.

This isn't 1990 again. You can't just shake off 20 minutes of a beat down like it never happened and run the ropes at full strength. That's Cena's main problem... once he fires into his comeback, it's like the prior events of the match never occurred.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #366: April 02, 2012, 01:51:34 PM »
What?!  You mean people don't just get crazy eyes and become invulnerable anymore?   Next you're going to tell me that heels don't use back rakes and eye gouges! :( ;)

Offline Minty Fresh

• M. V. P.
« Reply #367: April 02, 2012, 01:54:16 PM »
Here's my complaint.

Cena gets beat on all match... he's taking the beating as he should... then he hulks up, five moves of doom, runs around as if he hasn't been taking a beating for 20 minutes and boom, match over.

This isn't 1990 again. You can't just shake off 20 minutes of a beat down like it never happened and run the ropes at full strength. That's Cena's main problem... once he fires into his comeback, it's like the prior events of the match never occurred.

There are so very few guys who sell for an entire match now anyways.  HBK was the same, Austin, The Rock, all the same.  And how about that CM Punk v. Jericho match last night?  I don't find it to be as egregious as some folks do and if anything it makes me appreciate the guys who do it well even more. 

FWIW, I think Ziggler is the best seller out there right now.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #368: April 02, 2012, 02:01:21 PM »
linty is speaking the truth recently ...

cena is a first class individual, he'd be one of the best in the game if (as linty mentioned) - cena sold his opponents moves a bit more and if his character wasn't so played out.  but he's a hard worker and tremendous community outreach dude for the company.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
« Reply #369: April 02, 2012, 02:02:09 PM »
There are so very few guys who sell for an entire match now anyways.  HBK was the same, Austin, The Rock, all the same.  And how about that CM Punk v. Jericho match last night?  I don't find it to be as egregious as some folks do and if anything it makes me appreciate the guys who do it well even more. 

FWIW, I think Ziggler is the best seller out there right now.

Ziggler's flip on Ryder's monkey flip out of the corner was fantastic last night.

You're right, no one does it better than him right now.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #370: April 02, 2012, 02:03:58 PM »
HBK was the same, Austin, The Rock, all the same.

I'm going to assume you mean now (or late in their careers), because I couldn't disagree more in their rising star days...  well, maybe Austin, I always found him a bit stiff, but I don't necessarily want to say it was for a lack of effort on his part.

Offline Minty Fresh

• M. V. P.
« Reply #371: April 02, 2012, 02:29:14 PM »
I'm going to assume you mean now (or late in their careers), because I couldn't disagree more in their rising star days...  well, maybe Austin, I always found him a bit stiff, but I don't necessarily want to say it was for a lack of effort on his part.

I guess we're remembering it differently?  The Rock was one of the worst.  He would get beat on and just popup to his feet much in the same fashion linty described a few posts ago - and nobody in the world was a bigger Rock mark than me.  LOVED The Rock.

With HBK I tended to cut him a little slack because he could be backed into a corner against the turnbuckles and pull a super-kick out of nowhere to win a match.

Modern day I'd say Randy Orton is pretty bad - he tried to use the RKO much in the same way HBK used the kick but it just doesn't translate since Orton has to grapple his opponent to land the move.

By the way . . . speaking of Orton . . . How about the WWE putting over Kane last night?  What's that do for his career going forward?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
« Reply #372: April 02, 2012, 02:31:19 PM »
By the way . . . speaking of Orton . . . How about the WWE putting over Kane last night?  What's that do for his career going forward?

[Vince] That's what he gets for saying mandatory time off for WWE wrestlers seems like it might be a good idea. [/Vince]

Also, I'm not remembering The Rock that way at all. Guess my memory is a bit hazy on the subject.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #373: April 02, 2012, 02:39:24 PM »
Minty I thought you were talking about selling the match, not hulking out.  Even I will admit The Rock did that sometimes (hence the crazy eyes reference), but I thought Linty was making two separate points there.

Go watch his IC Ladder match with Triple H, his I quit match with Foley, or the '98 survivor series and tell me he didn't sell.

Offline Minty Fresh

• M. V. P.
« Reply #374: April 02, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »
Minty I thought you were talking about selling the match, not hulking out.  Even I will admit The Rock did that sometimes (hence the crazy eyes reference), but I thought Linty was making two separate points there.

Go watch his IC Ladder match with Triple H, his I quit match with Foley, or the '98 survivor series and tell me he didn't sell.

If that's what we're talking about then it's not really a very fair critique of Cena - or just about anyone for that matter.