Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread  (Read 22608 times)

Online Minty Fresh

• ALL WAYS ARE MY WAYS!
Re: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread
« Reply #250: March 06, 2012, 04:29:55 PM »
I prefer to remember the glory days :'(

As do I which is why this stuff on RAW in recent weeks has made me uncomfortable.  If this is what I'm getting I wish he'd never come back.  I hope Cena BURIES him at WM28.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
« Reply #251: March 06, 2012, 04:30:43 PM »
Screw Cena.

If he had any acting talent, he would have left the WWE as well. Only difference is, he couldn't hack it as an actor, so of course he has to stay around WWE, he has no other place to go.

Online Minty Fresh

• ALL WAYS ARE MY WAYS!
« Reply #252: March 06, 2012, 04:31:58 PM »
FWIW, Meltzer says Vince told Cena to plant the seed in 2008 when Cena criticized Rock for leaving the WWE for Hollywood.

And he was right.  Dwayne can make his once-a-year appearance and tell everyone he missed his days here and can't wait to come back and "electrify the audience" again - but we know it's all bullcrap now and the audience doesn't want Dwayne Johnson - we want The Rock.

Online Minty Fresh

• ALL WAYS ARE MY WAYS!
« Reply #253: March 06, 2012, 04:32:51 PM »
Screw Cena.

If he had any acting talent, he would have left the WWE as well. Only difference is, he couldn't hack it as an actor, so of course he has to stay around WWE, he has no other place to go.

That may be true, but Cena's WWE material is kicking Dwayne's ass. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Bring on the ribs.
« Reply #254: March 06, 2012, 04:34:55 PM »
Cena was an o-lineman?  Isn't he kind of short for that?  DIII maybe.  Still, dude rules.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
« Reply #255: March 06, 2012, 04:35:09 PM »
Cena was an o-lineman?  Isn't he kind of short for that?  DIII maybe.  Still, dude rules.

D-III he was.

Online imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #256: March 06, 2012, 04:37:20 PM »
That may be true, but Cena's WWE material is kicking Dwayne's ass. 

last night the crowd absolutely hated him when he came out, by the time the confrontation with Rock was over it seemed that the crowd had largely flipped.

Online imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #257: March 06, 2012, 04:41:16 PM »
on another note, booking Shamus, Danielson, Punk, and Jericho to lock up before WM was terrible.  Booking 101 says two guys in a main event match should never touch until the bell rings in that match.  Instead you had Punk and Jericho exchanging arm drags and head locks last night.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #258: March 06, 2012, 05:39:18 PM »
Absolutely agreed that Cena has been great as of late, but I thought Rock's first two promo's last night were Attitude-Era-esque.  Just hilarious and creative. 

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #259: March 06, 2012, 05:40:27 PM »
i like the Kane vs. Orton angle too ... pretty cool to have them interrupt each other in their own shows.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #260: March 06, 2012, 05:46:01 PM »
I don't know if Cena and The Rock are starting to hate eachother but man there was some good writing between them last night if it was scripted. I think the best part was when John Cena turned a crowd chant into a humongous insult:

Crowd Chant (when Cena and Rock were staring eachother down) "Tewksbury! Tewksbury! Tewksbury!"
Cena: (paraphrased) I know ya'll are chanting Tewksbury but you all should be chanting "Toothfairy!"

It was perfectly delivered. The Rock's face was just priceless.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #261: March 06, 2012, 06:18:31 PM »
I don't know what the Tewksbury thing means, but that's still a pretty hilarious flip.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #262: March 06, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
I don't know what the Tewksbury thing means, but that's still a pretty hilarious flip.

Tewksbury MASS. I don't know if that's where The Rock is from or Cena or wherever they are close by but I know it was in reference to that city.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
« Reply #263: March 06, 2012, 06:29:12 PM »
Rock is from Hawaii I think.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• Lerners = Bluth family
« Reply #264: March 07, 2012, 12:35:01 AM »
lol @ modern wrestling

I miss these days:

Triple H Debuts with a Pretty Gay Vignette

Triple H had his rightful place as a jobber, Foley and Undertaker weren't a million years old and were kicking the living crap out of each other, Hart and Austin were becoming the new Flair/Steamboat, and Shawn Michaels was wrestling four-star matches in his sleep.

Online Minty Fresh

• ALL WAYS ARE MY WAYS!
« Reply #265: March 07, 2012, 07:14:30 AM »
Rock is from Hawaii I think.

I'll need to see his long-form birth certificate.

Online Minty Fresh

• ALL WAYS ARE MY WAYS!
« Reply #266: March 07, 2012, 07:16:07 AM »
And I finally got around to watching Raw last night.  Rock's promos with the "history lessons" were vintage Rock then he cam to the ring to confront Cena and became Dwayne and Cena totally punked him.

I hope Cena whoops his ass April 1.  He's not The Rock anymore.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
« Reply #267: March 07, 2012, 07:23:27 AM »
No. Cena no-sells Rock promos. Without selling, no promo gets over.

Online Minty Fresh

• ALL WAYS ARE MY WAYS!
« Reply #268: March 07, 2012, 07:29:48 AM »
No. Cena no-sells Rock promos. Without selling, no promo gets over.

Wrong.  Cena was no-selling DWAYNE promos.  He sold the history lessons last night. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
« Reply #269: March 07, 2012, 07:33:15 AM »
So you just said he no-sold the promo. It doesn't matter if its The Rock/Dwayne, Punk, Jericho, Taker, HHH, whomever.... If the guy in the ring refuses to sell the promo and instead sits there with a smirk on his face, the promo won't get over regardless of what the content is.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #270: March 07, 2012, 09:49:37 AM »
Johnny cena came to town riding on a pony
stuck a feather up his ass and called him a jabroni

Online imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #271: March 07, 2012, 10:03:53 AM »
so next week Rock sings while Cena raps.

This program is about to go off the rails.  Maybe they bring Donald Trump in as special guest referee next?

Online Minty Fresh

• ALL WAYS ARE MY WAYS!
« Reply #272: March 07, 2012, 12:10:09 PM »
So you just said he no-sold the promo. It doesn't matter if its The Rock/Dwayne, Punk, Jericho, Taker, HHH, whomever.... If the guy in the ring refuses to sell the promo and instead sits there with a smirk on his face, the promo won't get over regardless of what the content is.

He didn't sell the Dwayne promo because Dwayne Johnson isn't a WWE superstar.  If you can't tell the difference between the "history lesson" promos cut by The Rock and the incident in the ring last night with Dwayne then I cannot help you.  He sold The Rock, he punked Dwayne - which, by the way, is the gimmick.  The fans want The Rock and the "Prep-School Thug."  One guy plays the part, the other does not. 

And Cena sells on everyone else.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #273: March 07, 2012, 12:19:00 PM »
I don't even know much about Cena but I've never been impressed with him.  Minty's admiration of him is making T-Rex angry :P

Go Linty go! :mg:

This message brought to you by the letters L and M

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Lets go to work
« Reply #274: March 07, 2012, 12:22:45 PM »

And Cena sells on everyone else.

You haven't seen his matches for the last 10 years, right?

As for my point... maybe these two reviews will help articulate it better.

The Rock and John Cena closing segment: Cena's approach is obvious. He just no-sells everything The Rock says. No matter how serious Rock tries to make the segment, Cena stands there with a smirk on his face that damages the effect of what Rock is saying. Worse yet, Cena stepped all over Rock by talking as Rock was trying to get his closing lines out. The whole segment struck me as something that Cena can high-five any Rock hating wrestlers over, but it's just not as strong as it could be for the masses who aren't breaking down each frame in hopes of determining whether they are getting along behind the scenes.

Let's face it, The Rock's mic work requires his opponent to stand there and take it. Like anything in pro wrestling, it's not as effective when an opponent refuses to sell. I'm not saying Cena should stand there and take it all like a nobody, but there has to be some level of give and take, just as there is when Cena is tearing into his opponents on the mic. Sure, Rock can change his style, but should he have to? Is the point of all of this from Rock and Cena to get the better of one another or to sell WrestleMania 28? If it turns out this is all being done by design and it all makes sense when the hype ends a few weeks from now, then God bless them. At this point, though, it looks like they are in battle mode when they should be working together to sell the pay-per-view.

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/powelleditorials/article10023791.shtml

Rock - Cena: I enjoyed Rock on his own away from the live audience. I enjoyed Cena on his own away from the live audience. I did not enjoy Rock and Cena together in front of the live audience. Cena was fine at first, but I'm not buying his whole Rock vs. Dwayne Johnson routine. Rock was being very intense and serious here when getting in Cena's face, but instead of matching that intensity, Cena was acting goofy and making silly faces the entire time. He was acting like an impudent child interrupting Rock. That may make fans want to see Rock slap Cena, but it doesn't seem quite befitting the mood of what is supposed to be the biggest match in WM history. I liked where Rock was trying to go with the segment in terms of stripping away Hollywood and trending etc., but Cena undercut it in a childish way. Then, he went back to his jab from last week which I felt was unprofessional in writing notes on his wrist. I'm not as enamored as others are with this whole question of work/shoot? I don't care if it is a work or a shoot, or some hybrid of the two. I want it to be good and compelling tv. This was not. It was close. It could have been. But Cena's antics, along with the fact that it failed to underscore why they want to fight and beat each other in the first place makes it a Miss.

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/hitsandmisses/article_58850.shtml