Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread  (Read 27324 times)

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
Re: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread
« Reply #950: February 26, 2013, 05:54:03 PM »
Cena is obviously winning at WM. What better way to put your rising star in the industry over than to win the WWE title from the most electrifying man in sports entertainment.

freak this company.

Yep, Cena gets the title, and the probably works a program with Orton or Ryback.  Happy Days!

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #951: February 26, 2013, 07:23:36 PM »
Yep, Cena gets the title, and the probably works a program with Orton or Ryback.  Happy Days!

I wouldn't mind the favorites if their match outcomes weren't so obvious. For example, a swerve in the Shield match or Once in a Lifetime II match would shut me the hell up. But knowing Vince and co., they love to keep the lil jimmies and part time wrestling fans who order Wrestlemania happy, he's going to have Cena beat Rock and the superfaces beat the Shield.

The booing at Metlife will be hilarious though.

Then again, with my logic, most part time wrestling fans would probably cheer Rocky on.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Next year, maybe?
« Reply #952: February 27, 2013, 01:43:31 PM »
F4W reports:

And then realized they're his main two draws and likely got over it.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #953: February 27, 2013, 02:35:25 PM »
And then realized they're his main two draws and likely got over it.

[mintyfresh] Cena is so much better than everyone else in WWE [/mintyfresh]

Offline Minty Fresh

• Mantra of the SSS
« Reply #954: February 27, 2013, 06:30:26 PM »
[mintyfresh] Cena is so much better than everyone else in WWE [/mintyfresh]

[hammondsnats] I'm just a hater.  Go Orioles!  Go BRob and his socks! [/hammondsnats]   

8)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #955: February 28, 2013, 07:06:35 PM »
I see the generic Cena Hate hasn't stopped while I was gone.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #956: February 28, 2013, 07:34:51 PM »

And I see the blind Cena love continues strong. Enjoy Once in a Lifetime II.

Offline Minty Fresh

• Mantra of the SSS
« Reply #957: February 28, 2013, 08:14:49 PM »
And I see the blind Cena love continues strong. Enjoy Once in a Lifetime II.

This right here, is exactly why John Cena works.  He'll go away when both of these polarized points of view quell.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #958: February 28, 2013, 08:53:06 PM »
BUT GUYS THE MARINE IS SUCH A GOOD FLICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU CAN'T SEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #959: March 01, 2013, 12:07:13 AM »
This right here, is exactly why John Cena works.  He'll go away when both of these polarized points of view quell.

It doesn't work. The guy wins everything, or loses in a way that doesn't put him down at all, and he is pretty much hated by mostly everyone except for a few women and lil jimmies. A wrestler shouldn't keep the same gimmick over 10 years and have it written that he wins everything. It kills the development of everyone else as well as the product.

Offline Minty Fresh

• Mantra of the SSS
« Reply #960: March 01, 2013, 08:01:52 AM »
It doesn't work. The guy wins everything, or loses in a way that doesn't put him down at all, and he is pretty much hated by mostly everyone except for a few women and lil jimmies. A wrestler shouldn't keep the same gimmick over 10 years and have it written that he wins everything. It kills the development of everyone else as well as the product.

WWE is out to make a profit.  They profit off of wrestlers who people care about.  That includes if you hate the wrestler, because the more people who hate him will create more people who love him.  Cena has more than just women and children - you obviously don't pay much attention to audience reaction.

He doesn't "win everything" either.  He hasn't been a belt-holder for well over a year now.  Stop exaggerating.

You can deny it all you want.  Cena sells because people have opinions on him.  I like Cena for the simple fact that he pisses people off.  He's not the greatest in-ring talent, he's not the greatest promo cutter, he's essentially Hulk Hogan all over again - but it drives you guys nuts and that's just freaking hysterical.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Next year, maybe?
« Reply #961: March 01, 2013, 10:12:32 AM »
Wins and losses don't really matter anymore. It's how you are marketed.

WWE had higher profits and income margins in 2012 than they did in 2011. Clearly they are doing something right.

Also, it makes two people crazy. Don't get it twisted.

Offline Minty Fresh

• Mantra of the SSS
« Reply #962: March 01, 2013, 11:20:29 AM »
Also, it makes two people crazy. Don't get it twisted.

You took that personally.  I said "you guys" referencing the people who hate Cena to the point of frustration.  If you chose to lump yourself in with that group then it isn't my fault.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #963: March 01, 2013, 12:45:27 PM »
WE THE PEOPLE

Offline Minty Fresh

• Mantra of the SSS

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #965: March 01, 2013, 01:58:55 PM »
WE THE PEOPLE

Laurenitis is coming back?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #966: March 01, 2013, 04:16:25 PM »
WWE is out to make a profit.  They profit off of wrestlers who people care about.  That includes if you hate the wrestler, because the more people who hate him will create more people who love him.  Cena has more than just women and children - you obviously don't pay much attention to audience reaction.

He doesn't "win everything" either.  He hasn't been a belt-holder for well over a year now.  Stop exaggerating.

His fanbase is mostly women and children. That's why every event you hear the women and children scream "Let's Go Cena" and then the other half is all men. In the crowd, sure you can see men wearing Cena shirts. But I didn't say it was only women and children in the first place.

And yeah, Punk was the belt holder for the past year. But that's not what I meant and that doesn't constitute winning everything. Let's take a look at his past year of PPV's... first off he was in the main event in every PPV except for the one that he was out due to the leg injury, as well as the ones that The Rock has been back.

EM '13- Ryback got pinned in the 6 Man Tag Match after Cena did an AA to Dean Ambrose.
RR - Won the Rumble. Enter Once in a Lifetime II.
TLC - Lost to Ziggler because AJ turned on Cena... and for some reason, Ziggler's belt was on the line
SS - Cena somehow got a title shot again, even though he lost the two previous ones. Ryback got pinned.
HIAC - Cena didn't wrestle.
NOC - Punk won in a draw against Cena.
SS - HHH and Lesnar were main event. Big Show lost in the triple threat against Punk and Cena in the WWE Championship match.
MITB - Cena won his match for the WWE briefcase.
No Way Out - Cena beat Big Show in the cage match.
Over the Limit - Cena lost to Lauranitas because Big Show interfered.
ER - Cena beat Lesnar after going Super Cena, even though Lesnar was destroying him the entire fight. One of the MOTY candidates last year for sure.
WM - Once in a Lifetime ended in the way it should've with The Rock on top... but now for pt. II, Cena will win with the belt on the line.
EC 2012 - Cena beat Kane.

That was 2012-2013 year in review of Cena matches. He was given three rematches against Punk despite losing prior to each one. He was also given a rematch after a month off. To be given a title shot over and over buries the other talent.  He won almost all of the matches aside from the ones against Punk. You can say that put's Punk over, which it does in a sense, but the outcomes are the deciding factor. Punk was never able to beat Cena in a clear three count. Now, the one's that he didn't win, he never got pinned (except for Once in a Lifetime 1) so he never looked "at fault". Pushing such a wrestler, who's headlined WM for five years now, is insane. It doesn't build anyone else in the roster. It obviously sells, somehow, and I understand that's what they are doing. But there has never been another wrestler like him. Your comparison of Hogan is the closest thing but this is way beyond Hogan. The thing that frustrates me the most is that he makes everyone look poorly due to his Super Cena and over coming the odds crap. It's not Cena at fault. It's WWE. And I continue to say that everytime this is brought up. But I will continue to dread Cena matches because of how predictable the outcome is.

And you can be happy with how I feel about Cena but it's freaking weird to be honest though.

Offline Minty Fresh

• Mantra of the SSS
« Reply #967: March 02, 2013, 04:48:36 PM »
Writing diatribes about your hatred of the character only further proves it's value.  If it didn't matter it would go away.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #968: March 02, 2013, 05:47:07 PM »
Writing diatribes about your hatred of the character only further proves it's value.  If it didn't matter it would go away.

Lol at least read and acknowledge the post rather than ignore the problem.

Offline Minty Fresh

• Mantra of the SSS
« Reply #969: March 02, 2013, 06:23:13 PM »
Lol at least read and acknowledge the post rather than ignore the problem.

I read it in its entirety - you still care enough to write about it.

I get it.  I hated Hogan in the 80's and early 90's - my father loved Hogan because we hated the way he ALWAYS kicked out of finishers, ALWAYS glared at his opponent who ALWAYS hit him repeatedly in the head.  Then how he ALWAYS "Hulked up" and shook his head and pumped his fists as the opponent ALWAYS tried to punch him in vain.  Then how he ALWAYS pointed at his opponent prior to punching him three times, dropping the leg drop and winning the match.  Every.  Single.  Time.

The gimmick is timeless.  It works because haterz hate it.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #970: March 02, 2013, 08:21:49 PM »
this conversation sucks.

Offline Minty Fresh

• Mantra of the SSS
« Reply #971: March 02, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
this conversation sucks.

WE THE PEOPLE!

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #972: March 02, 2013, 09:30:54 PM »
i just can't get into Jack Swagger, a more boring wrestler there has never been.  The gimmick is kind of dumb, and once the bell starts, it's all over.  Give Ambrose his push.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #973: March 02, 2013, 09:54:25 PM »
i just can't get into Jack Swagger, a more boring wrestler there has never been.  The gimmick is kind of dumb, and once the bell starts, it's all over.  Give Ambrose his push.

they are giving ambrose a push ... the entire shield is getting a push.  they haven't lost. 

swagger is an excellent technical wrestler.  most experts will tell you the same.

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #974: March 02, 2013, 10:19:15 PM »
they are giving ambrose a push ... the entire shield is getting a push.  they haven't lost. 

swagger is an excellent technical wrestler.  most experts will tell you the same.

so was brad armstrong.  I just find swagger to be a boring wrestler.